Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM taking pot shots at aluminum vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But, but, but... the Volt has an aluminum hood...

So does, apparently, the Silverado.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 but is not surprising considering it's GM we're talking about... Same old, same old.

So... why did the Tesla decide to make the Model 3 out of steel and not aluminium?

I read many threads of high cost repairs of Model S' body panel damage.

Last edited:
So... why did the Tesla decide to make the Model 3 out of steel and not aluminium?

I read many threads of high cost repairs of Model S' body panel damage.

1)Musk has said Model 3 will not be 100% aluminum primarily because of cost to buy the aluminum and cost to manufacture the aluminum sheets into finished goods. Model 3 could be 5% aluminum or 95% aluminum. They are also taking sales pitches by carbon fiber/plastics manufactures.

Or this could be a negotiating tactic with Alcoa to get their price down or risk losing the business.

2) Partially supply and demand issue. Not many certified aluminum body repair technicians and even fewer Tesla certified technicians. Most body shops have techs with decades experiencing working on steel panels every day. Even the Tesla certified guys get to repair one Tesla a month?

In the near future, repairing aluminum and Teslas in particular will just be standard industry know how. Right now body shops have to raise prices to justify sending techs to school and buying the tools to repair Teslas ( complete tools,including frame machine,to repair Teslas cost a body shop ~ $100k.)

GM just pulled an Edison here.

They are electrocuting small animals to prove DC Is better than A/C.

Congrats GM, another douche bag move.

Why Nikola Tesla was the greatest geek who ever lived - The Oatmeal

I mean they are comparing metals and want to stick to their old fashioned way.

And isn't this the company that killed thousands of people and poisoned us with leaded gasoline?

GM engineers discover that leaded gas reduces in auto engines - Dec 09, 1921 - HISTORY.com

I hate GM with a PASSION and would LOVE to see them go under.

Do you think people will watch this ad and say "oh I better buy GM"? If I was in the market for a new truck I would go right to a Ford dealership after seeing one of these ads and let them tell me their side of the story. I expect they have a good one to tell.

This F150 Aluminum just replaced a rusted 2001 Tahoe XL

IMG_1554.JPG

Do you think people will watch this ad and say "oh I better buy GM"? If I was in the market for a new truck I would go right to a Ford dealership after seeing one of these ads and let them tell me their side of the story. I expect they have a good one to tell.
i believe that ford should show ad with m1a1 tank, similar to gm showing sub built out of steel, and caption armored with aluminum alloy