Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Ahead -- Grade my Vanity Plate Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you guys do realize you still get your electricity out of the coal factory etc? o_O

...no?

Because lots of folks don't.

Coal was barely more than a quarter of US electricity generation in 2018 for example- plus of course producing it in a factory is vastly more efficient than producing it in tons of individual ICEs.

I do note you're in australia- where coal seems to remain a much higher % of power generation everywhere other than Tasmania and SA.... seems like a perfect place for solar though.

you guys do realize you still get your electricity out of the coal factory etc? o_O

I was living in Spokane, WA, USA when I got my first electric car in 2006 or 2007. All my electricity came from hydro. Now that I've moved to Maui it's coming from diesel, but only for a couple of months, until I get my solar installed, and then it will all come from the sun. (There was a waiting list for the installation, so I'm getting it from the grid for a short time.) But the large diesel generators that power the grid here are much cleaner and more efficient than any gas or diesel car. And some (probably small) part of the grid power here is from wind and from excess residential solar that's fed back into the grid.

You Australians are way behind the curve. You need to put up solar in your sunburned country.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I had this idea. Think Elon would like it?

upload_2019-5-8_13-35-15.png

And these cars have oil in them. The electric motors have reduction on the axle which is lubricated by it.

Is this supposed to mean that because there's a tiny bit of lubrication oil in them, they're just as bad as cars that constantly spew out carbon dioxide and filth any time they're driving? That if you cannot completely eliminate all oil you might as well drive a car that burns as much gasoline as you possibly can?

The oil in an EV is a small amount of lubrication that might have to be changed once every five or ten years, if ever, compared to the half to three-quarters of a gallon of motor oil every 5,000 miles in a gas car, in addition to all the gasoline they burn.

Is this supposed to mean that because there's a tiny bit of lubrication oil in them, they're just as bad as cars that constantly spew out carbon dioxide and filth any time they're driving? That if you cannot completely eliminate all oil you might as well drive a car that burns as much gasoline as you possibly can?

The oil in an EV is a small amount of lubrication that might have to be changed once every five or ten years, if ever, compared to the half to three-quarters of a gallon of motor oil every 5,000 miles in a gas car, in addition to all the gasoline they burn.
I think your sarcasm detector needs recalibration! :)