Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM’s new Ultra Cruise: Hands-free driving on all paved roads in US/Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a deposit on a Cadillac Lyriq. If GM doesn’t get Ultra Cruise done, I won’t buy it.
I see you are shopping for cars. If you had put that bit of info earlier, we’d understand where you are coming from.

When it comes to autonomy companies have missed more deadlines than they have kept. Same for EVs. Be aware of that while you shop. Good luck with your shopping.

ps: There are literally thousands of FSD beta videos on YouTube and thousands of comments here. So, you can easily figure out the state of FSD. Who knows where Cruise at - we have zero transparency. They could be close to ultra cruise or years away.

Reactions: stcptl
People talking about Waymo and Tesla in the same sentence forget that sensors are not the real difference between them. They are completely different automatons, that use their sensors differently.

Waymo is a GPS-based virtual "drive by wire" system that only operates on a small "geofenced" section of Phoenix, that is moreover all clean and wide perpendicular roadways. The virtual "guide wire" consists of GPS lock to routes that are micro-mapped (down to the inch), and that are continuously being updated by a fleet of "mapping" or "follow" cars". Each Waymo taxi then follows the "guide wires" and uses Lidar and other sensors to complement the grid so as to avoid collisions with obstacles. The Waymo model can operate urban taxis, but isn't practical to scale, let alone handle "all the paved roads in the USA".

Tesla cars use a standalone sensor set (mostly the cameras at this point) with a "Neural Network deep-learned" set of rules, and a (shrinking) residual layer of procedural code. Each Tesla is only using GPS for correlation with a garden-variety GPS coarse map to tell it e.g. where to turn, how to reach a destination. Each drive is "discovered" on the fly by the car, with very little, if any, accrued know-how from one pass through the area to the next. Software and Map updates is how skill is incremented. As the deep-learning is refined, all cars become able to navigate all roadways that operate on the same set of rules. Not in downtown Mumbai :eek: until THAT dataset is built up.

The difference is enormous. Not only are Teslas able to navigate in areas that have never been micro-mapped, that the car has never experienced, but the sensors also play fundamentally different roles, so that comparisons of their sensor technology offer very little opportunity for comparing merits, say of Lidar vs. Vision Only. There's nothing there to compare.

Companies like GM, that are new to the autonomy problem, seem to believe that they don't need the massive experience data set that (only) Tesla has acquired to "deep learning" train the AI. It seems feasible enough at first to refine procedural code to handle every situation. But it doesn't work; there are too many variables, and the code becomes unmanageable. It's a mistake everyone makes starting out, Elon Musk included. This is where the optimistic time-tables come from, not any intentional deception.

There's an interesting youtube clip where a Waymo "robotaxi" and a Tesla with FSD Beta 10.4 are tasked with driving to the same destination. The Tesla is, moreover, crippled with hard speed limits. The Tesla beats the Waymo by 2 minutes on a 12 (?) minute run. The interesting thing is why. The Tesla is free to pick and alter the route, and gets on and off the freeway for short sections. The Waymo is locked to its street grid. In real world scenarios the Tesla also reads the traffic conditions from the coarse GPS map (like what's shown on the car's screen with Satellite View), and can readjust the route as needed to optimize, as most anyone using NOA has experienced.

=====
Given the erratic behavior of humans, IMHO it's unlikely any fully autonomous vehicles will ever be completely "done" at the level of kitchen appliances. That doesn't reduce their utility or increased safety.
=====

BTW, I'm surprised that none of the YouTube Beta FSD users seem to know about voice commands. It's far easier to speak a destination than tap it on the screen. For instance "Navigate to Safeway on Mountain Blvd in Oakland". Or "Navigate to 1214 Allston way in Berkeley". The only gotcha is selecting e.g. a specific store out of several in the area. I once found myself NOA'ing along on the freeway to the wrong "Berkeley Bowl Grocery" location, listening to Spotify, and not noticing until half-way there :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Link ? Have they mapped my neighborhood ?

