Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM's Cruise tweets cryptic message, plans announcement on January 21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't think I could be disappointed and I am.
What is the point of this vehicle if you don't even have the software to run it?
"We’re on track to crack the superhuman threshold in urban environments, and expect to be well past that threshold by the time the Cruise Origin enters production."
We'll see...

I didn't think I could be disappointed and I am.
What is the point of this vehicle if you don't even have the software to run it?

This is part of the problem with just live-tweeting. We have no clue if they're still presenting... I'm assuming they'll end with something like "Oh, and one more thing. You can hail a Cruise Origin via the Origin App starting tonight in these select cities!"

Yes, but that is just saying that they expect to crack superhuman safety. They already have autonomous driving. They just expect to increase the safety even further by the time it enters production.
They are not currently safer than a human is what they're saying. Tesla is also "on track to crack the superhuman threshold". Obviously they're way closer than Tesla but they're not saying how close. They're not close enough to start testing without safety drivers, we know that.

They are not currently safer than a human is what they're saying. Tesla is also "on track to crack the superhuman threshold". Obviously they're way closer than Tesla but they're not saying how close. They're not close enough to start testing without safety drivers, we know that.

They say that their cars operate "exceptionally well" now. And "on track to crack the superhuman threshold" means that they are very close to achieving "better than human" safety. They follow up by saying "expect to be well past that threshold" by the time the Origin enters production, meaning that when the Origin, they don't just expect to be safer than humans but to be safer by a lot.

"Already, our self-driving cars handle urban driving — which is notoriously chaotic and unpredictable — exceptionally well. So well, in fact, that they would be able to drive across the entire country without incident, even if the country’s highways were the toughest San Francisco streets.

We’re on track to crack the superhuman threshold in urban environments, and expect to be well past that threshold by the time the Cruise Origin enters production
"

I'm really underwhelmed after all the hype. Google image search for "autonomous shuttle":

View attachment 502985

This announcement better end with them announcing a pilot robotaxi program in a few cities, otherwise it's just another shuttle concept...
We had similar looking autonomous shuttles at my previous employer last year. But yes, they only ran on fixed routes.

I was quite disappointing in the announcement too, given the potential hype.
A particular quote that stood out was:
At this very moment, we’re running fleets of our third-generation vehicles on the roads of San Francisco, operating a rideshare service that any Cruise employee can use, 24/7. Last year alone, we accumulated nearly a million miles as we autonomously drove nearly every road in San Francisco.
I guess the geo-fence got larger. Will be interesting to see the 2019 disengagement data they report.

upload_2020-1-22_11-37-36.png

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
So what's stopping them?

Nothing is stopping them. But Cruise has already driven enough autonomous miles to prove that they have achieved enough safety and reliability to remove the driver. Last year alone, they drove nearly 1 million autonomous miles on almost every street in SF. They don't need to do a coast to coast demo.