Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's possible that Tesla is worried about their "branding" and doesn't want to advertise an HPWC at a McDonald's :) Most of the HPWCs are at mid- to high-end hotels.

Possibly. It is mildly frustrating since I know several less plugshare savvy Tesla drivers have missed it. Would also help if Tesla would integrate plugshare into the nav... at least as an option.

Hi Chris. Congrats on Artesia going in soon. Sent something to help out. Love the work and support you guys are doing for the EV community. Funny I was just thinking of you and your project the last week or two and today got an update on Artesia from GoFundMe. Look forward to seeing photos of the progress. Should make a lot of EV drivers happy to see the new location. All the Best.

Hi Chris. Congrats on Artesia going in soon. Sent something to help out. Love the work and support you guys are doing for the EV community. Funny I was just thinking of you and your project the last week or two and today got an update on Artesia from GoFundMe. Look forward to seeing photos of the progress. Should make a lot of EV drivers happy to see the new location. All the Best.

Might have been a little embellishment but a friend told me there was a 'line of Teslas' in Roswell. I think what that really meant was that she couldn't charge because both chargers were occupied.

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 6.26.10 PM.png

I'm planning to install 2 pedestals in Artesia. One with a HPWC and 64A Clipper and one with a pair of 14-50s.

Is it weird that ~98% of the reason I want chargers in Artesia is because it's such an oil town? :)

It’s in these cases I wish Tesla still offered a double ac charger. Thank you for bridging the charger gap in the land of the EV forsaken. 😂

I always thought of Artesia as more of a farming community then an oil town. The smell between Roswell and Artesia reminds me of the stench between Sacramento and Bakers field.... cows, cows, and more cows. When the sun is baking that stuff...it’ll make you wanna puke.

Andrews is much more of an oil town and to my surprise, our MY has more fans then I would have thought. No haters in the Midland/Odessa areas either. The local Ford dealer has their MachE demo and from what they said there’s a lot of interest.

I tell people there’s still plenty of plastic on our Tesla, and it still uses rubber tires, and in my case it’s powered by 50% natural gas, 10% solar, 15% wind, 10% nuclear, and 15% coal.... and all those ”generators“ need petroleum.

It’s in these cases I wish Tesla still offered a double ac charger. Thank you for bridging the charger gap in the land of the EV forsaken. 😂

I always thought of Artesia as more of a farming community then an oil town. The smell between Roswell and Artesia reminds me of the stench between Sacramento and Bakers field.... cows, cows, and more cows. When the sun is baking that stuff...it’ll make you wanna puke.

Andrews is much more of an oil town and to my surprise, our MY has more fans then I would have thought. No haters in the Midland/Odessa areas either. The local Ford dealer has their MachE demo and from what they said there’s a lot of interest.

I tell people there’s still plenty of plastic on our Tesla, and it still uses rubber tires, and in my case it’s powered by 50% natural gas, 10% solar, 15% wind, 10% nuclear, and 15% coal.... and all those ”generators“ need petroleum.

I've reached out to the owner of Pizzeria La Sierra in Seminole about putting an EV charger in to help with trips to Lubbock. He was skeptical that there are any EVs that would use it... how do you feel about coming to a Tesla pizza party :)

Last edited:
Not in the area but just chipped in (via Gofundme) for a large supreme pizza on me LOL. If the pizza party doesn’t work out, consider the funds towards a future charger.

You should try to arrange a TMC roadtrip for anyone in the area who can show up in support of an EV charger at Pizzeria La Sierra. I like their massive stags outside their entrance. Suspect people in Texas are dining in already but if not some sturdy paperplates, a slice or two of pizza and distancing work well outdoors. By recent news accounts of jobs Elon/Tesla/SpaceX is bringing to Texas I’m sure Texans would be happy to support the effort. See more and more TMC Texans here.

Last edited:
Not in the area but just chipped in (via Gofundme) for a large supreme pizza on me LOL. If the pizza party doesn’t work out, consider the funds towards a future charger.