Even 2D maps aren’t correct. I don’t exactly live in the woods - just 10 miles from world’s largest software company.
Mobileye doesn't use or rely on traditional maps.
Their REM map is a 3D vector map with XYZ meaning it includes elevation.
There's a very high chance that your neighborhood have been mapped.
Mobileye goal was most of US by end of 2020 and all of Europe by Q1 2020.
Well this is the end of 2021. There is a very high chance that BMWs made in Q4 2018 and afterward with ADAS package has driven past/in your neighborhood especially since you live near Microsoft HQ. Low chance but also Ford Mach-e, VW ID-4 and other late VW models also collect mapping data.

If you want to learn more about the actual mapping then watch this from 18 mins to 40 mins

You should tell that to Waymo and others. After all Waymo still has people manually labeling exactly where a car should drive on every road and even alternate routes on parking lots. Tesla has 500 labellers and i’m sure Cruise and others have too.

When are you going to “grow up” from college level understanding of software to real world applications ?
Again as i have stated. Mapping in most SDC companies are either mostly machine learned (partially automated) or completely 100% machine learned (fully automated) in the case of Mobileye.

Pony.AI went from 6 months to map and launch in a new city in 2017 to 2 weeks to map and launch in a new city in 2021.
Again the myth that HD map and lidar cannot scale has been debunked at every level.
Anyone still repeating it is knowingly spreading misinformation.

Its funny again how Tesla fanatics are convinced that vision has improved and will keep improving and yet think that HD map tech stack has remained the same since 2005.
Its literally mind blowing how their abuse logic works.

aXLA1uu.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BrerBear
Funny how other companies can underestimate the L5 timeline and not get called to task, but when Elon does it...

I typed out a rather long rant here, but decided to delete it all. No reason to add additional stirring to this self-stirring pot! ;)
That's Because others weren't giving a timeline for L5 but for L4 geofenced.
What I do kinda take issue with is number 5. I just don't think that, as lay people, we have a good enough understanding of the abilities and limitations of the various sensor options to really be able to form a valid opinion. After all, Elon said that SpaceX does use lidar to dock Dragon with the ISS; it's very good at what it can do, but it does have its limitations... just as all sensors do.

At one point, one of the guys at Tesla was asked why they were removing radar. After explaining it on a technical level, he also explained it for dummies like me; "using radar for this problem is like trying to see with your ears."

But yes, no matter what sensor(s) ends up being the Holy Grail for FSD, some way of keeping it/them clear, clean, and unobstructed truly seems like a no-brainer.

What it sounds like is your attributer of truth is Elon musk, he's your holy bible and whatever he says is canon. Even though its completely opposite of every published and deployed scientific and commercial facts and data.
Elon is always a few moves ahead of everyone else. He has orchestrated this plan of releasing Beta FSD on a wider basis because Tesla is rapidly approaching the base of the exponential improvement curve. Dojo (and the other tools needed) to rapidly improve the capabilities of FSD are darn near ready to go.
Did you ever think, hmm let me find out what other's plans are. This sounds like a cave man saying he lives in the most luxurious palace in the entire world yet he hasn't been outside of his cave in his entire life. Not knowing there is an entire world out there and how it works.
Prior to watching the AI Day presentation, my crystal ball said "we're at least five years out." It has since changed its tune to L3 by the end of next year.

Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, it's going to be one hell of a fun ride to be on.

And if you still haven't watched the AI Day presentation, GO WATCH IT!!! Yeah, it's a bit over three hours long. Eat that elephant in small bites if you have to, but eat that elephant! So much of the stuff the nay sayers are saying on this board is covered in depth in the AI Day presentation. And it's presented in a clear cut, "here's your answer" format; no hand wavy crap.

Again like other Tesla fans you implore people to watch AI Day just like people who implored people to watch Autonomy day while they preached that it was proof that L5 would be here in 2020. Yet here we are about to go into 2022 and absolutely nothing.

Now years later, Tesla fans like clockwork are now saying WATCH AI Day. Yet have you watched the AI day of other companies? Have you watched the AI Day of Cruise? Have you watched the AI days of Waymo, Mobileye? No you haven't. Which makes you the CAVEMAN.

