Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go from 2014 S85 to 2013 P85+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all of the attention on the autopilot features, I feel as though non-AP cars will depreciate further. Since I don't drive much on the highway, AP has no use for me. I also firmly believe that government regulations will greatly reduce the capacity for Tesla to roll out new features that can be used in city driving.

With that belief in mind, do you believe it is a good idea to trade a 2014 S85, pay $15k, and end up with a 2013 P85+? Is there really a big difference in build quality? Wouldn't Tesla just fix whatever squeaks occur?

Please advise me on this. I hope to pursue this option if it makes sense in Jan 2016.

Also, what exactly is the difference that the "+" makes? (performance plus package?)

I don't see the benefit, aside from getting a "P" car. The + is stiffer suspension, 21" rims, and staggered wheel sizes. It's definitely a tighter ride, but also has more road noise. You definitely feel the road. I have a P85 and test drove a P85+ back when I was shopping, and found it definitely wasn't for me. I felt every bump on the road. The gains it provided on curvy roads were washed out by every other mile I drove on regular roads and highways.

I don't necessarily agree with your AP assessment, but even if you feel strongly about it, I don't see what there is to gain by trading. A little faster off the line? But then you have a car with a background you know nothing about.

With all of the attention on the autopilot features, I feel as though non-AP cars will depreciate further. Since I don't drive much on the highway, AP has no use for me. I also firmly believe that government regulations will greatly reduce the capacity for Tesla to roll out new features that can be used in city driving.

With that belief in mind, do you believe it is a good idea to trade a 2014 S85, pay $15k, and end up with a 2013 P85+? Is there really a big difference in build quality? Wouldn't Tesla just fix whatever squeaks occur?

Please advise me on this. I hope to pursue this option if it makes sense in Jan 2016.

Also, what exactly is the difference that the "+" makes? (performance plus package?)

I have a P85+ (delivery July 2014), without AP functionality. The '+' is a suspension option, tuned for performance, coupled with 21" staggered wheels. The difference between a 'P' and the 'S' is a quite noticeable increase in torque off the line. The difference between the '+' and regular suspension is a stiffer more performance-like ride. I like to feel the road, and the 'P+' certainly provides that.

I don't completely agree with your assessment of AP, but I don't like it for other reasons. I've been driving for 40+ years. I bought the P85+ because I like to drive, and I do drive it like I stole it sometimes. My average lifetime Wh/mi is above 350. I've had a P85D loaner with the full AP functionality and software just recently, and I tried it out for a couple of days while my P85+ was in for service. Autopilot highway driving is both terrifying and amazing at the same time. While AP is a cool technical achievement which I'm certain will continue to improve, it actually diminished my enjoyment of driving. I'm happy without AP.

I'm not sure I would recommend what you are proposing. The $15k price difference is a lot to get an older car (albeit with higher performance) and one you don't know, nor how it's been driven or treated.

You firmly believe government regulations will greatly reduce the capacity of Tesla to roll out new features? Can you elaborate on this as you seem to know something that we don't know?
Per your question, i would look for a year newer or atleast same year with AP....hard to justify going back a year

I thought there was more to the + than just a stiffer suspension. Thank you all for clarifying that. I had a P85 loaner twice already, and just love the extra power. The dual motor limits the frunk space which has been a great feature of the car for me personally. My car is an early 2014 production, VIN 36XXX. With the warranty provided by Tesla, does it really matter how the other guy drove the car? It's not like we're dealing with Chrysler here...Tesla will replace my motor/drivetrain/etc if it goes bad.

My opinions on government are solely from personal experience. Regulations tend to delay innovation.

Also, the Model S is really due for a face lift, so why not have a little more power to enjoy on the daily, and then in 1-2 years buy a brand new one. What's really the difference between a P85 VIN 20XXX and a P85 VIN 30XXX after all?

Do it!...just get the highest VIN that you can. You might be able to find a + without the staggered wheels. If you do get a + with the staggered wheels just ask your local SC if they want tot swap you rear wheels. Some SC like to have a few sets of the large rear wheels in case someone cracks one etc...

IMHO ...Paying $15K to switch is not worth it

I was talking to one of Tesla employee the other day and as most MS owners are aware...newer ones have better builds (generally speaking).

You mention that non AP cars will depreciate a lot...so why spend $15K to get another non auto pilot car when it is going to depreciate..

It just does not make sense to me.

- - - Updated - - -

No way that's worth it.

I'm with you on this...