Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GME and AMC stock action (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funnily enough, as a younger millennial on the cusp of Gen Z who does zero investing by choice, I agree with everything he is saying. The suicide and depression rates for our generation are very real and very scary. I say that as someone who has experienced mental health impacts from a life addicted to the screen (been playing MMORGs since I was a young child as a family member worked at a well known game company - back when Microsoft Zone was a thing and the early days of P2P battle.net).

This does not mean I believe him, nor that he is not using this story to manipulate the market. But I don't find this to be a crazy boomer rant by any means.

And if he is projecting his "loser son" onto others, well, at least he is taking his son's mental health seriously.
Oldest millennial here. He is correct by identifying the problem, but he is blaming the wrong thing. Younger people don't feel like they have a chance at the American dream. Why would they? I hesitate to include myself in this because I think I was lucky to be a little too old to get hit hard but they were told to go to college and get a job and that meant success. That doesn't anymore, it means lots of debt and limited upside because the damn boomers won't retire and let go of their stranglehold on our culture and society. Fight the cause, not the symptom.

Oldest millennial here. He is correct by identifying the problem, but he is blaming the wrong thing. Younger people don't feel like they have a chance at the American dream. Why would they? I hesitate to include myself in this because I think I was lucky to be a little too old to get hit hard but they were told to go to college and get a job and that meant success. That doesn't anymore, it means lots of debt and limited upside because the damn boomers won't retire and let go of their stranglehold on our culture and society. Fight the cause, not the symptom.
My lived experience causes me to disagree with you. I am objectively successful, educated, and debt free, despite the Boomers in my life who have refused to retire or help me. I did this by refusing to participate in the system (well, beyond uni and student loans) and being frugal. I am not saying that what I did is achievable by any person, so please don't take this as a BS bootstraps argument. But in my personal experience, when I started getting off the screen, stopped telling myself that gaming made me happy/fulfilled, started exercising/hiking, changed my diet, and took care of my mental health, it gave me the clarity and energy to say F the haters, and outwork them all. Now I do my best to help others by showing them they don't have to participate in the "American dream" to be happy. Shrugs.

My lived experience causes me to disagree with you. I am objectively successful, educated, and debt free, despite the Boomers in my life who have refused to retire or help me. I did this by refusing to participate in the system (well, beyond uni and student loans) and being frugal. I am not saying that what I did is achievable by any person, so please don't take this as a BS bootstraps argument. But in my personal experience, when I started getting off the screen, stopped telling myself that gaming made me happy/fulfilled, started exercising/hiking, changed my diet, and took care of my mental health, it gave me the clarity and energy to say F the haters, and outwork them all. Now I do my best to help others by showing them they don't have to participate in the "American dream" to be happy. Shrugs.
Isn't that what this is though? A rejection of the norm and not participating in the system according to the old rules? i.e. no, you aren't supposed to buy some doomed stock because it's being shorted to heck, you are supposed to be putting 5% into an S&P 500 fund so that wall street has a steady paycheck while they make the real money.

Isn't that what this is though? A rejection of the norm and not participating in the system according to the old rules? i.e. no, you aren't supposed to buy some doomed stock because it's being shorted to heck, you are supposed to be putting 5% into an S&P 500 fund so that wall street has a steady paycheck while they make the real money.
I do zero investing by choice. That is my idea of what rejection of the norm is. I am ethically opposed to participating in the stock market due to its unseen/unconnected negative effects on people across the globe. Full disclosure: I have a very small IRA due to work matching. I still have it because I'm too lazy to figure out how to cash it out for the small amount it is, but haven't contributed to it in years.

This argument misses the point. The Boomer in question is saying "Do what I say, not what I do".

If he is was a vegan-hiker-candlemaker, he'd have room to talk. Right now, this is just hypocracy.

Want an example of somebody that walked-the-walk their whole life? Follow Dr. David Suzuki. Capitalists and clear-cut loggers hate him. That's part of what makes him so authentic.

"I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made."
- FDR

Cheers!

Last edited:
This argument misses the point. The Boomer in question is saying "Do what I say, not what I do".

If he is was a vegan-hiker-candlemaker, he'd have room to talk. Right now, this is just hypocracy.

Want an example of somebody that walked-the-walk their whole life? Follow Dr. David Suzuki. Capitalist and clear-cut loggers hate him. That's part of what makes him so authentic.

Cheers!

This does not mean I believe him, nor that he is not using this story to manipulate the market. But I don't find this to be a crazy boomer rant by any means.
Yes, cheers.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
I do zero investing by choice. That is my idea of what rejection of the norm is. I am ethically opposed to participating in the stock market due to its unseen/unconnected negative effects on people across the globe. Full disclosure: I have a very small IRA due to work matching. I still have it because I'm too lazy to figure out how to cash it out for the small amount it is, but haven't contributed to it in years.

admirable.

but, but, but we were told the short squeeze was over...
upload_2021-2-5_10-1-40.png

edit: and it is halted now, mr.market could not let the shortz burn for long

Banned for a week from TMC last Friday for making two GME comments in the "main thread" implying that retail will likely be selling a bit of TSLA to buy GME and that it was "OK to do so".

Funny coincidence I'm out of prison the moment Robinhooders are again allowed to buy. Think trading will get halted soon or RH will clamp back down?

Bought modestly and slowly all week concluding with a few @ $54 this morning. My avg stands at $99.56 as of now. Will be holding until at after $1400 checks are dispensed and perhaps trading in between if it skyrockets.