Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM’s new Ultra Cruise: Hands-free driving on all paved roads in US/Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also it will be years before it is useful on city streets. A very familiar situation…

Maybe but we don't know that. Cruise obviously has autonomous driving that works well on city streets. If GM adapted that tech, they could make Ultra Cruise work well on city streets. Just because Tesla's FSD sucks at city driving does not mean that other companies' FSD will also suck at city driving. But that is why we need to see Ultra Cruise in action, to see how good it is on city streets.

Hopefully someone at some point will focus on making a car that doesn’t crash.

Making a car that never crashes is impossible. It is not just about preventing the car from running into things, that's doable. But sometimes, other vehicles will collide with you and you can't avoid the collision.

Maybe but we don't know that. Cruise obviously has autonomous driving that works well on city streets. If GM adapted that tech, they could make Ultra Cruise work well on city streets.

Yeah we don’t but we will see. There’s the issue of bringing the capability and the issue of it being useful (probably pretty hard to argue the Cruise driving is actually useful if there is a driver in the seat - except for preventing collisions of course, as seen in videos).

Haven’t taken a Cruise or Waymo ride so no idea what they’re like but I assume it is pretty unpleasant. Unfortunately there are no videos addressing these aspects. Or at least I have not bothered to watch them, and I am just making broad assumptions here. No need to spend my time on that since few people seem interested in producing videos with information in them.

It’s interesting how even in today’s world you have to experience something yourself to have any idea of what is going on.

Making a car that never crashes is impossible.

Obviously I am talking about preventable collisions!!! Sure. The idea is to try to eliminate preventable collisions.

Haven’t taken a Cruise or Waymo ride so no idea what they’re like but I assume it is pretty unpleasant. Unfortunately there are no videos addressing these aspects. Or at least I have not bothered to watch them, and I am just making broad assumptions here. No need to spend my time on that since few people seem interested in producing videos with information in them.

Not sure why you assume Waymo and Cruise rides are unpleasant. There are plenty of videos of Cruise and Waymo that address the ride quality and the riders usually seem very happy. The available evidence actually suggests the majority of rides are very pleasant.

Obviously I am talking about preventable collisions!!! Sure. The idea is to try to eliminate preventable collisions.

Yes that is the goal of every AV company. Waymo, Cruise etc are all working to eliminate preventable collisions. So not sure why you say that you wish someone would work on that since lots of AV companies are literally working on that now.

There are plenty of videos of Cruise and Waymo that address the ride quality and the riders usually seem very happy. The available evidence actually suggests the majority of rides are very pleasant.

I could say the same about most (though not all) FSD Beta videos.

Hopefully this is something they have worked on. As we have discussed before, as a convenience feature, remember it has to be fast as well (not cautious). This is an additional hard requirement added on top of the robotaxi requirement. So will be interesting to see how the whole UltraCruise package will come together.
(Of course this goes away if we’re talking about a L3-L5 feature set where people will be a lot more tolerant of behaviors since there is minimal cost and no liability.)

So not sure why you say that you wish someone would work on that since lots of AV companies are literally working on that now

I mean on the vehicles being sold to people. I realize they are working on it but seems like there are a lot of distractions. It’s not clear that building and selling those types of features would be revenue maximizing.

Last edited:
No, you are not missing any. But Cruise is a company that does driverless cars. Super Cruise, Ultra Cruise and Blue Cruise are L2 systems. So they are not the same thing.
Why not make one good Cruise version? Seems like it would be easier. May be ok but from the videos I watched for highway only works ok so long as you don’t go over 80 or any curves in the road.

Interesting, but let's be clear, that (I'm pretty sure) is a view of the NN's interpretation of the Lidar output, which is quite different from the actual raw lidar data.

No, you are seeing the raw lidar output, with just some colors added. You asked about the resolution. Waymo says the resolution is very high so the 3D point cloud is very dense as you see in the picture I shared. The resolution is high enough that the NN is able to detect and classify individual pedestrians, cyclists, car door open etc... So to your question of whether lidar has high resolution to detect and classify objects, the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Why not make one good Cruise version? Seems like it would be easier. May be ok but from the videos I watched for highway only works ok so long as you don’t go over 80 or any curves in the road.

They can't just make one good cruise version because they are from different companies. "Super Cruise" and "Ultra Cruise" are GM's L2 systems. "Blue Cruise" is Ford's L2 system.

When you say it can't go above 80 or any curves, which system are you talking about? GM's super cruise or Ford's blue cruise?

...When you say it can't go above 80 or any curves, which system are you talking about? GM's super cruise or Ford's blue cruise?

The article below explains how Blue Cruise is less capable than Super Cruise

The question is: Does Blue Cruise uses HD Maps just like GM and Waymo do?

Reactions: Tam
yeah, I figured it was Blue Cruise but I asked the question for clarification because @Yelobird appeared to be confusing the difference cruise's. I know Blue Cruise is inferior to Super Cruise.
I was simply not understanding when you said Cruise is the company and there were 3-10 whatever versions of it. If it’s A company why would they make so many confusing variants of good to crap?

I was simply not understanding when you said Cruise is the company and there were 3-10 whatever versions of it. If it’s A company why would they make so many confusing variants of good to crap?

"Cruise" is name of a company doing robotaxis. Nothing to do with Super Cruise, Ultra Cruise or Blue Cruise.

"Super Cruise" is name of a L2 driver assist system for highway driving by GM.

"Ultra Cruise" is name of an upcoming L2 driver assist system for city driving by GM.

"Blue Cruise" is name of a L2 driver assist system for highway driving by Ford.

They just happen to share the same word "cruise" in the name but that is a coincidence. The company "Cruise" is not making Super Cruise, Ultra Cruise or Blue Cruise. They having to do with each other.

• Informative
Reactions: DarkForest
Cruise has only one variant: Autonomous Vehicles. It's classified as L4 with no human driver picking up rides such as in San Francisco, Austin, and Phoenix.

Reactions: Yelobird
It will launch with 2 or 3 million miles of paved roads but will expand to include all/most paved roads.

It will be interesting to see who gets there first but after all these years I have lost all faith in Elon’s FSD predictions and my concern with FSD is that the sensor suite will turn out to be inadequate. I mean we don’t even have a single radar anymore. Ultra Cruise will probably include LiDAR too in addition to radars and cameras.
Oh you of little faith...