Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM races to build a formula for profitable electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-electric-insight/gm-races-to-build-a-formula-for-profitable-el

GM CEO Mary Barra promises it will turn profits on EVs by 2021. Keys to that goal are manufacturing in China and new battery chemistry that minimizes cobalt use, which has skyrocketed in price recently. Being mainly sourced from the Democratic People's Republic of Congo doesn't help the matter. Apple makes billions making iPhones in China, so why not GM too.

If there's anything I've learned about the "new" GM, it is that once they make a promise, you can count on them keeping that promise. I believe Tesla is rumored to be planning a factory(s) in China as well. Seems Main Street for EVs goes right through China now, and has at least temporarily been detoured from the US. Thanks Cheeto.

China is the biggest market for EVs, it makes sense manufacturers would expand there.
I would like to see EVs become more profitable for other manufacturers and more EVs become available. I like GM's 'roadmap' and hope plans don't end up changing too much.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-electric-insight/gm-races-to-build-a-formula-for-profitable-el

GM CEO Mary Barra promises it will turn profits on EVs by 2021. Keys to that goal are manufacturing in China and new battery chemistry that minimizes cobalt use, which has skyrocketed in price recently. Being mainly sourced from the Democratic People's Republic of Congo doesn't help the matter. Apple makes billions making iPhones in China, so why not GM too.

If there's anything I've learned about the "new" GM, it is that once they make a promise, you can count on them keeping that promise. I believe Tesla is rumored to be planning a factory(s) in China as well. Seems Main Street for EVs goes right through China now, and has at least temporarily been detoured from the US. Thanks Cheeto.

Nothing to do with Trump. Blame everybody else's greed.

China's large market, plus the new EV credit requirements plus the 25% import tariff is going to force foreign manufacturers to build EVs in China.