BTW, I'm surprised that none of the YouTube Beta FSD users seem to know about voice commands. It's far easier to speak a destination than tap it on the screen
I'm sure the testers on YouTube are well aware of that, but avoid the use of voice commands when giving a commentary for privacy reasons (the same reason for fuzzing out addresses on the screen).

Again like other Tesla fans you implore people to watch AI Day just like people who implored people to watch Autonomy day while they preached that it was proof that L5 would be here in 2020. Yet here we are about to go into 2022 and absolutely nothing.

Now years later, Tesla fans like clockwork are now saying WATCH AI Day. Yet have you watched the AI day of other companies? Have you watched the AI Day of Cruise? Have you watched the AI days of Waymo, Mobileye? No you haven't. Which makes you the CAVEMAN.
Your by-line asks how many times you have to be right before people start listening to you. Perhaps fewer ad hominem attacks might help?

As for watching different presentations, well yes, MobileEye have made some nice ones, as have others .. and just like Tesla I'm sure they use cherry-picked example videos to show off their products .. they are, after all, essentially sales events of one kind or another. Behind the scenes I'm sure progress is being made, some of it very exciting, some of it rather mundane (or not so mundane) setbacks.

But, right now, we have only two actual in-the-field systems undergoing limited public trials at some level or other .. Waymo and Tesla. All the others are, from this standpoint, still vaporware.

I see you are shopping for cars. If you had put that bit of info earlier, we’d understand where you are coming from.

When it comes to autonomy companies have missed more deadlines than they have kept. Same for EVs. Be aware of that while you shop. Good luck with your shopping.

ps: There are literally thousands of FSD beta videos on YouTube and thousands of comments here. So, you can easily figure out the state of FSD. Who knows where Cruise at - we have zero transparency. They could be close to ultra cruise or years away.

Yea, I’m hedging my bets and don’t mind waiting 1 or 2 years. With used car values as high as they are, I’m considering getting a decent EV until some FSD/Ultra Cruise level L2/L3 is available (had a Model 3 before but now on an ICE).

Your by-line asks how many times you have to be right before people start listening to you. Perhaps fewer ad hominem attacks might help?
What would you call flat earthers and anti-vaxxers? what would you call someone who says Waymo is just a glorified AEB system? What would you say to someone who says systems with Lidar use so much power that any EV car that uses it would be fully drained after each trip? And i could go on and on of the pure nonesense i have heard from Tesla fans.
As for watching different presentations, well yes, MobileEye have made some nice ones, as have others .. and just like Tesla I'm sure they use cherry-picked example videos to show off their products .. they are, after all, essentially sales events of one kind or another. Behind the scenes I'm sure progress is being made, some of it very exciting, some of it rather mundane (or not so mundane) setbacks.
I'm not talking about demos...oh i forgot only Tesla has "in-depth walkthrough" on autonomy and AI.
But, right now, we have only two actual in-the-field systems undergoing limited public trials at some level or other .. Waymo and Tesla. All the others are, from this standpoint, still vaporware.
Which puts you in the same category as people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
Instead of googling and actually finding out what others are doing, you make statements like this.
Which isn't surprising since you believe camera and radar have the same adverse weather performance.

What would you call flat earthers and anti-vaxxers? what would you call someone who says Waymo is just a glorified AEB system? What would you say to someone who says systems with Lidar use so much power that any EV car that uses it would be fully drained after each trip? And i could go on and on of the pure nonesense i have heard from Tesla fans.

I'm not talking about demos...oh i forgot only Tesla has "in-depth walkthrough" on autonomy and AI.

Which puts you in the same category as people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
Instead of googling and actually finding out what others are doing, you make statements like this.
Which isn't surprising since you believe camera and radar have the same adverse weather performance.
Shrugs. Well, if all you can do is shout and rant at people, then there is not much point in discussing anything with you. My "statements" were:

(a) That MobilEye and Tesla both try to present their respective efforts in as good a light as possible, and statements from both should be treated with caution and informed skepticism.
(b) That the only public (open) trials to date are Waymo and Tesla.

What, specifically, do you disagree with about these statements? Apart from bleating that "I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about"? Where, for example, can I go today to try out a MobilEye powered semi-automonous or autonomous car?

