Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Drucifer. Could not find that out by googling it. Would you know if it Is possible to get an adaptor for the volt charger that comes with the car that would go into the 14-50?

The Gen 1 Volts can draw up to 13.5 amps (3.3kw) at 240 volts, and the Gen 2 raised it a bit to 15 amps (3.6 kw).

The "charge cord" (EVSE) that comes with the Volt is limited to 12 amps and has a 120v (5-15) plug on it. But interestingly, the Gen 2 Volts charge cord can operate at 240 volts with no modification by using a simple adapter cable. (See: Gen2 Volt EVSE conversion to L2/L1 combo, DONE!!) By building such an adapter cable, you can put a NEMA 14-50 plug on the end. Actually a NEMA 14-30, with the neutral pin elided, would work as well and be a little less bulky.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Bruce Wayne's ride of choice :cool:

3C1GNHW.jpg

FMle9jB.jpg

to8ZE74.jpg

yvPS9kz.jpg

nplzNOp.jpg

gQhIMqK.jpgp

mzJ7Wqu.jpg

HjEY7KO.jpg

I am thinking about either one of the 30 amp units from either Siemens or Eaton but am leaning towards the 40 amp unit from Sun Country Highway. I know from using SunCountry Highway chargers in several sites in Canada that they seem to be pretty robust, and for another 10 amps output available it is not too much more expensive.

My daughters volt is now 6 months old and I am still impressed with the car. She still has a third of a tank of gas leftover from dealor delivery and has gone over 5000 miles. She would have more but went about 120! Miles on gas alone to get rid of the new burning small of the extender engine. Her typical range for a full charge is 62 miles. I preordered two model 3 for rest of family but will hold onto the volt as well. Would not consider a bolt.

Yes, but I interpreted it as "GM was very nice and gave us a Volt to review. It works well and is good but isn't quite electric. At least it sucks (a lot) less than the Prius since it goes farther on a charge."

The reviewer did mention hauling around two entire powertrains. That's my biggest beef with hybrids. Sure they're great and help advance EV tech since it's all in there, but then you still have all the maintenance issues associated with an ICE. I'd rather just go all the way and be entirely electric and not worry about gas anymore. Stop dragging the fossils with you wherever you go! Yes, it really is okay to leave them behind! :D

[QUOTE="tdjvfr, post: 1563921, member: 44359"... filled up July 2015. I will make it at least a year before having to add gas.
Doesn't the gas go bad in that amount of time?[/QUOTE]
Gas tank is pressurized. If the engine hasn't run in 6 weeks, you will prompted that engine maintenance mode is needed and the Generator will start and run for a few minutes to keep things lubricated. After two years with the same gas, fuel management kicks in and will force you to burn the old gas. It's an engineering marvel. :)

Reactions: dhrivnak
but then you still have all the maintenance issues associated with an ICE.
The thing is, it just isn't true. Intuitively it seems like there must be a bunch of extra ICE maintenance -- but there isn't.

Volt drivers just aren't using the ICE nearly as often as a full-time gasser. And synthetic engine oil and platinum tipped spark plugs are much more durable than their counterparts from 30 years ago.

The result is that the Volt maintenance schedule actually calls for less service and at a cheaper cost than the Nissan LEAF or the Model S/X.

The Volt needs an oil change every 2 years but it doesn't call for brake fluid changes every 2 years like the LEAF and Tesla models. The Prius doesn't call for regular brake fluid changes either. Oil is cheaper than brake fluid and changing it is also easier. An oil & filter change is $30-40 whereas a brake fluid change is usually around $100.

The Volt schedule calls for changing the radiator coolant at around 120,000 miles whereas the Tesla models suggest changing it every 60,000 miles.

The Volt calls for changing the spark plugs after 100,000 miles (of engine use) which basically means never for many owners.

My 2011 Volt is 5.5 years old with 129,000 miles of which around 48,000 are on gas but I drive a long commute. The car has had 2 oil changes and I'm still using the original engine air filter because it's been clean. The car's computer that keeps track of usage-based engine oil life tells me that I still have 40% oil life remaining so I'll have it changed based on the 2 year calendar schedule for the car's 6th birthday.

Doesn't the gas go bad in that amount of time?
Gas tank is pressurized. If the engine hasn't run in 6 weeks, you will prompted that engine maintenance mode is needed and the Generator will start and run for a few minutes to keep things lubricated. After two years with the same gas, fuel management kicks in and will force you to burn the old gas. It's an engineering marvel. :)
That's very interesting. Thanks guys for the info, and sorry for really messing up that quote. I try not to. :oops:

icon14.gif
Brian Chow - great one week review

Brian Chow is the videographer for Driving Television, a Canadian automobile review show.

His review of the Volt was highly positive, and had real world scenarios and feedback.

What's it like living with the 2016 Chevrolet Volt ? - Extended Test Drive

I spend a week with the all-new 2016 Chevy Volt and put it through everyday life tests. With a great new look, extended range and lower price, this car should be on your list if you've ever considered an EV or Hybrid.

This could be the perfect solution for the immediate future.Drive it like an EV but not have to worry if you have an unexpected trip or you forgot to plug it in. Maybe this will give the Tesla Model III a good run.

Reactions: Bonlaw and Jeff N
I am thinking about either one of the 30 amp units from either Siemens or Eaton but am leaning towards the 40 amp unit from Sun Country Highway. I know from using SunCountry Highway chargers in several sites in Canada that they seem to be pretty robust, and for another 10 amps output available it is not too much more expensive.
Sun Country Highway chargers are rebranded Clipper Creek units. Depending on the exchange rates, you may be able to save money by going direct to Clipper Creek and avoiding the middleman. ClipperCreek: America's Most Popular Charging Station

The Volt needs an oil change every 2 years but it doesn't call for brake fluid changes every 2 years like the LEAF and Tesla models. The Prius doesn't call for regular brake fluid changes either. Oil is cheaper than brake fluid and changing it is also easier.
All cars really should have a brake fluid flush every 2 years, regardless of the factory service schedule. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air. The increased moisture content lowers the boiling point (increasing risk of brake fade from fluid boiling in a hot caliper) and increases the risk of internal corrosion in the brake system (worst case, lines could rupture/seals fail). It is strictly time-based (every 2 years) - mileage is irrelevant. There's nothing magic about the Volt or Prius that eliminates the risk - you should still do it.