TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

GM Bolt - prediction: this car could have a high accident rate

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by thegruf, Sep 18, 2016.

1. thegruf

thegruf Member

Whilst it's target median owner demographic might not be classed as "dynamic" drivers

Simple - too much weight and too little grip.

From the early reports it seems this car breaks traction far too easily, I speculate that GM in the pursuit of range have possibly dangerously undertyred this reportedly 3500lb vehicle (hopefully not undersized its brakes too in the pursuit of price). This is something of an issue with acceleration but critical in braking and curves taken (inadvertantly) at excessive speed.

I hope I am wrong, but time will tell.

2. AndY1

AndY1 Member

Not only that, it also has no steering wheel.

• Funny x 2
  3. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

The Bolt EV has Michelin's latest iteration of the 17 inch Energy Saver A/S and is the same tire model, size, and sidewall ratio that GM uses on the 2016+ Volt which is essentially the same 3550-3600 weight.

The heavier 3780 pound 1st generation Volt also used 17 inch tires.

I read all of the articles written by journalists who attended the recent Monterey to Santa Barbera 240-mile media drive and I don't recall any of them suggesting that the Bolt's handling or braking on these tires represented any kind of unusual safety hazard.

• Informative x 1
  4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken the Bolt is running low rolling resistance tires with similar width to what you get in most EVs and it's not that much heavier at 3600 lbs.

It was quoted as Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50R17 all-season. It's not like they are running the same narrow 155mm wide "bike tires" as in the i3.
    Drive Unit and Battery at the Heart of Chevrolet Bolt EV

I don't really see the issue. It might not hold up well in "spirited driving," (the tires weren't designed for that in the first place) but in typical driving, should be just fine.

5. thelastdeadmouse

Like most cars, its also front wheel drive. That means that unlike rear wheel drive cars, generally when you lose grip on acceleration not much happens.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. ApauloThirteen

Low center of gravity covers a multitude of design compromises.

As you said, the demographic - Volt/Bolt owners not likely to street race or drive recklessly.

If they do have over the air updates, they can always tweak the traction control or ABS to be more conservative.

• Informative x 1
  7. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

A BMW 3 series comes standard with 17" tires (or did in 2008), at a weight of over 3600 lbs, especially for the convertible. And that is not a mass market car by any means...

• Informative x 1