Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM and Ford are promoting hands free AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This just seems like a lot of fanfare for something not that exciting (for those that keep up with other movers in the space). It's announcing Tesla's Navigate on Autopilot (from October 2018) is now available for GM cars (in 2021). The only difference (or improvement if you see it that way) is how they check for driver attentiveness. Instead of Tesla checking for torque applied to the steering wheel, GM is checking for eye-gaze.

Ultra Cruise (Oct 2021) is basically a mix of regular Autopilot features (and FSD beta if we're including non-production features that some customers can get) from even more years ago Tesla, but limited to less roads than Tesla's regular/old Autopilot.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
This just seems like a lot of fanfare for something not that exciting (for those that keep up with other movers in the space). It's announcing Tesla's Navigate on Autopilot (from October 2018) is now available for GM cars (in 2021). The only difference (or improvement if you see it that way) is how they check for driver attentiveness. Instead of Tesla checking for torque applied to the steering wheel, GM is checking for eye-gaze.

Ultra Cruise (Oct 2021) is basically a mix of regular Autopilot features (and FSD beta if we're including non-production features that some customers can get) from even more years ago Tesla, but limited to less roads than Tesla's regular/old Autopilot.
Yeah, I get all that. But my question was basically, when will I be able to not have to have my hand on the steering wheel/yoke with Tesla's AP. I mean, isnt that why Tesla activated the in cabin camera? Why are GM and Ford drivers able to use AP with zero hands on the wheel, but advanced Technology Tesla is still using the archaic (and easily defeatable) torque check on the steering wheel?

Im thinking how about considering dedicating less resources to fart sounds and maybe a bit more dedicated to the AP?

...when...

Other companies' firmware products have been matured enough, have been tested already, so they are general production-quality. Those who use them are not beta testers. They are real consumers.

That's not the case for Tesla. Tesla is still testing its firmware. Guess who are the testers? Yes, I would think I am a consumer but no, in this case, I am a beta tester!

Thus, when Tesla's firmware will be mature enough for general production quality, that's when handsfree will be expected.