Ad hominem attacks are puerile .. you will get much more traction here if you explain why you disagree with others, or why you think they are mistaken.

Which makes you the CAVEMAN.
Wow, so simply posting my opinion makes me a caveman?

You, Mr. Oh So Much Smarter than you, has to lower himself down to name calling?

But then again, I'd expect nothing less from someone with the most narcissistic statement I've ever read in his signature.

No reason to even engage in discourse with someone who devolves to name calling as his first response to someone's opinion.

Nearly every one of your posts could be used as a positive test for narcissism.

Welcome to my ignore list.. please enjoy your stay.

Wow, so simply posting my opinion makes me a caveman?

You, Mr. Oh So Much Smarter than you, has to lower himself down to name calling?

But then again, I'd expect nothing less from someone with the most narcissistic statement I've ever read in his signature.

No reason to even engage in discourse with someone who devolves to name calling as his first response to someone's opinion.

Nearly every one of your posts could be used as a positive test for narcissism.

Welcome to my ignore list.. please enjoy your stay.
"the caveman" - someone who lives in his own bubble and has no clue what's going on beyond it because they haven't even tried to leave it once. Which you just proved.

• Disagree
Reactions: drtimhill
Will Tesla ever implement capacitive touch sensing on the steering wheel or eye monitoring instead of the steering wheel nags which are kind of annoying?
FSD Beta does use eye monitoring via the cabin camera. I'm not sure if this is also the case in the mainstream release, as I've gotten behind on public release branch functionality.

But yes, you'll get a reminder to pay attention if the cabin camera senses you looking away from the road for too long. And IMO, as of beta 10.5, it's a bit too sensitive.

So, they monitor you using the camera to make sure you are paying attention ? So, I guess similar to NOA in intent ...

If Cruise can pull it off and make it work as widely and as well as FSD Beta would do in 2 years - without the Big Data Tesla has, that would mean you really don't need that much data for decent city driving. Would be fascinating to watch how this turns out.
Thank-You-Gif-the-Office-Steve-Carell.gif

Finally someone puts two and two together. Seriously thank you!
I have yet to see a Tesla proponent accept this straight forward logic or even come to that realization till today.
Every one I have seen have avoided logic like this like a plague or created some twisted mental gymnastics to get around it.

Typically Tesla fan would say something along the lines of: "if Tesla does A, it will be the greatest achievement of mankind."
Then when asked what if Company B does it is it still the greatest? They would say "ofcourse not. it means absolutely nothing."

Basically it only matters when Tesla does it, its because they are the greatest in AI, dojo, no one has their FSD computer, 10 years ahead, billions of miles of data, they are the only one with data, yaddadada... But of-course if some other company does the exact same thing it all of a sudden means absolutely nothing even though it was supposedly only could be possible due to the above.

This is why I have been so adamant in mentioning Mobileye's Supervision and Huawei's Autopilot.
Because you don't have to wait to 2023. Its all happening in December 2021 and H1 2022 in a tougher to drive China.

What’s the consensus on city streets FSD timeline?
There isn't any, really, other than "it'll be done when it's done."

A lot of guys have posted their "I think FSD will be done..." opinions here, but that's all they are... opinions.

Even Elon has pretty much given up on estimated completion dates, as his estimates so far have been so very wrong. Honestly, I think (again.. opinion!) that Elon probably has a pretty good idea of when it'll be done, but at this point he realizes that he's cried wolf too many times, so he's keeping it to himself.

Hence why it's the "Multi-billion dollar question." ;)

