Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM IS DOING WHAT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

That's very helpful as a start.

First of all their definition of "fast" is: "They're going to be GM's own Level 2 chargers, an Ultium design that uses J1772 ports..."

This kind of fast speed means drivers may need to spend overnight sleeping in GM dealership lobby to get a decent charge.

But if they are free, I am not going to complain and I would like to praise GM for the effort!

From the article:
"We want to put a focus on workplaces," Hassani told me. "Workplaces covers the gamut of companies we all buy products from to schools, hospitals and health care facilities and so forth. So workplaces is a very important category that we want to prioritize and then other areas that we're also prioritizing are recreational destinations, parks, sports and entertainment venues and so forth, places with high dwell times."
This sounds like a pretty good plan. If I were running this program, I'd add apartments to the list of priority locations, on a par with workplaces. IMHO, we need good Level 2 charging infrastructure in place at workplaces and apartments, to make EVs practical for people who don't own their homes. GM's priorities are better than putting them in at supermarkets or restaurants, though, where a lot of Level 2 EVSEs are still being installed. (DC fast chargers at those locations, OTOH, would work well.)

IF they charge at 350. My Taycan charges insanely fast + can regen up to 265kw.
Well, there was an article about the Ultium in Car and Driver a while back that stated that the Hummer pack will be able to switch from Series to Parallel to allow 800V/350kW charging but driving will be 400V. They are also using wireless monitoring which is supposed to dramatically lower the amount of wiring in the pack.

Huh??
Wireless is asking for trouble.
Here is the article:

And the relevant paragraph:
"Typically, automakers need a throng of wires to monitor the hundreds of individual cells in a pack. But GM found a way to monitor the Ultium's wirelessly. Each group of two or three cells wired in parallel broadcasts key information such as temperature and voltage several times per second. This reduces the pack's wiring by 80 percent compared with the Bolt's—eliminating a source of warranty claims, improving packaging, and simplifying the wiring harness. Plus, GM claims this setup consumes no more power than a wired system."

Here is the article:

"Typically, automakers need a throng of wires to monitor the hundreds of individual cells in a pack. But GM found a way to monitor the Ultium's wirelessly. Each group of two or three cells wired in parallel broadcasts key information such as temperature and voltage several times per second. This reduces the pack's wiring by 80 percent compared with the Bolt's—eliminating a source of warranty claims, improving packaging, and simplifying the wiring harness. Plus, GM claims this setup consumes no more power than a wired system."
Interesting. Perhaps a custom protocol with a simple data structure for brevity, and if enclosed in pack will be isolated from external noise.
(BT would be overkill)

The flip side a bus could achieve the same thing with a single wire and avoid the need for TX/RX device. I am not there so cannot judge the decision, but I am sure Sandy will eventually see it and post another of this famous comments on YT. :)

Here is the article:

...and yet, Tesla does it with a simple two wire opto-isolated serial bus daisy chained between modules and the central BMS. There is no good reason to run 96S to 220S wires through the whole pack to the BMS.

...and yet, Tesla does it with a simple two wire opto-isolated serial bus daisy chained between modules and the central BMS. There is no good reason to run 96S to 220S wires through the whole pack to the BMS.
Agree.
Also possible to be single wire data line.
Speaking of opto, anyone though of doing fiber optic conduits?
It seem like GM is suffering lack of imagination and jumping on either first idea they had or biased to over using (abusing) wireless.

Level 2 chargers at dealerships should have happened ten years ago. Nice job, GM. 🙄
GM dealerships did have Level 2 EVSEs many years ago. Here's the PlugShare entry for a GMC/Buick dealership near me, showing the first checkin occurred in 2013. There's a Chevy dealership across the street that also had a Level 2 EVSE installed at about the same time; however, PlugShare has truncated its checkin history, probably because that dealership upgraded and moved its EVSE to a different location on the property. I leased a Chevy Volt from this dealership in 2016, and I or the dealership charged that car there from time to time -- mostly after routine maintenance visits.

If you read the article, and GM's official statements on the matter, this announcement is not about installing EVSEs at GM dealerships; it's about GM sponsoring the installation of EVSEs at workplaces, parks, etc. They're expanding the reach of public Level 2 charging, and there's plenty of need for that expansion right now, so there's no need to be snide about it.

Reactions: tm1v2