Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM and Honda Team Up to Make Fuel Cell Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggies07

Nov 8, 2012
DFW
*clears throat* Shouldn't GM be waaaay ahead of this just like with the EV? In the "Who Killed the Electric Car" video, you have a GM spokesman test drive a prototype of one and then goes onto to say it won't really happen because of how the technology needs to develop.....and that was in the early to mid '90s!!

Well.....GM should be dominating in this area of technology too right, if they had been working on it for over a decade and a half, but they have to "team up" with Honda.

hahahaha. And again, GM is a loser. Why are they not focusing on creating better EVs? And why are they teaming up all of a sudden? Afraid of an electric car company called Tesla.........

Fuel Cell Cars Back In The Limelight As GM, Honda Team Up On Mission To Attack Costs - Forbes

Infrastructure is going to be a killer. The faster Tesla gets the superchargers and battery swappers built, the further behind these guys will be. They have to make the fuel, transport it and sell/dispense it. Are they going to pay to build out the refueling stations? DOA

They just trying the old "We'll have a hydrogen economy any minute now so there's no need for any pesky fuel economy standards" trick again. It worked once, why not again?

Yep, as soon as CARB fell for it in the 90s, they crushed the EV-1s. They are almost certainly going to build compliance cars that suck and sell poorly so they can say "see, the market is not interested in this technology".

I heard on the news a summary of this from an Edmunds.com analyst. She said the goal of the Honda/GM alliance was 20k fuel cell automobiles by 2020.

It'll be way too late by then. Tesla will have about 20k or more Model S on the road by the end of this year alone. The problem that companies like Honda have is that they don't think outside the box. The Honda executive keeps thinking that an electric car must be fueled like a gasoline car (Goto fuel station, pump fuel), which is why Honda is stuck on H2 as a storage medium for its big electrics. I don't think they take seriously the convenience of home charging. In any case, there is no way that Honda will be able to match the Tesla infrastructure. Generating, compressing, and storing H2 is a pain.

Hydrogen can be highly flammable and an explosion at an accident scene (or refueling station) would be quite tragic. Teslas have been involved in accidents and so far no "explosions". Is it worth the risk to drive on hydrogen?

sorry but i dont like storing my fuel at 5000-10,000psi especially near my house, if anything ruptured that tank, its over, shrapnel will tear through you like a bee hive round. Also, there is no economical way of making hydrogen, it requires massive energy input to get very little output.

EV's are the correct path