Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

One major nit here:

Virtually all electric cars have SoC indicators of some sort--even the cheapest one available, the 2013 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive, has a nice little dial that that reads down to 1 percentage point. It's bizarre that the super-expensive, cutting-edge Model S lags so far behind in this respect.

Uh, yeah right. Did you look at the NUMBERS? You get "Rated Range" on the display. Precision to the nearest mile / kilometer. Lots of resolution.

The other thing I thought was silly:

And because of its more aggressive low-end throttle mapping in Sport mode, the Volt actually feels more responsive pulling away from a traffic light than the Tesla.

(We're assuming light-to-moderate pedal pressure, typical of everyday driving. When you floor it, of course, the Tesla blows the doors off the Volt.)

Right... you're complaining about the throttle mapping. You want a more sensitive pedal? You can push a bit harder, you know.

Also he mentions needing to drive 55mph w AC off to get EPA rated 208 miles. Maybe he doesn't realize that style of driving should net him closer to the ideal 240miles for 60kWh, while the five cycle EPA testing includes varied speeds and city/ highway mix.

To me it seems like he just doesn't trust his S. Honestly how can he even suggest the Volt is quicker off the line, only to back up and say parenthetically (unless you floor it in the S). Doesn't make any sense.

He should have just stuck to the legitimate differences to maintain his credibility: 1. Model S has a slow recharging time unless the higher amperage charging infrastructure is there. 2. Chevy volt burns gas after 30-50 miles of electric driving.

Bob Lutz interviewed this morning on CNBC (after Jim Cramer test drives (and loves) the Model S) talks a bit about the Volt, but, really gives his critique and opinion of Elon and Tesla:
Cramers Tesla Test Drive - CNBC

no Bob, hybrids don't get rid of range anxiety, strategic charging stations do. Which is what Tesla will be doing in the next two years, so don't sit there and say hybrids are the best solution. And all the other makers have access to the same battery technology? hahahaha. He says they just have a "bigger battery" The man is delusional.

"and if the customers do the math...." What a waste of air coming from him.

Last edited:
The Volt is, by all accounts, a great car that owners love, but once the superchargers are built out and Tesla's mass market car hits the Volt and similar ER hybrids will rapidly become obsolete. Time is not on the side of the ER as battery and charging technology keeps marching on. I've always thought of them as a bridge step to full EV adoption.

no Bob, hybrids don't get rid of range anxiety, strategic charging stations do. ... The man is delusional.

Lutz said earlier in the interview that battery electric cars had to solve three problems: Range, Recharging, and Price. And he said Tesla had solved two of those three with the Model S and Supercharging. Be fair.

I am skeptical myself that GENIII will hit the $30,000 price point. It may hit that point the way that Model S hit the $50,000 price point. The median GENIII may well be priced around $50,000 itself.

Lutz said earlier in the interview that battery electric cars had to solve three problems: Range, Recharging, and Price. And he said Tesla had solved two of those three with the Model S and Supercharging. Be fair.

I am skeptical myself that GENIII will hit the $30,000 price point. It may hit that point the way that Model S hit the $50,000 price point. The median GENIII may well be priced around $50,000 itself.

Meh. He was giving backhanded compliments the whole time. Saying they have done great things, but any other auto maker could do it if they wanted to, but its not the right time. Give me a break.

I loved the Volt at one time, but now that something like the model s can be done, its time to get off of hybrids

I am expecting the base model to squeak under $40k, but there will be all kinds of attractive options that push the typical selling price to $60k, and even more for fully loaded.

If the base price is indeed under $40k, then with Supercharging it's going to be pretty compelling. PHEVs like the Volt will have some stiff competition.

Nobody wants the Volt. GM can't even give it away. They still have 160 inventory days of Volts, LOL. 2014's are almost here and they can't even give away the old ones. They're now offering $5k incentives for 2012 models and $4k incentives for 2013 models. IMO they should just auction off the rest and stop making it altogether LOL. I mean really, who wants a 2012 volt whose battery has been sitting on a lot for 2 years and who knows in what condition?!!

http://247wallst.com/2013/06/11/car-buying-public-still-shuns-chevy-volt-gm-cant-give-it-away

Nobody wants the Volt. GM can't even give it away. They still have 160 inventory days of Volts, LOL. 2014's are almost here and they can't even give away the old ones. They're now offering $5k incentives for 2012 models and $4k incentives for 2013 models. IMO they should just auction off the rest and stop making it altogether LOL. I mean really, who wants a 2012 volt whose battery has been sitting on a lot for 2 years and who knows in what condition?!!

