Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw the update to Artesia/McDonald’s site today from GoFundMe email. Looking good and nice to see some additional contributions coming in.

Maybe someone with a nice writing style should compose a piece on Chris’ efforts and submit to TMC for their blog? See that they are looking for a writer. I think a one-man’s vision to fill a need & the EV community effort to blaze a charging path for EV users in this part of the country would be a nice read and hopefully bring in additional supporters as more people on here are reached. I don’t know exactly how I stumbled on Chris’ thread but it’s nice to feel like you are helping and part of a community effort. Nice to see people who are making use of it taking the time to post here and on the GFM site as well.

Last edited:
Pouring concrete this weekend.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.12.35 AM.png

Francis Energy has some DCFC’s planed for the Allsup fuel stations in NM using VW settlement money. Probably CCS1 and maybe some chademo. We just need Tesla or Setec to get their adapter out and working correctly.

I emailed Francis Energy and asked if they had anything started and ....not even a permit filed yet. So it’s a snails race between Tesla and third party charging companies to install DCFC in SE NM.

Looks like Francis Energy incorporated in NM in April. They have a branch office in Roswell now. So hopefully we'll start seeing some DCFCs popping up. According to the VW settlement awards they're slated for Hobbs, Artesia, Roswell, Carlsbad, Vaughn, etc...

Be interesting to see where their funding is coming from. The VW funds are covering ~30% but that still leaves >$200k per station.

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 1.40.59 AM.png

Kind of fortuitous. Spotted a pair of Clipper Creek pedestals on eBay for $300ea and was tempted to pick them up on my way through Denver coming back from the Sound of Silence Rally. Thought I'd missed my chance but they got reposted for $200ea. Less than half retail. Gonna call Clipper tomorrow and see if they'll give me a discount if I order 3 64A Clippers. Should be starting Carlsbad in ~October and maybe online before Christmas... we'll see.

Restored the landscaping. Just waiting on some overhead wire, a transformer, a meter and.... a 'NO PARKING EXCEPT FOR EV CHARGING' sign.

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 11.09.59 PM.png

Hopefully so. $969 is a little steep compared to gen 2 Tesla Wall Connectors at $500.

Yeah... but I really want this to be accessible to non-Teslas. The adapter I placed in Roswell is kind of a disaster because putting things back the way you found them is apparently FAR too complicated for most people. And I think a Clipper Creek just has a longer life span than a HPWC.

Reactions: Big Earl
@nwdiver, if ClipperCreek won't work with you, have you considered Grizzl-E smart EVSEs? Still more expensive than HPWCs and only 40A instead of 64A but they do support OCPP for logging and billing if desired and look to be well built with a good warranty.

I've considered that too. I was leaning more toward Enel X Juicebox since they have a 48A version. I also really want a higher power EVSE especially since it looks like the Ford Lightning will have a 80A onboard charger.

Really sucks that the J1772 standard isn't compatible with 277v. That would haven been awesome to get (80A)(277v) = 22kW from L2. Also hoping that someone will start making 80A EVSEs again...

Reactions: sdoorex
The Clipper Creek CS-100, while shockingly expensive at first glance, is a very robust 80 amp unit that allows billing through the Liberty Hydra app (I had no idea what this actually was until some of these stations were installed near my family in Bellingham, WA).

Once the initial sticker shock wears off, one realizes that it can be a better deal than a number of commercial options like ChargePoint. That said, this is really only worth doing if you're trying to bill users for their usage. If offering EV charging as a free amenity is cool with the property owner, the initial expense of the CS units just isn't worth it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
I've considered that too. I was leaning more toward Enel X Juicebox since they have a 48A version. I also really want a higher power EVSE especially since it looks like the Ford Lightning will have a 80A onboard charger.

Really sucks that the J1772 standard isn't compatible with 277v. That would haven been awesome to get (80A)(277v) = 22kW from L2. Also hoping that someone will start making 80A EVSEs again...
There is one other 80 amp option that is often overlooked.

Awesome! What's next on the docket? (Aren't we patient around these parts?)

Carlsbad. Waiting until ~October for cooler weather and to see if Tesla decides to install SuperChargers. The Owner of the McDs in Roswell and Artesia now owns both McDs in Carlsbad so we can choose the North or South location. The south location would be perfect for Superchargers IMHO. I'd rather not install near superchargers.... seems redundant.