Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carlsbad. Waiting until ~October for cooler weather and to see if Tesla decides to install SuperChargers. The Owner of the McDs in Roswell and Artesia now owns both McDs in Carlsbad so we can choose the North or South location. The south location would be perfect for Superchargers IMHO. I'd rather not install near superchargers.... seems redundant.

Bless that McD's owner's heart. Next time I'm down there, it's an all-Big Mac diet.

Bless that McD's owner's heart. Next time I'm down there, it's an all-Big Mac diet.

Yeah. We really lucked out finding someone with multiple restaurants and no problems giving away electricity for EVs. I usually try the salad but I think I've eaten more at McDs in the last year than all the previous years combined :)

Congrats on getting Artesia online. Are the NEMA 14-50 receptacles active, as well?

I see that the new version of PlugShare doesn’t allow copy and pasting from the app, making it difficult to go to the gofundme link. It might be nice to print out some QR codes that take people to the gofundme campaign and tape them to the charging pedestals.

Congrats on getting Artesia online. Are the NEMA 14-50 receptacles active, as well?

I see that the new version of PlugShare doesn’t allow copy and pasting from the app, making it difficult to go to the gofundme link. It might be nice to print out some QR codes that take people to the gofundme campaign and tape them to the charging pedestals.

That's a good idea. I'll have to do that.

The 14-50s are active but for some reason Artesia requires the pedestal to stay locked. I've bought a pair of plug-in EVSE I plan to attach to the pedestal and I may install another 64A clipper as well depending on how much use Artesia gets.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 3.24.22 PM.png

Reactions: Big Earl
Hey Christopher @nwdiver not really up for a group Clipper Creek purchase but do you have any updates on your L2 efforts in SE NM? What’s next in your plan? Thinking about making another donation…

Figured the odds were low but thought I'd try. I ordered 3 clippers last week. 2 for Roswell and 1 for Carlsbad. A 80A HPWC was donated to me so the plan is to install a 80A HPWC and a 64A clipper creek in Carlsbad. Should be able to get the HPWC in Carlsbad online by ~November but our electrician is really busy with a lot of other projects.

Looks like things are changing for Tesla owners in NM! @nwdiver you and your crews efforts have played a part in bringing this change about and enabling more Teslas and EVs to enjoy the state. I know from early on you’ve been campaigning wherever you could for more charging access in that part of the state.

Here’s the news coverage I just read with regards to the new Tesla store, service and deliver center. Hopefully it will spur more Supercharger sites in the east but in the meantime charging stations you’ve added are making travel more convenient and comfortable for Tesla and all EV drivers.

Quick update:

We ran into some confusion over addresses or something so we're working through that with the planning department in Carlsbad before we start the installation. Clippers are still back-ordered so initially Carlsbad will probably just be a HPWC and a pair of 14-50s on a 400A service.

I think we may have a pathway to allow for donations through a 501(c)(3) AND possibly installing L2 chargers at the visitor centers for Carlsbad and Guadeloupe NPs next year. Stay tuned :)

Quick update:

We ran into some confusion over addresses or something so we're working through that with the planning department in Carlsbad before we start the installation. Clippers are still back-ordered so initially Carlsbad will probably just be a HPWC and a pair of 14-50s on a 400A service.

I think we may have a pathway to allow for donations through a 501(c)(3) AND possibly installing L2 chargers at the visitor centers for Carlsbad and Guadeloupe NPs next year. Stay tuned :)

I recommend considering Gen 3 wall connectors. Built-in billing is coming soon, which will ease the financial pressure on existing and prospective site hosts.

SemaConnect's new J-1772 station for homes and businesses is hitting the market soon, too. I've submitted a feature request for built-in billing and they acknowledged it, so we'll see. 🤞

IMO, mass adoption of destination charging requires a billing component so that property owners aren't on the hook for all of that power, especially in areas that are underserved by DC fast charging.

Last edited:
I recommend considering Gen 3 wall connectors. Built-in billing is coming soon, which will ease the financial pressure on existing and prospective site hoses.

SemaConnect's new J-1772 station for homes and businesses is hitting the market soon, too. I've submitted a feature request for built-in billing and they acknowledged it, so we'll see. 🤞

IMO, mass adoption of destination charging requires a billing component so that property owners aren't on the hook for all of that power, especially in areas that are underserved by DC fast charging.

Two requirements I have are it needs to be universal and at least 48A. The Gen 3s should works since my understanding is that there is a way to program it to function with J1772. The residential SemaConnect has 48A output but looks like the others are currently limited to 30A.

I really hope public ~30A L2 goes away. The cost bump to 48A is ~10% for 50% faster charging. When I plug-in and get < 7kW (208v)(32A) I almost feel more insulted than grateful.

I'm not yet convinced that billing is really that necessary. If you think of all the other 'free' amenities we take for granted free charging isn't really that expensive especially if the service is connected to a solar array so the electric costs are closer to wholesale than retail. Exported energy here is only worth ~$0.02/kWh so charging an EV with surplus energy is <$0.30/hr. IMHO the biggest benefit to billing is to ensure charging is available to those that ACTUALLY need it and not just someone looking to pickup a few free kWhs. My prediction is that in most cases the revenue from charging stations after taxes would be so low that it's not going to be worth the effort.

But it's going to be interesting to see how this unfolds. I noticed that Las Cruces is pulling all their free HPWCs and Clippers and replacing them with Chargepoints that bill $0.13/kWh. Which I would be 100% ok with if they weren't 30A EVSEs.....