Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM partners with Pilot to install chargers at up to 500 travel centers nationwide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General Motors Co. and Pilot Travel Centers LLC are collaborating to add 2,000 electric vehicle charging stalls at up to 500 Pilot and Flying J travel centers, the companies said Thursday.

The DC fast charging coast-to-coast network will be installed, operated and maintained by EVgo, a charging network company. The first chargers will be operational by early next year. Pilot, which has more than 750 locations in 44 states and five Canadian provinces, is the first retailer GM has partnered with to expand charging across the U.S. as it progresses on its all-electric transition.

GM%20and%20Pilot%20Company%20to%20Build%20Out%20Coast-to-Coast%20EV%20Fast%20Charging%20Network%20Infographic.jpg

"At GM, we believe in a world of zero emissions, in an all-electric future and our genuine belief that we can put everybody into an EV," said Travis Hester, vice president of EV growth operations at GM, in a call with media. "To enable the mass adoption of those EVs, it's necessary to build the perfect charging infrastructure."

GM, Pilot and EVgo did not disclose the financial terms of the collaboration.

The chargers will be co-branded “Pilot Flying J” and “Ultium Charge 360” and will be open to all EV brands, but GM customers will receive special benefits including exclusive reservations, discounts on charging and a more streamlined charging process. The stations will include high-power fast chargers offering up to 350 kilowatts.

GM and Pilot are targeting installation of chargers at 50-mile intervals across the U.S.

Pilot already has Tesla Inc. chargers at some of its locations.

"We have had demand from our customers and we do see EV customers who have to travel across the country be challenged in finding adequate charging, especially DC fast charging locations," said Shameek Konar, Pilot Company chief executive officer, on a call with media.

Konar added: "We're not experts at electric charging. We have a lot of critically and strategically located real estate, which can help solve the problem. So getting together with GM and EVgo creates a great solution for the average EV customer."

This collaboration is part of GM's $750 million investment in EV charging infrastructure through 2025. Other investments include:

• Enabling access to more than 100,000 charge points in the U.S. and Canada through its Ultium Charge 360 ecosystem
  • Collaborating with EVgo to build a network of 3,250 charging stalls in major metro areas by 2025
  • Installing up to 40,000 chargers in local dealer communities through GM’s Dealer Community Charging Program

Beyond the infrastructure investments, GM last year announced it signed seven agreements with major charging providers to make the electric vehicle charging experience more seamless.

The agreements are part of GM's Ultium Charge 360 approach that integrates charging networks, GM vehicle mobile apps and other products and services.

Last edited:
This is brilliant and it’s not even taking up any infrastructure bill funds (making for a massive amount of combined available infrastructure). I was wondering what GM was thinking in investing in EV-Go while they said their deployments will only be in cities. This is a much appreciated change in strategy.

Lots of these are in very convenient locations for me. Hopefully these are 540 amp chargers like the other latest EV-Go signet chargers.

It also makes honest competition for EA and others to keep pricing reasonable. EA and Tesla will no longer be the sole options for high power charging in many areas thanks to this build out.

This is brilliant and it’s not even taking up any infrastructure bill funds (making for a massive amount of combined available infrastructure). I was wondering what GM was thinking in investing in EV-Go while they said their deployments will only be in cities. This is a much appreciated change in strategy.

Lots of these are in very convenient locations for me. Hopefully these are 540 amp chargers like the other latest EV-Go signet chargers.

It also makes honest competition for EA and others to keep pricing reasonable. EA and Tesla will no longer be the sole options for high power charging in many areas thanks to this build out.
They are funding much of this program thru the infrastructure bill.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
Looks like these are being installed at corporately owned stores only, hence why a bunch of key routes are missing. Lots of licensed stores have already made deals with other EV networks as well, so that also accounts for some other missing routes.

General Motors Co. and Pilot Travel Centers LLC are collaborating to add 2,000 electric vehicle charging stalls at up to 500 Pilot and Flying J travel centers, the companies said Thursday.

The DC fast charging coast-to-coast network will be installed, operated and maintained by EVgo, a charging network company. The first chargers will be operational by early next year. Pilot, which has more than 750 locations in 44 states and five Canadian provinces, is the first retailer GM has partnered with to expand charging across the U.S. as it progresses on its all-electric transition.

GM%20and%20Pilot%20Company%20to%20Build%20Out%20Coast-to-Coast%20EV%20Fast%20Charging%20Network%20Infographic.jpg

"At GM, we believe in a world of zero emissions, in an all-electric future and our genuine belief that we can put everybody into an EV," said Travis Hester, vice president of EV growth operations at GM, in a call with media. "To enable the mass adoption of those EVs, it's necessary to build the perfect charging infrastructure."

