TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gm backing off competing for 200 mile range car

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Chickenlittle, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Gm in cnbc story today gm now stating not clear when extended range car will be made or if it will ever go into production. Musk is correct they will only change when dragged to it

2. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is "backing off". They never put a firm date nor said they had a solid plan to bring this car into the market for certain. They just said they were working on the tech and had that as a goal.

4. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Ah, that's true. It's more of the little kid saying "pick me! pick me!" waving his hand in the air because he's not being noticed. Sorry GM, man-up or shut up. Interesting that they had
    but now they say on CNBC that there's a chance it might not even make production? hahahaha. wow. :rolleyes:

I don't get it. They say Tesla's battery design is nothing special, but they can't even get going on a competing model?

5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

6. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

WTF!?! That just makes me mad. And the arrogance of this guy.

7. MikeL

MikeL some guy

So within less than 1 week the stories have gone from "watch out Tesla, GM is coming to eat your lunch" (which, when you think about it, is completely bizarre. Elon has already turned the world upside down) to "never mind, nobody wants EVs". Maybe they think nobody wants THEIR EVs. OTOH maybe their scout/spy on Tesla team came back to corporate with a "we're screwed" :tongue: ML

8. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

Actually if the competitors are smart they will downplay their development efforts while not bashing the EV anymore (no leg to stand on with Teslas success, plus it will make it harder for them to ask people to forget about those arguments when they do finally ship a competitive EV).

They would then continue active development in order to keep other competitors complacent. Obvious corporate strategy.

9. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Or....they got nothin'.

10. MikeL

MikeL some guy

No doubt a good argument, Steve, but I would say it's more likely that GM is the complacent one. Yes, they're working on advanced EV transpo solutions, but No, their heart isn't in it. This while it's do or die for Tesla, they are disrupting.
    I'll believe GM can steer itself successfully into the changing future when I see it. Won't hold my breath, (mean time, I'll be watching how they're doing from inside a Tesla) ML

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My read is that GM's intended message was "we're investing more than zero effort in ..." (partly to placate government folks, perhaps) which the media ran with as "GM said something and it had EV in it so they must be competing with Tesla, ZOMG there's our headline" and then GM replied with "WTF, calm down. That's not what we said."

12. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I think this is great! First GM, a large and respected brand, validate that Tesla is on the right track. Then, having accidentally convinced some people who either never heard of Tesla or thought they were a joke, to actually think about a usable electric vehicle, they back off! Again leaving the market for Tesla. Yay!

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

GM,

"Welcome to our new battery plant!"

"Tesla? Um Yeah, we can do that."

"Not saying we will though."

"Did you see this shiny thing over here?"

14. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

GM must have heard loud and clear from their customers they don't want an all electric with 200 miles.

Remember, their customers are dealers, not drivers.

15. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Ooh, shinies!

16. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

One thing I think people should remember is that there is a faction of GM that is heavily invested in hydrogen fuel cell EVs. In July, GM announced a major partnership with Honda to bring a jointly devolved FCEV powertrain to market by 2020.

GM may be backing off from its original statements because of protest from their own hydrogen backers. They are feeling the pressure from Toyota as well, which is pushing FCEV technology.

There's probably a lot of infighting between company divisions and dealership groups about whether to ditch ICE, and if so, what should replace it.

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Or ... (3 dots is enough) they got somethin' called the Volt and somebody reminded him that while encouraging people not to buy a competitor's car is OK, encouraging them not to buy your own that's already out there on the market is bad.

18. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Like I said before ...

... the difference is that Musk (Tesla) saw an area for advancement and took it. Risked everything. Solved problems. Troubleshot issues. Sleepless nights.

GM is a defensive posture. It is a response ... a P*ssing match, if you will. I (for one) believe that they may have had the urge, the desire, and the pockets (er, govt pockets) to do this, but they lacked the drive and the passion. They (GM) need to stick to what they do - make gasoline burning engines and sell them to who wants them. In fact, resist the urge to make a battery powered car, velcro, or ice cream. It is not their bag.

2¢ donated ...

19. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

#19 ggies07, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Yeah, which again, I don't get......If you've seen the documentary 'Who Killed the Electric Car', you see Toyota talking about and showing a prototype of a Hydro fueled cell car. That was in the mid '90s. I would think if FCEV were going to work, they would already be out there....So until they start mass producing these cars, they've got nothing. That partnership is a joke.

http://youtu.be/CA759rGzxas?t=6m10s

20. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

#20 bareyb, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Nailed it. They aren't going to give Tesla "that much credit" and quite frankly, the fact that Tesla actually WANTS them to compete is completely messing them up. They really don't know what to say. The bottom line IMO is that they are indeed looking very hard at what Tesla is doing and they will try to copy it in their own way, and it will be a poorly executed imitation that is not nearly as good. Sound familiar? :)