You should try to arrange a TMC roadtrip for anyone in the area who can show up in support of an EV charger at Pizzeria La Sierra. I like their massive stags outside their entrance. Suspect people in Texas are dining in already but if not some sturdy paperplates, a slice or two of pizza and distancing work well outdoors. By recent news accounts of jobs Elon/Tesla/SpaceX is bringing to Texas I’m sure Texans would be happy to support the effort. See more and more TMC Texans here.

Thank you!

We're breaking ground in Artesia next weekend. Probably start removing the landscaping rock Friday April 9th if anyone local wants to swing by to hangout or help shovel rocks :)

Chris,

I've noticed that people are motivated to contribute after they use the charging facility, but for now the connection between the EVSE and your ongoing project is opaque unless people happen to also read this thread.

With that in mind, some thoughts:
  1. Give your project a name, a mission, and a legal footing
  2. Set up a nice website
  3. Link to your website from plugshare if allowed
  4. Add a plaque to each location with a brief description of the project, and an easy path to the website (short URL and qR code.)
Tesla folks, please share any other ideas.

And as always, hooray to you for the initiative and let me know if I can help.

Give your project a name, a mission, and a legal footing
Here is a synopsis for what is involved in setting up the project as a non-profit 501(c)(3).
It does not look onerous or expensive.

This will let people contribute tax free (or said another way, contribute pre-tax dollars.) For the next 2 years everybody can make pre-tax donations as part of the Covid economic stimulus even if they do not itemize, and in general taxpayers age 65+ enjoy the same benefit.

---
Speaking for myself, I am much more likely to contribute generously if it is on a pre-tax basis. Not only does it let my donation go further, it avoids side effects if my annual AGI exceeds certain limits. I presume this is true for others too but I'd like to hear what other forum members think.

---
I'd also like to think (or maybe hope) that a non-profit would have easier access to private-public agreements that might include infrastructure or locations, or grants. Municipalities can be resource rich and cash poor, and they are by nature interested in increasing tourism.

Last edited:
Here is a synopsis for what is involved in setting up the project as a non-profit 501(c)(3).
It does not look onerous or expensive.

This will let people contribute tax free (or said another way, contribute pre-tax dollars.) For the next 2 years everybody can make pre-tax donations as part of the Covid economic stimulus even if they do not itemize, and in general taxpayers age 65+ enjoy the same benefit.

---
Speaking for myself, I am much more likely to contribute generously if it is on a pre-tax basis. Not only does it let my donation go further, it avoids side effects if my annual AGI exceeds certain limits. I presume this is true for others too but I'd like to hear what other forum members think.

---
I'd also like to think (or maybe hope) that a non-profit would have easier access to private-public agreements that might include infrastructure or locations, or grants. Municipalities can be resource rich and cash poor, and they are by nature interested in increasing tourism.

Brian Dear reached out to me today via email. We're going to talk later this week and I'll bring up the idea of setting up a non-profit or working with an existing one. I may have a slight conflict of interest on both ends since I do have obligations to a for-profit electric service company. I think being an officer in a for-profit and a non-profit simultaneously that offer similar services would be... tricky.

Made some progress with Artesia today but the trencher I had lined up didn't show and I didn't feel like digging a 2' deep 80' long trench by hand... so next weekend...

I am investing in 320A service this time since Roswell seems to be attracting more EVs than I expected.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 5.05.43 PM.png

Happy to see Artesia moving forward.

Have you considered contacting any social media press to see if they would like to do an article on your efforts? Could help bring more awareness to supporters of EVs across the country who see the article and wish to donate to the GoFundMe effort. I’m not from the area but willing to support your efforts. I’ve noticed that many of the GoFundMe stories that get written about end up raising quite a bit of money. I love grass roots efforts but a bigger reach might move things along faster to meet your goals and do more good.

I think articles that also focus on the companies that are hosting the space etc for these chargers would be great to see. They play a big part in this as well. Might be something business oriented publications would want to do a story on. I assume you’d have no problem getting the location owners’ cooperation and they’d be willing to be interviewed. Maybe a photo op of install team and location owner/s by the equipment with car/s charging and happy drivers inside?

It’s nice you have a track record now and people can follow along to see how their participation is helping out EV drivers and the environment.

Last edited: