Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gnarly Front End Rattle.....Something Between the Axles? Subframe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

A week or so back, I posted the video below with a sound I'm hearing from the front end of my P90D. Since then, here's what I've found out:

1) It's coming from both sides, independent of each other.
2) It's actually not the suspension - all components are in good shape and torqued to spec.
3) I hear the noise when I go over sharp changes in road surface (like two concrete plates with a gap between them), not 'smoother bumps'

So, since I hear it from each side, independent of the other, when I go over the same types of bumps on either side, and it's not the suspension, I figure it must be something connecting one side to the other.

Last year the SC replaced my steering rack, and the car has made noises in the front ever since. I'm not sure it's the actual steering rack, that seems to be tight....and it it was moving, I'd think my steering would suck.

The only thing I can think of substantial enough to make such a noise is the Front Subframe....I'm curious if the subframe bolts are loose. I plan to check the bolts below to see if they're torqued down....any other ideas?

B8B0YvG.png

Reactions: jcpetit
Hey folks,

A week or so back, I posted the video below with a sound I'm hearing from the front end of my P90D. Since then, here's what I've found out:

1) It's coming from both sides, independent of each other.
2) It's actually not the suspension - all components are in good shape and torqued to spec.
3) I hear the noise when I go over sharp changes in road surface (like two concrete plates with a gap between them), not 'smoother bumps'

So, since I hear it from each side, independent of the other, when I go over the same types of bumps on either side, and it's not the suspension, I figure it must be something connecting one side to the other.

Last year the SC replaced my steering rack, and the car has made noises in the front ever since. I'm not sure it's the actual steering rack, that seems to be tight....and it it was moving, I'd think my steering would suck.

The only thing I can think of substantial enough to make such a noise is the Front Subframe....I'm curious if the subframe bolts are loose. I plan to check the bolts below to see if they're torqued down....any other ideas?

B8B0YvG.png
Hello Aggmeister2010,
did you ever find out what was the source?
Is it fixed now?

Hello Aggmeister2010,
did you ever find out what was the source?
Is it fixed now?
YES!

It was actually rattling inner brake pads on the front and right calipers. When I changed them, I forgot to grease the sliders, and they were rattling around. A good chunk of grease on the back of the pads and some lube on the sliders, and the sound is gone.

• Informative
Reactions: beatle and jcpetit
YES!

It was actually rattling inner brake pads on the front and right calipers. When I changed them, I forgot to grease the sliders, and they were rattling around. A good chunk of grease on the back of the pads and some lube on the sliders, and the sound is gone.

So glad I found this thread. I have this identical rattle in my MYP - have found no other thread after months of searching where someone was exhibiting the same sound/frequency.
So this was literally a matter of greasing the pins that hold the pads into the calipers? Nothing more?
To this day, that rattle is still gone after greasing the brake components?

So glad I found this thread. I have this identical rattle in my MYP - have found no other thread after months of searching where someone was exhibiting the same sound/frequency.
So this was literally a matter of greasing the pins that hold the pads into the calipers? Nothing more?
To this day, that rattle is still gone after greasing the brake components?

Yep! That solved it 100%, to this day. Grease the pins and the sides of the pads, anything that makes contact. That should do it.

If you want to test that this is where your sound is coming from, drive on a bumpy road where you hear this sound….then drive back down the same stretch with light pressure on the brake pedal.

If the pads are rattling, they won’t rattle when they’re compressed against the rotor. So, if the noise stops in that test, this is your solution.

Reactions: soulsea