Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Working on a 200 Mile Range EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2013 Automotive Performance Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study - 07/24/2013

Highest Ranked Vehicle Appeal among Compact Cars

"The Chevrolet Volt received the highest numerical score among compact cars in the proprietary J.D. Power 2013 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout Study[SUP]SM[/SUP]. Study based on 83,442 total responses from new-vehicle owners of 230 models and measures opinions after 90 days of ownership. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of owners surveyed in February-May 2013. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com
To view the press release"

http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/recipients.htm?industry=Automotive&companyName=Chevrolet

Consumer Reports as well:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/I...-Volt-tops-customer-satisfaction-survey-again

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/29/chevy-volt-again-tops-consumer-reports-owner-satisfacti/

just happens to have the highest customer satisfaction of any car built.

Chevy Volt again tops Consumer Reports Owner-Satisfaction Survey - Autoblog
Ninety-two percent of Volt owners answered "Definitely yes," topping nearly 250 other models for which responses were received. The only difference between this year and last is that in 2011, the Volt won the title thanks to 93 percent of its owners.

Tesla Model S Tops Consumer Reports’ Owner Satisfaction Ratings [Video]
Tesla Model S ... the highest owner-satisfaction score Consumer Reports has seen in years, getting 99 out of 100 points.

Last I checked 99% > 92-93%. ;)

Last I checked 99% > 92-93%. ;)

Last I checked 64k > 35k.

Last I checked 7500 tax rebate and figure come to 56k > 27k

Last I checked high end car (EV or non-EV) has higher maintenance etc..

Sorry just kidding around but I talked to someone who has volt and says he is very satisfied with volt. I am still don't buy GM because of old image but he kind of converted about driving volt :wink:

A car with an ICE engine is going to have more maintenance than a BEV whether you call it a generator, engine ,or fire magic machine. :wink:

With a Volt you are paying $35k for a car with the same functionality as an $18k ICE car.

Some argue the Model S interior is not as good as comparably priced sedans but the vehicle dynamics are superior to anything comparably priced.

IMO Tesla paint jobs are also superior to anything in their class.

A car with an ICE engine is going to have more maintenance than a BEV whether you call it a generator, engine ,or fire magic machine. :wink:

With a Volt you are paying $35k for a car with the same functionality as an $18k ICE car.

Some argue the Model S interior is not as good as comparably priced sedans but the vehicle dynamics are superior to anything comparably priced.

IMO Tesla paint jobs are also superior to anything in their class.

I am not aware of a $18k ICE car on the market that can drive 35-40 miles with full performance, using the AC, heat, or whatever other features you want to use, without using a drop of gas. Could you point me to this ICE car so I can buy it when my Volt lease is up in 2015?

Last I checked 64k > 35k.

Last I checked 7500 tax rebate and figure come to 56k > 27k

Sorry just kidding around but I talked to someone who has volt and says he is very satisfied with volt. I am still don't buy GM because of old image but he kind of converted about driving volt :wink:
I don't see how any of these things relate to the assertion that I believe my quotes disproved.

I think people are missing the point 27k car with 9.0 rating vs 70k car 9.5 make it obvious, which one to select. Also you pay what you get...so tesla for higher price is right for deep pockets (another topic)

Volt isn't totally ice because it is plugin hybrid. It is not required to do lot maintenance in volt (in fact person I know he did nothing for 5 years. ..running on battery)

I will take the car 9.0 with 27k price tag...green & high miles. .

I think people are missing the point 27k car with 9.0 rating vs 70k car 9.5 make it obvious, which one to select. Also you pay what you get...so tesla for higher price is right for deep pockets (another topic)

Volt isn't totally ice because it is plugin hybrid. It is not required to do lot maintenance in volt (in fact person I know he did nothing for 5 years. ..running on battery)

The Volt hasn't been out 5 years. Lol

That great, but the Model S and Volt aren't similar cars, so the customer demographic overlap isn't likely to be huge. If you need more than four seats, the Volt won't be high on the list. If you need to carry more than a few bags of groceries, the Volt won't be high on the list. If you want performance, the Volt won't be high on the list.

My point on calling it a toy in 5 years is that GM won't be able to lean on it as their "one" for moving forward, yada, yada, yada. It will look outdated compared to a $35,000 or lower (for the LEAF) EV that goes 150-200 miles. The Volt is their crutch.

All they need to do is make the Volt all electric and upgrade it with nice LED lights like the concept version (no clue why they scrapped those lights and gave a 40k car crap halogens and weak bulbs)

This was pretty much expected. The incompetence at GM will continue until it folds again. Bragging about a possible 200 mile range car as some breakthrough, when 85kwh Tesla's are on the road in decent numbers is pathetic at best.
Exclusive: The Inside Story of GM's Comeback and Mary Barra's Rise - Businessweek published on 12/12/13 still mentioned it...
Although GM has hinted that it’s working on a next generation of electric vehicle, Akerson says it’s aiming for a compact car that can go 200 miles on a charge and carry a generator, too. While it will be similar to the Volt, engineers are working on generators that could run on gas, diesel, or natural gas. The increased electric range is coming, in part, from advances in battery chemistry. GM is planning to bring the model out in 2016, for about $30,000, according to a person familiar with the idea who asked not to be named because the plans aren’t public. It’s a project that the company doesn’t want to say much about but signifies how it’s been trying to move past inventing things to putting inventions into showrooms. “We want it to be a moon shot so we can surprise the competition,” Akerson says.
Unclear when they got the above info...

The GM deal with Envia has fallen through (it failed to recreate results and the company has two lawsuits against it alleging that it used stolen technology).
http://insideevs.com/general-motors-envia-deal-allegedly-cancelled-after-battery-maker-fails-to-recreate-breakthrough-battery-results/

So the chance of this "200 mile" car coming from GM has almost fallen to zero (as they were depending on this tech to make it a reality).
On the subject of Envia again...

Collapse of Battery Startup Envia: What Really Happened
The mysterious story of the battery startup that promised GM a 200-mile electric car Quartz -- quite long. I haven't read this yet.

Exclusive: The Inside Story of GM's Comeback and Mary Barra's Rise - Businessweek published on 12/12/13 still mentioned it...

Unclear when they got the above info...
I wonder that too. Looks to me like it could be quoting a previous interview or they interviewed people who didn't have up to date info (as Akerson is outgoing and may not be aware of the most recent developments). Of course GM might also have a plan B (Envia's tech isn't really the only choice, which is why I said "almost" fallen to zero).