Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sent you a small donation. Keep up the good work.

Thank you!

I think articles that also focus on the companies that are hosting the space etc for these chargers would be great to see. They play a big part in this as well. Might be something business oriented publications would want to do a story on. I assume you’d have no problem getting the location owners’ cooperation and they’d be willing to be interviewed. Maybe a photo op of install team and location owner/s by the equipment with car/s charging and happy drivers inside?

It’s nice you have a track record now and people can follow along to see how their participation is helping out EV drivers and the environment.

It's pretty dry on the host front right now. I think I got really lucky meeting the owner of the McDonalds in Roswell and Artesia. It was really frustrating getting rejection after rejection trying to find a host. It's going to be interesting to see how the business attitude toward hosting EV charging shifts as they become more mainstream. I like the idea of a photo op... I'll have to arrange something with a few Tesla owners.

Reactions: wreighven
Myself and a few other Tesla owners are meeting at Carlsbad Caverns NP at 10am on Thursday April 22nd (Earth Day) if anyone is interested. Figured this would be a good time to visit since I'm vaccinated and the NP is restricting the number of people that can enter so it should be more peaceful than it usually is. I also want a photo op of a few EVs in front of the NP entrance sign to show that charging at the NP WOULD be used....

Carlsbad Caverns National Park Tours

Myself and a few other Tesla owners are meeting at Carlsbad Caverns NP at 10am on Thursday April 22nd (Earth Day) if anyone is interested. Figured this would be a good time to visit since I'm vaccinated and the NP is restricting the number of people that can enter so it should be more peaceful than it usually is. I also want a photo op of a few EVs in front of the NP entrance sign to show that charging at the NP WOULD be used....

Count me in !
I hope to meet other TMC folk there.

BTW, the link is correct but the title might be a bit misleading. Scroll down a bit to find the self-guided tours booking link. Chris and I have chosen the 11:30am slot for the self-guided tour.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
Making it back is probably tricky in anything other than a long range S. My 3 certainly wouldn’t be able to do that round trip without an additional 50% charge.

True... I expect that there will be charging in Carlsbad soon. But the odds of charging between Carlsbad and El Paso is low.... there's really nothing there. I think this is one of the stretches of road that there's no gas or water for ~100 miles.

We might be able to get some charging in Whites City. That's technically between Carlsbad and El Paso...
That would actually help me, since I would like to return home via El Paso rather than retrace my steps up through Roswell. Or perhaps ... a stop in Artesia. I'll come to regret my dislike of that place. How is the install going ?

But one way or another, El Paso to the Caverns to El Paso is ~ 300 miles range required (or more)

Last edited:
I have a 2019 SR+. ABRP is showing the route as 164 mi and max 60 mph with an orange line. I suspect the elevation change is a factor. And as Big Earl said making it back would be tricky.
There's actually a sign on US62 just east of El Paso that says "NOW LEAVING SR+ TERRITORY."

Okay, I'm kidding. But this part of the country is definitely not built for the SR+.

That would actually help me, since I would like to return home via El Paso rather than retrace my steps up through Roswell. Or perhaps ... a stop in Artesia. I'll come to regret my dislike of that place. How is the install going ?

But one way or another, El Paso to the Caverns to El Paso is ~ 300 miles range required (or more)

There is already an RV park there with 14-50s that does cater to EV driver. That's one charging option so you can make it back to Roswell without too much anxiety. That's what really annoys me about the lack of L2 at the NPs. It's not hard... I'd love to know what's driving the intransigence. For ~$20M they could have a pair of L2s at every NP visitor center. $20M is pocket change for the department of the interior...

We're working in Artesia tomorrow. Might be done next weekend but the inspection and XFMR will probably take until June.

My wife and I going to try and attend, but we’ll need to use the RV park to L2 for a couple hours to make it back home. Its 7 miles from the rv park to the NP visitors center. (Sure would be nice to have some EV chargers at the VC...😎).

Plug share comments has the rv park charging between $10 per charge and $10 per hour... seams kinda high.

We will probably just charge in Pecos, and head north.

Does ABRP see the Roswell stations? I played around with a route that had me charge in Roswell and it sent me to a ChargePoint at a Honda dealer.

I don't think ABRP uses plugshare. The Roswell stations are only on plugshare.

Stopped by today. Nice to see it getting used... though I know the white car is a local and I think the red one is too since it didn't wait but drove off.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 12.14.42 AM.png

I was at the Roswell setup last week. It is really well done and a boon to what was otherwise a huge gap in charging. Hooray to @nwdiver.
I owe the McD owner patronage for his hosting but we ate Thai that day.

One small comment about the setup -- the charger cables don't have a good place to hang when not in use because the stanchion is only ~ 3 feet high so they tend to lay on the ground in part. Perhaps it is something to consider in future installations.