GM, Pilot and EVgo did not disclose the financial terms of the collaboration.

The chargers will be co-branded “Pilot Flying J” and “Ultium Charge 360” and will be open to all EV brands, but GM customers will receive special benefits including exclusive reservations, discounts on charging and a more streamlined charging process. The stations will include high-power fast chargers offering up to 350 kilowatts.

GM and Pilot are targeting installation of chargers at 50-mile intervals across the U.S.

Pilot already has Tesla Inc. chargers at some of its locations.

"We have had demand from our customers and we do see EV customers who have to travel across the country be challenged in finding adequate charging, especially DC fast charging locations," said Shameek Konar, Pilot Company chief executive officer, on a call with media.

Konar added: "We're not experts at electric charging. We have a lot of critically and strategically located real estate, which can help solve the problem. So getting together with GM and EVgo creates a great solution for the average EV customer."

This collaboration is part of GM's $750 million investment in EV charging infrastructure through 2025. Other investments include:

• Enabling access to more than 100,000 charge points in the U.S. and Canada through its Ultium Charge 360 ecosystem
  • Collaborating with EVgo to build a network of 3,250 charging stalls in major metro areas by 2025
  • Installing up to 40,000 chargers in local dealer communities through GM’s Dealer Community Charging Program

Beyond the infrastructure investments, GM last year announced it signed seven agreements with major charging providers to make the electric vehicle charging experience more seamless.

The agreements are part of GM's Ultium Charge 360 approach that integrates charging networks, GM vehicle mobile apps and other products and services.

Thanks for posting this, I saw the headline on AutoBlog this morning and hoped someone started a conversation here. This will help a lot in Ohio based on what I can see on the map!
Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 20.14.47.png
There are some very convenient Pilot and Flying J stops that could help until more Superchargers are installed. Here's the current map of Ohio on Tesla's site to give people a better idea of some of the barren areas. (The Akron Canton area, specifically Canton, will really benefit with some installations. Lots of people traveling through.)

Having the CCS adapter will open up all these new locations. And given their location(s) I doubt they will fall in disrepair. I guess the bill to spend US tax dollars didn’t stipulate all the hardware be made in the USA.
I don’t believe this is funded by the Infrastructure bill (rather by GM and Pilot). Have you seen somewhere that says it is?

Looks like these are being installed at corporately owned stores only, hence why a bunch of key routes are missing. Lots of licensed stores have already made deals with other EV networks as well, so that also accounts for some other missing routes.
I wonder if the Pilot off the 5 in Puget Sound is corporate owned or not... The one in Olympia already has a v3 Supercharger, so it would be cool if they installed some CCS chargers there too. They just built a huge expansion on the other side of the freeway, and was surprised they didn't add any EV chargers on the expansion side.

FWIW, EVgo installed a new station in North Providence recently. I visited just to check it out. I added photos to the pre-existing PlugShare entry. As shown in the photos, there are three pedestals (of two different designs), each with two cables, but only four parking spots. The one more powerful pedestal looks like the one in the clipping that @Mockingbird shared, but with a different paint job. It's capable of delivering 350 kW. That one was CCS-only (with two CCS cables), but the other two pedestals were less-powerful 100 kW units with one CCS and one CHAdeMO plug each. I charged on one of these less-powerful units using my CHAdeMO adapter and that went fine, but of course that adapter is limited to 50 kW. I also had problems activating the other CHAdeMO unit, but I'm not sure if it was the DC fast charger or just the finicky adapter. There were no other cars charging, so I have no idea how power sharing would work, except of course that there was insufficient parking at that site to support six cars.

Anyhow, the announcement that @Mockingbird quotes specifies "up to 350 kilowatts," so it's conceivable they'll be doing something similar to this new North Providence site, with a mix of 100 kW and 350 kW pedestals. The announcement also specifies "2,000 electric vehicle charging stalls at up to 500 Pilot and Flying J travel centers." That suggests four or more stalls per site, but how is a "stall" defined? If it's a parking space, then these sites could look just like the North Providence site. If a "stall" is a plug, then it might be just two pedestals, each with two plugs, and hopefully four parking spots. This would effectively be similar to EA's smaller sites. If a "stall" is a pedestal, then these sites would be bigger than the North Providence one, and might support as many as eight cars charging simultaneously.

So, I'm left with a lot of questions, but they're about the details. This deployment will certainly help, and I'm glad to see EA getting some competition in the inter-city CCS charging arena.