Things we do know today: 1. sensor incompatibility is a giant problem
What do you mean by "sensor incompatibility?"
2.Update lags render radar ineffective.
Radar signals travel at the speed of light. There is no problem with "update lag," and I frankly don't even understand where you'd get such an idea.
3.. Lidar has exceedingly high sensitivity to precise and permanent labeling, making it both expensive and complex to use without both highly precise and highly accurate environmental data.
Lidar is just a sensor; it can be used with or without maps, in the same way that cameras can be used with or without maps.
Thus, I would bet on Andrej Karpathy and others like them who understand how to describe their process in terms that common people think they understand. They call these things like "Deep Learning" and "Computer Vision"
Literally every AV company uses deep learning and computer vision.
The people who sell lidar and radar is preferred solutions haven't really understood the problem they are trying to solve.
Why would you make such a claim? It doesn't even make sense. Every company that uses lidar or radar also uses cameras, and they're all trying to solve the same problem.
What bugs remain are essentially exclusively recognition and path planning issues... Detection of obstacles a-la LIDAR or Radar is, as far as we can tell within the sample size here (25k cars are running beta by my extrapolation), a solved problem.
Object detection and planning are almost the entire challenge of making an AV. It doesn't make sense to trivialize them. And those challenges are very much still present in the current version of FSD beta -- there are videos all over the place of it trying to drive directly into poles, bollards, construction signs, and many other objects.
After all Waymo still has people manually labeling exactly where a car should drive on every road and even alternate routes on parking lots.
That isn't true; mapping is essentially entirely automated. Changes in the environment vs. the map are even communicated between cars automatically.
Were you to have a more technical background you might understand the importance of different time in response (radar being slow) and able to function without precise and accurate known environment (Lidar cannot do that, by design).
I'm a subject matter expert. Radars aren't slow. Lidar is just a sensor, and it can be used with or without maps.
My experience with 10.5 in routine suburban driving is really, really positive.
There are already real L4 driverless robotaxis operating in suburban environments.
because once they start relaxing the driver supervision requirements then it becomes time to talking regulatory process, and that's not going to be fast.
There are many places where AVs are already legal, e.g. Arizona.
Tesla is rapidly approaching the base of the exponential improvement curve.
Contemporary machine learning techniques exhibit power-law scaling, which is a form of diminishing returns. There is no exponential improvement curve at Tesla or anywhere else.
But then, we'll start to see very noticeable improvements with every bi-weekly release as Dojo starts throwing its muscle at the problem.
Other companies, e.g. Google / Waymo, already have much more powerful computers than Dojo. If all you needed were more computing power, AVs would already have been solved.
And if you still haven't watched the AI Day presentation, GO WATCH IT!!! Yeah, it's a bit over three hours long. Eat that elephant in small bites if you have to, but eat that elephant! So much of the stuff the nay sayers are saying on this board is covered in depth in the AI Day presentation.
That presentation was aimed at college students, or maybe early grad students. It did not contain anything at all that could be considered novel by the machine learning community.
Waymo is a GPS-based virtual "drive by wire" system that only operates on a small "geofenced" section of Phoenix, that is moreover all clean and wide perpendicular roadways.
Waymo operates cars in 25 cities, and drives long-haul trucks on the freeways. Waymo seems poised to launch a robotaxi service in San Fracisco, one of the densest and most difficult cities in the US to drive in.
The Waymo model can operate urban taxis
Urban taxis are a huge fraction of the economic value of AVs.
Tesla cars use a standalone sensor set (mostly the cameras at this point) with a "Neural Network deep-learned" set of rules, and a (shrinking) residual layer of procedural code.
Every AV company uses neural networks and deep learning.
Companies like GM, that are new to the autonomy problem, seem to believe that they don't need the massive experience data set that (only) Tesla has acquired to "deep learning" train the AI. It seems feasible enough at first to refine procedural code to handle every situation. But it doesn't work; there are too many variables, and the code becomes unmanageable.
Self-driving is not a data problem. Deep nets that can run at real-time on hardware that can feasibly be installed in a car have at most a few million parameters. They do not have the capacity to gain anything from extremely large datasets.

Multiple companies have real, driverless robotaxis today, and they did it with less access to data than Tesla. They are existence proofs that data is not the bottleneck for making an AV.
There's an interesting youtube clip where a Waymo "robotaxi" and a Tesla with FSD Beta 10.4 are tasked with driving to the same destination. The Tesla is, moreover, crippled with hard speed limits. The Tesla beats the Waymo by 2 minutes on a 12 (?) minute run. The interesting thing is why. The Tesla is free to pick and alter the route, and gets on and off the freeway for short sections. The Waymo is locked to its street grid.
The Waymo is 10,000x to 100,000x more reliable than the Tesla. The Tesla gets there two minutes faster. Which one do you put your children in?