TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

GM first to build Electric Motors domestically?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by youlikeadajuice, Apr 16, 2013.

1. youlikeadajuice

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

GM probably refuses to acknowledge Tesla's existence as an automaker...

3. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

“Today is further proof GM is leading in the development of electric vehicles that will improve America’s energy security.” ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

And it looks like most of the US won't get a crack at them for some time.
    :confused:

5. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

You got to be kidding. The Nissan Leaf builds its motors in Tennessee and Tesla is California. So I guess these states are not part of the USA.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I find it weird that somebody on a Tesla forum would write that. If it's for sale anyone can buy it from a California dealer.

7. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Such SPIN!

Yeah. "Mostly" imports, if you count the millions of made in China electric motors in blenders, electric razors, toys, garage doors, etc. the Leaf and Tesla motors are a tiny fraction.

OK. So they are the first automaker to make electric motors for their own Spark EV in their own Baltimore plant.

Jeez!

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

But then you have to pick it up in California, pay California taxes, ship it back home, pay Georgia taxes and hope nothing goes wrong with the firs EV GM makes in almost 20 years.

I have a Tesla Service Center within 10 miles of my house.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

First domestic to build motors and drive units in the USA. Tesla must not be building them here. Or maybe GM's dangling a carrot to Tesla to generate a mutually-promotional war of words. Interesting they're building the motors here since the Spark will be assembled in Korea.

- - - Updated - - -

You ship it so you don't pay CA's sales tax. Shouldn't cost any more than $1k. Plenty of Volt and PiP owners have had their cars shipped. If I were buying a new car right now it'd be a Volt and I certainly wouldn't be buying it from a Maine dealer since they couldn't get anywhere near the volume pricing the top sellers offer.

They have to honor the warranty wherever you live. Otherwise you'd be screwed if you move. If anything serious goes wrong with the car GM would dispatch a tech to deal with it. But, given the nature of cars, it doesn't really matter since it's following instructions to replace parts.

10. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#10 scottf200, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    InsideEVs is like an executive summary site recently just condensing other news.
    Here's the original media gm announcement. I think props to GM for is in order for their commitment to the Spark EV a lot more than most are giving them credit for. Certainly they have to be cautious and limit the states given the LEAF sales of the like comparison product in the past two years. They have stockholders after all.

I'm a GM fan because my first GM product was a 2011 Volt but I don't know why Tesla wasn't mentioned. I think Nissan deserves some props for building their plant here too and actually making parts here (ie motor) vs it being only an assembly plant.
    http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Apr/0416-spark-electric.html

11. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I thought the below was a cool aspect of all this.

Link: GM making electric motors for Chevy Spark EV in Baltimore

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

In a recent interview Elon said they brought motor designs to a manufacture ans was told it could not be built. So Tesla went back and figured out out it could be built. They were then told there was not machine that could do the work. So Tesla designed the machine and at that point decided to just build the motors themselves.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#14 vfx, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"Yah, but we all know that's just marketing speak. He said 4.4 0-60 when we all know that it's really 4.2 or less." ;)