Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Cruise's CEO leaving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More churn in the AV/ADAS industry. This time it's GM's Cruise.

- Dan Ammann, CEO of General Motors autonomous vehicle branch Cruise, is leaving the company, GM announced Thursday.
- Cruise’s President and CTO Kyle Vogt will take over as interim CEO, the company said.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow

- Dan Ammann, CEO of General Motors autonomous vehicle branch Cruise, is leaving the company, GM announced Thursday.
- Cruise’s President and CTO Kyle Vogt will take over as interim CEO, the company said.

IMO, Kyle will be a better CEO.

Reactions: Daniel in SD

Hmm ... why would the CEO leave just ahead of enabling GM cars to drive "all paved roads" on UltraCruise ?

May be everything is not as rosy as they want us to believe ...

I thought Cruise was completely separate from the SuperCruise and UltraCruise development?
It is. EVNow is confusing the two things.
I know Cruise has been trying robotaxi. But - isn't UltraCruise based on Cruise technology ? Is it developed by someone else ?

ps : My assumption was Cruise also developed these ADAS stuff for GM after the merger.

No, UltraCruise is not based on Cruise tech as far as I know. Yes, it is being developed by someone else. UltraCruise is being developed by GM.
Zero chance GM developed UltraCruise without Cruise tech. And it would be stupid too - GM bought Cruise to get this tech, not to develop separate self-driving technology.

I don’t think so. I was assuming it was mobileye tech like SuperCruise.
Possible - but that would be weird too, given GM owns Cruise. Anyway, if so, we'd have heard about it if it was true.

GM bought Cruise to get into ADAS quickly. And it makes perfect sense for Cruise to use their basic technology to develop ADAS for GM. May be the team was located within Cruise or GM - doesn't really matter.

ps : Anyway, thats my assumption. Will dig into this. BTW, my confidence that UltraCuise would do atleast somewhat ok was based on this assumption !

Zero chance GM developed UltraCruise without Cruise tech. And it would be stupid too - GM bought Cruise to get this tech, not to develop separate self-driving technology.

GM is not developing separate self-driving tech. GM is developing their own driver assist. UltraCruise is L2 ADAS. GM has said they will use Cruise tech when they decide to put L4 on consumer cars.

Possible - but that would be weird too, given GM owns Cruise. Anyway, if so, we'd have heard about it if it was true.

GM bought Cruise to get into ADAS quickly. And it makes perfect sense for Cruise to use their basic technology to develop ADAS for GM. May be the team was located within Cruise or GM - doesn't really matter.

ps : Anyway, thats my assumption. Will dig into this. BTW, my confidence that UltraCuise would do atleast somewhat ok was based on this assumption !
Much more likely they’re using Mobileye who they already use in all their production ADAS. Mobileye definitely has the tech to do UltraCruise.

Reactions: diplomat33
Much more likely they’re using Mobileye who they already use in all their production ADAS. Mobileye definitely has the tech to do UltraCruise.
Then there should be some news on that.

This seems to say Toyota uses Mobileye but GM uses some platform developed by ORNL ?

General Motors has licensed a powerful AI software system from the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) that uses convolutional neural network technology.

ps : This thread says it was built in house. How do you get to build two separate solutions within the same company (even though one is acquired ?). I thought only Microsoft did stuff like that 😉

Last edited:
Then there should be some news on that.

This seems to say Toyota uses Mobileye but GM uses some platform developed by ORNL ?

ps : This thread says it was built in house. How do you get to build two separate solutions within the same company (even though one is acquired ?). I thought only Microsoft did stuff like that 😉

You're right, they claim it UltraCruise is being developed in-house.
“Ultra Cruise is not just a game changer in terms of what it enables − a door-to-door hands-free driving experience − but a technological one as well," said Doug Parks, GM executive vice president of Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “It's been developed completely in-house.”

I'm surprised that people think such a system is a good idea. I'm still skeptical that it will ever be released (and that applies to FSD Beta as well).