http://247wallst.com/2013/06/11/car-buying-public-still-shuns-chevy-volt-gm-cant-give-it-away

Harsh. I want the Volt. I have one and it is a great car. Its the dealerships that don't want the Volt which is precisely why Tesla should not sell through existing ICE dealerships. I took my Volt in for service at my fancy newly renovated GM dealership. It has a nice big showroom and customer waiting area and guess what? Not one Volt on the lot anywhere to be seen. You know what was front and centre? The Cruze and Silverado - the money makers. The dealerships here aren't even trying to sell the Volt. And this is an affluent town with lots of Model S's and people who would love a Volt even as a second car. I have heard the argument from a dealership in a rural location that the Volt is too expensive and I can see that there. But here in my town I don't buy it. The dealerships still just aren't trying. When I bought my Volt (in a different town) a year ago, the salesman had no clue about the car and they were very hard to get here in Canada. I thought this would change and they would step up their effort. It hasn't happened. I am afraid GM is still not fully behind the Volt. They couldn't even get the future new ELR to the car show here. All this suggests that only Tesla has a fighting chance of a mass market EV.

Nobody wants the Volt. GM can't even give it away.

No offense, but this is the same sort of stuff we're ridiculing over in the Anti-Tesla Gibberish thread.

I bought a Volt because I can't yet afford a Model S. I love it. Is it a compromise? Sure. Is it GM's red-headed stepchild? Without a doubt. I'm amazed that they have Consumer Reports' highest rated car in owner satisfaction and they can't figure out how to sell it--except that selling it would cannibalize their core. But it's a fantastic car. It's 90% of the EV experience with zero range anxiety. You don't even have to care that it's an EV, but it trains you to.

In 8 years I'll give it to my son to drive, and buy a Tesla and not look back, but until then, my wife and I fight every day over who gets to drive the Volt.

After watching Who Killed the Electric Car? I'd say the LEAF is the next best thing. It's an EV, where as the Volt is still living in the past.

The big issue with the Leaf is its lack of a decent TMS. If you live in an area with a mild climate, the Leaf starts to look like a better choice, but in my area (hilly terrain with temperatures as cold as 0 in the winter, and over 100 in the summer) the leaf could not be counted on to make my 60 mile round trip commute 365 days a year. If the leaf had a 30 kWh battery, and a real TMS, I would absolutely agree with your statement, but right now, in states occasional really cold or really hot days that do not have the Rav4EV or ActiveE available to them, the Volt is the next best thing to a Tesla. I do agree that the ICE on the volt is living in the past, and it pains me to use it, but right now there is simply not another option in my area.

The big issue with the Leaf is its lack of a decent TMS. If you live in an area with a mild climate, the Leaf starts to look like a better choice, but in my area (hilly terrain with temperatures as cold as 0 in the winter, and over 100 in the summer) the leaf could not be counted on to make my 60 mile round trip commute 365 days a year. If the leaf had a 30 kWh battery, and a real TMS, I would absolutely agree with your statement, but right now, in states occasional really cold or really hot days that do not have the Rav4EV or ActiveE available to them, the Volt is the next best thing to a Tesla. I do agree that the ICE on the volt is living in the past, and it pains me to use it, but right now there is simply not another option in my area.

That makes sense. You'd rather have a little bit of the EV experience than none. Heck, I'm still on an ICE because I can't afford to get a new car yet and it makes me mad every day. Hahaha

After watching Who Killed the Electric Car? I'd say the LEAF is the next best thing. It's an EV, where as the Volt is still living in the past.

Why? Just because its all electric albeit with less practicality? The Volt behaves exactly like an electric car until you run out of charge so there is no range anxiety. Its way more practical for way more people. Thats worth a lot. I could never own a Leaf. Not to mention the cool factor of the Volt over the Leaf. But thats a matter of personal taste.

Why? Just because its all electric albeit with less practicality? The Volt behaves exactly like an electric car until you run out of charge so there is no range anxiety. Its way more practical for way more people. Thats worth a lot. I could never own a Leaf. Not to mention the cool factor of the Volt over the Leaf. But thats a matter of personal taste.

I thought so too, but then watching that video made me think it's really just a one off and doesn't help move things foward when you have a conpany like Tesla making great EVs. GM made an EV a decade and half ago and still decided to make a hybrid. Ridiculous.

Not only that, but the Volt operates like a very good Hybrid even after the battery is depleted (stop/start at lights, initial acceleration on battery before the engine re-starts etc.)