Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
If anyone is interested I've started a Go Fund Me to collect donations for EV charging in SE NM. The available places to charge is embarrassingly thin. Targeted areas would be Carlsbad, Artesia, Roswell and Capitan. I co-own a PV installation company in NM and plan to use our electricians to perform the work between projects basically performing these installs 'at cost'.

Please feel free to recommend potential hosts

Go Fund Me.

Tossed a few bucks in. Good luck. Have you been in touch with Tesla's destination charging team? They might be willing to throw a few HPWCs your way to assist. Especially if a few owners chime in backing the need.

• Love
Reactions: nwdiver
Tossed a few bucks in. Good luck. Have you been in touch with Tesla's destination charging team? They might be willing to throw a few HPWCs your way to assist. Especially if a few owners chime in backing the need.

Thank you. I have. I know they stopped funding the installs and only donate equipment now. A pot of money designated to fund the install would probably help.

Reactions: Zaxxon
Hear, hear. I’m all for chargers in SE NM, an area I’ve barely explored as my S doesn’t have the range. I will let folks know about this GoFundMe in the Tesla Owners Club of New Mexico. Hopefully a bunch of folks will pitch in!

I’d also recommend emailing Tesla’s supercharger team to let ‘em know of this effort in the hopes they might reveal something line: hey those long/promised additional superchargers in NM are being built soon... or not.

Depending on how generous Tesla is with equipment donations how do you guys feels about these installs being mostly 14-50s? I would assume that most people traveling in SE NM would have a UMC or some other mobile connector with them. WAAY cheaper than buying a clipper and almost as effective.

Far better than what's available now. The downside being that the 2nd-gen UMC tops out at 32A, and the cars can mostly take 48A these days. If there's a way to do 48A then that would be far preferable.

So either is a big improvement, but 48A would be much more practical for any locations that are not hotels. Not so Important if they will be overnight charges.

To put this in perspective, here are the Plugshare and Tesla maps for NM:

upload_2019-5-24_12-53-5.png

L2s in Roswell/Artesia/Carlsbad would be a great help.

Just donated. Have friends & family in West Texas and Eastern NM, and like that part of the world. In fact driving my MS to Lubbock next week for a wedding, a little further north but going through Santa Rosa NM, then diagonally SE to Lubbock through “no charger” territory.

I charged at the free RV park in Levelland last week. Nice little park but there aren't any accommodations.

Also have you all considered an alternate/additional plan, taking advantage of Tesla’s Destination Charger Program?

This could involve canvassing businesses and places of public interest in SE NM and getting them to partner with Tesla in the program.

Charging Partners | Tesla

I think @nwdiver is considering this. It sure seems like a fit to me.

Also have you all considered an alternate/additional plan, taking advantage of Tesla’s Destination Charger Program?

This could involve canvassing businesses and places of public interest in SE NM and getting them to partner with Tesla in the program.

Charging Partners | Tesla

That was kinda one of my motivations to doing this. Charlie Mayer worked with the Limpia hotel as the host and Tesla donated the equipment. My company installed 2 HPWCs and a 32A Clipper. Fairly easy. I'd like to do a few more.