TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

GM Aims to Dominate EV Market

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by tonybelding, Jul 8, 2008.

1. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

From Car & Driver Magazine. . . .

All you need to do is change the dates, and it could have been written yesterday. :rolleyes:

2. mt2

mt2 Member

That's funny, Tony. What was the original date of the article?

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Yeah what's the date of the article? I'm gonna guess some time during the 70's oil crisis.

4. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

It was from 1980, I don't know which month.

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

That's a good one! If in fact GM had "stayed the course" with EV1 and continued applying advanced technologies this would have been a factual piece of history.

6. doug

Except of course the dates would still be all wrong. EV-1 didn't happen till the 90's.

7. graham

graham Active Member

True, from a production point of view. But they debuted the prototype (as the Impact) in the late 80s I think. It just took quite a while to bring it to production as the EV1.

8. doug

I think production is what we're talking about, isn't it? The Impact was introduced in 1990, which technically still is the '80s. But the article said, "GM ... has publicly committed itself to mass-producing electric cars by the mid-to-late 1980s – probably 100,000 per year or more." First gen EV-1 was a 1997 model year, and during the whole program it never reached mass production. So even if you relaxed "mass-producing" to simply "producing", you'd still have to add 10 years to the time line.

9. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

My how things change. The Volt is currently slated to have a 360 mile gas-assisted range and there is talk of a cheaper 20 mile battery-only option as well as the 40 mile version.

If only they had had the vision to push automotive battery development through the 80s and 90s - but back then, they had no need.

10. doug