Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after I test drove a 2021 3 a few days back and had nice long conversation about the New Mexico situation the rep got back to me after speaking to some bosses and tesla infrastructure people got back to him. We spoke today and said Tesla is aware and is planning a sw New Mexico location. They have not published the location but from our conversations it’ll probably end up being either Roswell or Carlsbad. I iterated the heavy demand for those wanting an easy I40 southbound transition as well as the caverns visitors and being a hub point for those ending up in Ruidoso where there are some destination chargers. Again I mentioned the fact that Carlsbad alone has several brand new hotels of semi upscale branding that in other locations have ev charging and at the least some of those should be a host candidate. Tesla also said many of the other dfw Tesla locations have had customer complaints about west tx and nm and that they were aware of the need. Promising or hopeful I don’t know. If Lubbock is a gauge who knows.

I'm testing humanity... we'll see how long this J1772 adapter lasts. It's connected to the HPWC cable so it will at least have to be cut off if it wants to wander away.

View attachment 633323
That's nice. I imagine you already considered it, but another possible option, assuming the management is willing, would be to have the adapter kept behind the counter in the McD's. That would decrease the likelihood of it being taken since it wouldn't be left out in the open all the time. The obvious downside being that it would also reduce availability since access might challenging or impossible during hours when the dining room is closed.

That's nice. I imagine you already considered it, but another possible option, assuming the management is willing, would be to have the adapter kept behind the counter in the McD's. That would decrease the likelihood of it being taken since it wouldn't be left out in the open all the time. The obvious downside being that it would also reduce availability since access might challenging or impossible during hours when the dining room is closed.

I'd considered it. I didn't want to burden the employees and there would still be the possibility of someone using it and just not returning it. Also the possibility of a PHEV driver stumbling on the EVSEs and having no way to know they can charge. At least this way it's obvious. Perhaps somewhat naively I thought the most likely scenario of it disappearing would be someone 'accidentally' putting it in their car. At least with it secured to the cable that can't happen.

The Artesia materials shipped yesterday. I'll be installing a 64A Clipper and a 80A HPWC so this won't be an issue there. It was kinda funny. Clipper actually called to verify the order. They wanted to make sure I was aware a 48A EV can't charge at 64A with the clipper. It's only $100 difference so I thought it was worth it...

I'd considered it. I didn't want to burden the employees and there would still be the possibility of someone using it and just not returning it. Also the possibility of a PHEV driver stumbling on the EVSEs and having no way to know they can charge. At least this way it's obvious. Perhaps somewhat naively I thought the most likely scenario of it disappearing would be someone 'accidentally' putting it in their car. At least with it secured to the cable that can't happen.

The Artesia materials shipped yesterday. I'll be installing a 64A Clipper and a 80A HPWC so this won't be an issue there. It was kinda funny. Clipper actually called to verify the order. They wanted to make sure I was aware a 48A EV can't charge at 64A with the clipper. It's only $100 difference so I thought it was worth it...

Great! I updated the Artesia listing on PlugShare.

@nwdiver: Lea County Electric in Livingston has a dual ChargePoint unit in their parking lot, but it appears to be configured for restricted access and not open to the public. Any chance you could talk to them about opening this up for public use?

Lea County Electric Co
1300 W Avenue D, Lovington, NM 88260, United States

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Google Maps

@nwdiver: Lea County Electric in Livingston has a dual ChargePoint unit in their parking lot, but it appears to be configured for restricted access and not open to the public. Any chance you could talk to them about opening this up for public use?

Lea County Electric Co
1300 W Avenue D, Lovington, NM 88260, United States

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Google Maps

Weird. I didn't even know about that since my plugshare filters restricted chargers. I'll try. It's a bit of a contradiction to publish a restricted charger on plugshare... why? URENCO near Eunice has a pair of chargepoints they don't want the public using. You know what they didn't do? Put them on plugshare....

A better place to charge might be Chaparral park just down the street. I'm curious as to who added it. Plugshare really needs to ID the originator so not any Tom, Dick or Harry can volunteer any plug...

Clipper arrived. 64A continuous... and the pigtail is #8 wire?

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 9.06.57 PM.png

Weird. Kinda funny all the people that freak out when they hear someone using #8 on a 14-50. That's only 40A. This is using the same size wire at 64A.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 9.20.01 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I’m not sure how 8 gauge is allowable for that much current. Ignoring wire type and just looking at gauge and temperature rating, cerrowire suggests 8 gauge is only good for 55 amps. But I’m not an electrician so I might be missing something.

6E3C9431-2E8F-466E-8E2B-5C429029ECA7.jpeg

I’ve had similar questions about the internal wiring of devices not being sized properly according to the NEC and the rated load. The response I’ve always heard is “If the UL says it’s good, then it’s good”.

Basically if the manufacturer puts the device thru UL testing, it gets a pass on NEC requirements in relation to the device itself, as long as it is not modified in any way.

The circuit providing power and installation still has to fall under NEC guidelines.

Where are the destination chargers in Roswell? I’m looking in PlugShare but can’t see them. Only wall sockets on a couple of hotels north of town.

Filters are tricky. I think a lot of people get tripped up. They're at the N Roswell McDs. AKA UFO McDs.

Figured it out this morning. I had the Hotel/Lodging toggle on which kept this one hidden. Thanks again!