Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog GM Planning Chevy Pickup With 400 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

An all-electric Chevy pickup with 400 miles of range is on the way, according to GM’s 2019 Sustainability Report.

GM has recently revealed plans for a lineup of 22 electric vehicles, including the Chevy Bolt, Cadillac Lyric crossover SUV, and GMC Hummer electric pickup. The company has said those electric models will be available by 2023. 

So, we already knew that GM was going to electrify a pickup, reinventing the Hummer for the GMC nameplate. But, the report names the upcoming “Chevrolet BET Truck, which will be the brand’s first electric full-size pickup, offering 400+ miles of range on a single charge.”

Between Chevrolet and GMC, GM sells more pickups than anyone. The pickups have also become pricey – definitely in the same neighborhood as a Tesla. So, it will be interesting to see how many of those traditional GM pickup customers start choosing electric. Also, how many will be willing to try something new with the Tesla Cybertruck?

Photo: Chevrolet

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet GM will use LiFePO4 [Lithium Iron Phosphate] batteries. Weight not so critical in a Large Pickup. safer from fire
Will be interesting to see who assemblies the pouches or prismatic box (doubt it would be cylindrical cells like Tesla uses). AND who will assemble the vehicle battery modules - would assume the modules would go to assembly plant for final installation.

Will be interesting to watch AND see if they come anywhere near meeting demand.

More planning and vaporware from GM. I will be excited when you can actually buy one. They better hurry up! Cybertruck and RT1 will eat their lunch

While I'll believe the RT1 when I see one, GM is a different story. When they (finally) decide to do something, they often actually follow through on it. They already have one battery plant that has been in operation for years for Volt and Bolt EV, and are building a new, much larger, plant. Both are joint ventures with LG. So they should have no problem with battery supply as the new plant comes on line.

One thing to keep in mind about GM is that for the past century they have been in what economists call an oligopoly (few competitors due to huge capital needs) against Ford and to a lesser extent Chrysler. It's like Toyota, Honda, and the Europeans barely exist. To say nothing about a sizzlingly fresh newcomer like Tesla. GM and Ford are like "monkey see, monkey do". With Ford announcing a F-150 pickup, GM has to do the same.

Both GM and Ford had EV pickups back in the late 1990s. The GM S-10 EV had the EV1 powertrain in it. Some of them were actually sold, rather than leased, and are still around. I saw one in Santa Clara about 10 years ago. Unfortunately didn't have any time to talk with its owner that day. Some of the Ford versions are still around too.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
They already have one battery plant that has been in operation for years for Volt and Bolt EV, and are building a new, much larger, plant. Both are joint ventures with LG.

These are the posts that keep me coming here. A joy to read.

What GM is still missing though is a true dedicated network of chargers.

The other thing GM is lacking is bidirectional charging which will allow them to also be an energy company. Tesla quietly enabled it. Eventually you will buy a Tesla and opt in to make money while your car is sitting at work/home load balancing the grid as a virtual power company.

Just set a charge state and time and your car opts our at the right time to allow you to do your thing while you may have made some money selling energy.

GM is still lacking with their software, but it will be exciting to see one when it’s available. Until then, pfffft

These are the posts that keep me coming here. A joy to read.

What GM is still missing though is a true dedicated network of chargers.

The other thing GM is lacking is bidirectional charging which will allow them to also be an energy company. Tesla quietly enabled it. Eventually you will buy a Tesla and opt in to make money while your car is sitting at work/home load balancing the grid as a virtual power company.

Just set a charge state and time and your car opts our at the right time to allow you to do your thing while you may have made some money selling energy.

GM is still lacking with their software, but it will be exciting to see one when it’s available. Until then, pfffft

Tesla didn't enable bidirectional charging. It was a report based on an error.