Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Responds to Tesla Model 3; Slashes Bolt price slashed to $20...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, April Fools on the first article.

Tesla is also planning on expanding their service center network. Something I was figuring was going to happen.

The problem the auto industry has when plotting against Tesla is they are constantly thinking past is prologue. There was a lot of hype about quality problems on the Model S that came out in the Consumer Reports car reliability survey. However the caveat is that data is now six months old and it's based mostly on cars built before 2015. The critics who point back to that survey seem to think Tesla is standing still on the quality improvement front and that cars being built today have the same drive unit problems cars built in 2013 had.

What I can see, which admittedly is anecdotal is that cars built in 2015 and 2016 tend to be more reliable than the earlier cars. I think cars built in the mad scramble at the end of last year had more problems than the rest of 2015, but generally quality seems to be up.

Tesla tends to be fairly good at incorporating lessons learned. Better than most other car makers. The Model X was over engineered and is difficult to build, but it's doubtful the Model 3 will have those problems. This time around they know the car needs to be inexpensive and quick to build, so that's probably a mantra in the design department.

Tesla's lack of service centers is a problem they need to overcome in the next year. Even if they produce flawless cars, if people feel like they have to trek long distances or even to an inconvenient place in the same metro area to get service if there is a problem, they may pass on the car and go with something that has service available close by. Where we live, there is a Ford dealer in town and a big auto mall about 20 miles away. There are a lot more Fords running around this town than in Vancouver, WA just down the road because the Ford dealer is closer.

The article had some good points about GM's advantages, but I think GM is building their strategy on out of date data and they will get burned if they don't update it.

Tesla will certainly will need more service centers. However, I'm not sure how many of you have dealt with GM dealers hybrid or EV service? A Very large percentage of them simply loath those cars. The service experience was bad enough for us to never want to walk into another GM dealership again. This is after five decades of owning a whole bunch of GM product. When the service manager tells you "It would be better if you found somewhere else to have THAT car serviced" you know there is an attitude problem.

It was the horrible dealer experience surrounding the Volt that caused us to look at Tesla. Resulting in our taking delivery of our Model S on the 28th. For a couple of "Car Crazy Kids" the whole experience with Tesla has been a thrill. I'm not kidding myself that we may not have some issues to deal with the Model S. But even being a long way from the nearest service center will still be better than dealing with any GM dealer service nearby. Especially if it is an EV.

If I were in GM marketing the last thing I would want to mention is their dealers and their service.

Tesla's lack of service centers is a problem they need to overcome in the next year.

Yep. Biggest single problem. Syracuse NY PLEASE ASAP... we already have a lot of upstate NY owners and they're beginning to get irritated about travelling long distances for service...

GM cars can be fixed at independent repair shops. At the moment, Teslas can't. This makes the service centers more important.

Tesla will certainly will need more service centers. However, I'm not sure how many of you have dealt with GM dealers hybrid or EV service? A Very large percentage of them simply loath those cars. The service experience was bad enough for us to never want to walk into another GM dealership again. This is after five decades of owning a whole bunch of GM product. When the service manager tells you "It would be better if you found somewhere else to have THAT car serviced" you know there is an attitude problem.

It was the horrible dealer experience surrounding the Volt that caused us to look at Tesla. Resulting in our taking delivery of our Model S on the 28th. For a couple of "Car Crazy Kids" the whole experience with Tesla has been a thrill. I'm not kidding myself that we may not have some issues to deal with the Model S. But even being a long way from the nearest service center will still be better than dealing with any GM dealer service nearby. Especially if it is an EV.

If I were in GM marketing the last thing I would want to mention is their dealers and their service.

With other car makers dealers are independent businesses and the quality and attitude of their service are going to vary because of it. Though stories of people who have taken an interest in EVs at mainstream car dealers indicates the major car makers have some institutional problems with most of their dealers and attitudes.