Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gm backing off competing for 200 mile range car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is "backing off". They never put a firm date nor said they had a solid plan to bring this car into the market for certain. They just said they were working on the tech and had that as a goal.

Not sure if this is "backing off". They never put a firm date nor said they had a solid plan to bring this car into the market for certain. They just said they were working on the tech and had that as a goal.

Ah, that's true. It's more of the little kid saying "pick me! pick me!" waving his hand in the air because he's not being noticed. Sorry GM, man-up or shut up. Interesting that they had
Doug Parks, GM's vice president of global product programs, disclosed the effort on Monday at GM's battery laboratory and test facility in Warren, Mich
but now they say on CNBC that there's a chance it might not even make production? hahahaha. wow. :rolleyes:

I don't get it. They say Tesla's battery design is nothing special, but they can't even get going on a competing model?

But with mounting concerns about the slow consumer response to the first wave of battery electric vehicles, Doug Parks, GM's global product development chief, cautioned The Associated Press that it was not yet sure if or when such a vehicle—projected to cost just $30,000—would ever go into production.

WTF!?! That just makes me mad. And the arrogance of this guy.

So within less than 1 week the stories have gone from "watch out Tesla, GM is coming to eat your lunch" (which, when you think about it, is completely bizarre. Elon has already turned the world upside down) to "never mind, nobody wants EVs". Maybe they think nobody wants THEIR EVs. OTOH maybe their scout/spy on Tesla team came back to corporate with a "we're screwed" :tongue: ML

Actually if the competitors are smart they will downplay their development efforts while not bashing the EV anymore (no leg to stand on with Teslas success, plus it will make it harder for them to ask people to forget about those arguments when they do finally ship a competitive EV).

They would then continue active development in order to keep other competitors complacent. Obvious corporate strategy.

No doubt a good argument, Steve, but I would say it's more likely that GM is the complacent one. Yes, they're working on advanced EV transpo solutions, but No, their heart isn't in it. This while it's do or die for Tesla, they are disrupting.
I'll believe GM can steer itself successfully into the changing future when I see it. Won't hold my breath, (mean time, I'll be watching how they're doing from inside a Tesla) ML

My read is that GM's intended message was "we're investing more than zero effort in ..." (partly to placate government folks, perhaps) which the media ran with as "GM said something and it had EV in it so they must be competing with Tesla, ZOMG there's our headline" and then GM replied with "WTF, calm down. That's not what we said."

I think this is great! First GM, a large and respected brand, validate that Tesla is on the right track. Then, having accidentally convinced some people who either never heard of Tesla or thought they were a joke, to actually think about a usable electric vehicle, they back off! Again leaving the market for Tesla. Yay!

I think this is great! First GM, a large and respected brand, validate that Tesla is on the right track. Then, having accidentally convinced some people who either never heard of Tesla or thought they were a joke, to actually think about a usable electric vehicle, they back off! Again leaving the market for Tesla. Yay!

GM,

"Welcome to our new battery plant!"

"Tesla? Um Yeah, we can do that."

"Not saying we will though."

"Did you see this shiny thing over here?"

WTF!?! That just makes me mad. And the arrogance of this guy.

One thing I think people should remember is that there is a faction of GM that is heavily invested in hydrogen fuel cell EVs. In July, GM announced a major partnership with Honda to bring a jointly devolved FCEV powertrain to market by 2020.

GM may be backing off from its original statements because of protest from their own hydrogen backers. They are feeling the pressure from Toyota as well, which is pushing FCEV technology.

There's probably a lot of infighting between company divisions and dealership groups about whether to ditch ICE, and if so, what should replace it.

Like I said before ...

... the difference is that Musk (Tesla) saw an area for advancement and took it. Risked everything. Solved problems. Troubleshot issues. Sleepless nights.

GM is a defensive posture. It is a response ... a P*ssing match, if you will. I (for one) believe that they may have had the urge, the desire, and the pockets (er, govt pockets) to do this, but they lacked the drive and the passion. They (GM) need to stick to what they do - make gasoline burning engines and sell them to who wants them. In fact, resist the urge to make a battery powered car, velcro, or ice cream. It is not their bag.

2¢ donated ...

One thing I think people should remember is that there is a faction of GM that is heavily invested in hydrogen fuel cell EVs. In July, GM announced a major partnership with Honda to bring a jointly devolved FCEV powertrain to market by 2020.

GM may be backing off from its original statements because of protest from their own hydrogen backers. They are feeling the pressure from Toyota as well, which is pushing FCEV technology.

There's probably a lot of infighting between company divisions and dealership groups about whether to ditch ICE, and if so, what should replace it.

Yeah, which again, I don't get......If you've seen the documentary 'Who Killed the Electric Car', you see Toyota talking about and showing a prototype of a Hydro fueled cell car. That was in the mid '90s. I would think if FCEV were going to work, they would already be out there....So until they start mass producing these cars, they've got nothing. That partnership is a joke.

http://youtu.be/CA759rGzxas?t=6m10s

Last edited:
Nailed it. They aren't going to give Tesla "that much credit" and quite frankly, the fact that Tesla actually WANTS them to compete is completely messing them up. They really don't know what to say. The bottom line IMO is that they are indeed looking very hard at what Tesla is doing and they will try to copy it in their own way, and it will be a poorly executed imitation that is not nearly as good. Sound familiar? :)

Last edited: