Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM taking pot shots at aluminum vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so discouraging. These videos are just so stupid at elementary level, I can't believe they spent money to make them rather than a better product or to give the consumer more information than comments by Average Joe's with nothing beyond basic knowledge. I hope the average consumer is not as dumb and susceptible to BS as this all implies.

Not that it has any relevance, and I feel I'm stooping to play their game, but aren't shark cages made out of aluminum?

It is a play on stereotyping rather than anything else. In the old days it was as simple as material strength depending on what you use, but in modern days materials have become so advanced that stereotyping materials is a joke.

For example, if I had you pick between something made of steel or something made of plastic bags. The stereotype would be that you would go for the steel. What I don't mention is that thing made out of plastic bags is carbon nanotubes.

It's the classic "we don't offer the competition's latest advance, because tradition is better" play. They said the same things about electrified vehicles when they didn't have any to sell. "Please keep buying our current offerings."

They'll be all about aluminum trucks after their next redesign if the engineers and accountants can make the internal business case for it.

Hell, my Volt has plenty of aluminum, I can see it under the stone chips in the hood.

I do want a steel truck, because super heroes that are Steel Man or Zinc Woman are way cooler than that Aluminum Schmuck...it goes without saying.

Truth be told, a majority of my major purchases are directly influenced by misconceptions about non-existent, and fictitious if they did exist, super heroes and/or movie franchises.

I was going to buy an iron boat anchor, because of Iron Man, but I decided to go with one made of rubber because Stretch Armstrong is just really cool.

Do I regret it? I guess only time, and currents, will tell.

Lame to the nth power.

This reminds me of Ford's ads claiming the 1970's Pinto was better than competitive small cars because the Pinto had "800 more pounds of road-hugging weight."

GSP

Specifically GM and Chevy trucks are trying to unseat Ford's F-150 dominance of domestic pickup market share.
Ford went to aluminum body construction, saving about 700 lbs.
And that translates into very real mpg savings of about 1 mpg for every 100 pounds.
Lighter weight probably makes the Ford trucks a bit quicker too.

When you are number 2 looking up at number 1, no amount of half-baked information and distortion of the real issue is deemed to be dirty.

- - - Updated - - -

And, guess what.
GM uses their hard-earned dollars on this sort of "creative advertising".
A comic book show for a new super hero is their idea for an ad campaign?

Simple solution would be to DO YOUR HOMEWORK GM and build a better truck.

Last edited: