Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM continues to try to stifle competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, for customer blacklists, manufacturers definitely can maintain them even with dealers. It is currently used to block people that buy cars for grey market purposes, but definitely Tesla can use a similar list for their own purposes.

Yeah, like maybe a list of anyone who said anything negative to Musk in private.
Or posted something negative on a forum that is linked to their "my car dealer" profile.

I agree that emotional reactions and fanboy attitudes have no place in a policy discussion. But you cannot ignore the laws of physics.

1. Free hydrogen does not exist in nature. You have to make it with some type of process.

Same thing goes for electricity.
Well, unless you can hook your car up to a key and a kite during a thunderstorm.
Or, can go aquatic with electric eels.
Or, a whole lot of feet rubbing on carpets.

Useable energy takes energy and there are no free lunches. In places like France, where about 75% of electricity comes from nuclear power, maybe there are better ways to power a car.

Cross posting here from the other thread. If RV manufacturers are covered by this bill wouldn't it essentially kill this Indiana company?

Nexus RV Motorhome manufacturer class B+ Class C Super C

Edit:
From their page above:

Even more closely related to the RV industry, they point out, Tesla Motors has been selling cars without a dealer network. “We see these companies as taking advantage of a cultural shift,” said Middleton. “People want to buy from companies directly. They have a sense of ‘being in the know,’ and they get to add some personal touches to their products.”

Shouldn't this be brought up tomorrow if at all possible?

Last edited:
I would never own and operate dealership franchise under those conditions.
Maybe not, but given Tesla is not the party that wants to get people to operate a dealership franchise (but rather being forced by law), they can put those conditions.

My point was that to address the specific points, it makes more sense to push laws that actually solve the issue (like "right to repair") rather than supporting a dealer model that doesn't achieve that goal.

And how does the franchised business model change any of this? The manufacturer still holds all the information and decides what is released. Furthermore they like any other manufacturer, they set the price on spare parts. I fail to see how Tesla is really all that different. If anything it is better as there is not a middleman.

I also fail to understand people's comments about Tesla being the sole supplier for parts. Yes, and just like any other car or any other manufactured component. If I need a part for my John Deere I go to John Deere, not CaseIH. If I need a part for my BMW I must get it from BMW. Yes "generic" parts can be sourced from other vendors and how is a Tesla any different here?

While I understand and am also a bit frustrated by the lack of information we can obtain, I also understand that they must go this route to protect themselves both in the marketplace and legally. We don't need to see the headline "Man working on Tesla electrocutes himself".

- - - Updated - - -

Furthermore the person who wrote the bill Kevin Mahan is a State Farm Insurance rep. https://www.statefarm.com/agent/US/IN/Hartford-City/Kevin-Mahan-3XDP04RDXAK

I for one am seriously considering my decision to be insured with State Farm.

It would be interesting to note Who Sponsered this bill and please let anyone and everyone Know. I for one, Will Remember and Vote/ Buy accordingly. I dearly hate for someone to make up my mind for me, I can still think and decide!

Well, unless you can hook your car up to a key and a kite during a thunderstorm.
Or, can go aquatic with electric eels.
Or, a whole lot of feet rubbing on carpets.

Useable energy takes energy and there are no free lunches. In places like France, where about 75% of electricity comes from nuclear power, maybe there are better ways to power a car.

Last time I checked the sun shines everyday, and that is about as free as energy can get. Nobody is going to be doing electrolysis in their garage. EVs win because they are inherently more efficient than HFCVs. The evidence can already be seen in the Mirai's "launch".

BEV advocates don't pretend that it does.

FCEV advocates imply that there is no convoluted process to get H2 every time they say " H2 is the most abundant element in the Universe."

And using nuclear sourced electricity directly in a BEV is far better than hydrogen that was generated using nuclear energy.

However you slice it or dice it using whatever power source to make hydrogen is far better used to power BEVs.

GM & More Dirty Tricks Again

GM is up now. Talking about Fisker being bought by Chinese. And comparing that to Chinese dumping steel on the world market. More talk about "level playing field."

It is nauseating to listening to dealership owners talk about how dealerships ensure a free market for vehicle ownership. This was a setup. A dog and pony show. Just look at how those opposed to the bill spoke last week, before those in favor of the bill. Makes it much easier for GM and supporters to win.