Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Zaxxon if you get the chance, I highly recommend the Hancock Hill hike in Alpine and a Chisos Basin hike in Big Bend. My family and I just got back from there (sadly in my Tundra, as we're still waiting on the replacement Tesla). When you're at Ft. Davis, make sure to do the small hike "above" the fort. There's a loop that's like 1.5 miles total that gives a great aerial view of the area. Hope you enjoy your trip!

-Wreighven
Unfortunately we nixed Big Bend for this trip (extremely limited with dogs and we aren't bringing extra family to allow for splitting up this time out). Will keep in mind for next time! I did do the Ft Davis loop above the fort, though. Was great.

Reactions: wreighven
64A Clipper Creek for Artesia incoming! Thank you @nwdiver for all of your work making this beautiful part of New Mexico available for us EV drivers! Gray Matter 2 and I can’t wait to come visit! Just took delivery of her this past Friday…

Attachments

• 8BA97F97-8AF2-48D0-ADDA-1EAA756B2A2D.jpeg
    8BA97F97-8AF2-48D0-ADDA-1EAA756B2A2D.jpeg
    647.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 29446462-D6CC-41F1-9D97-C142B9F2F4AF.jpeg
    29446462-D6CC-41F1-9D97-C142B9F2F4AF.jpeg
    700.8 KB · Views: 92
64A Clipper Creek for Artesia incoming! Thank you @nwdiver for all of your work making this beautiful part of New Mexico available for us EV drivers! Gray Matter 2 and I can’t wait to come visit! Just took delivery of her this past Friday…

Thank you!

Pending the schedule of the electrician I work with I think I should be able add another 64A Clipper Creek to Artesia by mid-April. That should be super-easy since we planned for it. Just need to add it to the other pedestal.

Finding the time to rebuild the stations in Roswell has been difficult.

2nd 64A Clipper Creek for Artesia has arrived :) Thank you!

That's a Zero motorcycle that was charging on the other pedestal. On the way to San Diego from Florida.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 11.22.24 PM.png

@nwdiver I was reading up on transformers today and noticed some have taps up to 5% above nominal to account for voltage drop on the primary. Are you allowed to request (regardless of voltage drop) one of those higher taps for transformers that only feed EV charging? We know most Teslas handle 277V and other EVs should be able to handle ±10% (264V), so on paper it *shouldn't* burn anything to the ground...?

Reactions: Big Earl
@nwdiver I was reading up on transformers today and noticed some have taps up to 5% above nominal to account for voltage drop on the primary. Are you allowed to request (regardless of voltage drop) one of those higher taps for transformers that only feed EV charging? We know most Teslas handle 277V and other EVs should be able to handle ±10% (264V), so on paper it *shouldn't* burn anything to the ground...?

Xcel can't really do that. It's 240v service so it has to conform to 240v standards. But they did upsize the wire and the transformer a bit so you get a solid 240v even under full load.

@nwdiver and plans or progress on your efforts in the Artesia / Roswell / Carlsbad corridor? Or any updates on the Francis Energy stuff you're aware of? Heading out there soon for a long weekend I think (probably end of August). Thanks!

They're all up and running. We got busy so the expansion of Roswell has been delayed but if that's full you should be able to charge in Artesia.

It appears that Tesla will now do automated billing for sites that are willing to install 6 or more Wall Connectors.

Do you guys think this will motivate people to start installing more outlets per site or is the cost of 6 too high to make it worth while ?

Reactions: Big Earl