Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to finally stop by and see the Roswell and Carlsbad locations over spring break on my way through a CO-NM-TX-NM-CO road trip. Thanks again for putting these in, @nwdiver! Makes taking the direct route to Carlsbad / Guadalupe Mountains / Fort Davis a whole lot less stressful.

Although now I'm stressing that the spots will be ICEd. :)

@nwdiver you mind sharing your near term plans for next steps for SE NM charging? I know myself and some others may be interested in helping out financially. Appreciate all your work!

Thank you! Next project will be adding a 64A and 48A clipper creek to Roswell. I'm hoping we can find the time to get that done by ~April. I might expand Carlsbad depending on cash flow and how busy Carlsbad gets.

Federal Grants are supposed to become available in May covering 80% of the cost of the installation. I've had preliminary meetings with Roswell and Carlsbad development directors to discuss EV charging. I think the mid-term goal will be to start deploying chargers at hotels but so far there hasn't been much interest.

Thank you! Next project will be adding a 64A and 48A clipper creek to Roswell. I'm hoping we can find the time to get that done by ~April. I might expand Carlsbad depending on cash flow and how busy Carlsbad gets.

Federal Grants are supposed to become available in May covering 80% of the cost of the installation. I've had preliminary meetings with Roswell and Carlsbad development directors to discuss EV charging. I think the mid-term goal will be to start deploying chargers at hotels but so far there hasn't been much interest.
Thats crazy you’re not getting interest from Hotels. We search out hotels that offer EV charging.

Thats crazy you’re not getting interest from Hotels. We search out hotels that offer EV charging.

Teslas might be ~ 1% of the cars that stay at hotels. Say you represent 50% of all Tesla drivers.

I don't know why you are surprised that hotel owners are not kept awake at night worrying about lack of EV charging at their properties. You and your like minded Tesla owners are still a rounding error.

How much does one of those Clipper Creek’s cost you with your pricing? Asking for a friend LOL. 😉

Ok let me be more direct. How much does one cost? I am thinking of funding one for you.

I still have to install the 48A and 64A in Roswell, I have the units.... We got a little busy recently but I'm hoping our electrician will have some time in March.

After Roswell I'll probably add a second pedestal to Carlsbad with 2 more EVSEs. Not sure if those will be clippers. I'm going to try to apply for grant funding and that may require the EVSEs to be networked for monitoring. In which case I'll probably install 48A Enel X Juiceboxes that run ~$650ea. Juiceboxes are cheaper but I think the clippers are more robust.

Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 1.06.36 PM.png

I'm going to try to apply for grant funding and that may require the EVSEs to be networked for monitoring. In which case I'll probably install 48A Enel X Juiceboxes that run ~$650ea. Juiceboxes are cheaper but I think the clippers are more robust.

By the way, Grizzl-E supports OCPP, puts the EVSE guts in metal enclosures, are current adjustable, and they offer good cables and excellent handles with metal tongues.

I'm quite enamored with that company.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdoorex and nwdiver
Thanks! Chowing down on some form of McChili while adding a few electrons before settling in Carlsbad for the night.These are absolutely helpful given the sorry state of infrastructure down here. It's a shame Tesla won't add them to the nav (I received the dreaded 'son, you're on your own' warning nearing Roswell).

View attachment 780030
You haven't really lived until you've gotten that warning when your next intended charging stop was actually at a supercharger :)

Well, we sucked down 84 kWh from two of your chargers. I tossed some dollars to the GoFundMe again. Thanks again for making this area more accessible!
@Zaxxon if you get the chance, I highly recommend the Hancock Hill hike in Alpine and a Chisos Basin hike in Big Bend. My family and I just got back from there (sadly in my Tundra, as we're still waiting on the replacement Tesla). When you're at Ft. Davis, make sure to do the small hike "above" the fort. There's a loop that's like 1.5 miles total that gives a great aerial view of the area. Hope you enjoy your trip!

-Wreighven

Reactions: nwdiver