Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GoFundMe to Dyno the AWD (non-Performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MountainPass

I have a service date scheduled for December 21st. at the Tesla service center in Toronto-Mississauga 420 Ambassador Dr. Apointment is for 10:30am and it's to address my doors sticking. I'm hoping it will be a quick visit. I will keep you posted but would like to try to meet up with you guys after that. Let me know if that looks like it would work.

Make sure the battery pack is hot. 100% charge for maximum power, but 70% sounds good for a real world output that most drivers will see on a daily basis. Ideally we'd get both numbers, but that would likely take multiple dyno sessions.

Both of us have a bit of a drive to the dyno so batt will be warm and there is a supercharger within a few miles, we will both charge to 90% for the runs. Since the runs will be back to back, we won't get to test much lower SOC just where the car is at after each run.

Ok, drum roll please........... the data is in, we ran a couple of runs of both the M3D and the M3D Performance and the comparison graphs are attached.
Also ran a run of both cars in Chill mode with very minimal deviation between the two. Both cars were close to 90% SOC and dropped to close to 80% by end of runs. Power output varied by less than 1% from 90% down to 80% on the runs, i.e. no loss of performance on the SOC drop at high level.

Vid of run: DSC_0212.MOV

Thanks @hoang51 for the long drive down for the P3D!

Attachments

• 2018 Tesla Model 3 with Performance Upgrade vs. Dual Motor Final.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 445
  • 2018 Tesla Model 3 with Performance Upgrade vs. Dual Motor2 Final.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 330
  • Scott Francis - 2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Final.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 378
Last edited:
It's interesting that it looks like almost both max torque and max hp are both about 100 from AWD non p to AWD P. Also that the torque graphs are almost identical in shape. Another thing is that the non p graph looks like it reaches a certain power in both torque and hp and is held at that level. graphs are almost flat. Where as the AWD p is more bell shaped. could this be software limits? I guess could be a safety limit for the non p as the motors where not tested like the P motors where.

Also if you look at the chill mode, the graphs look identical in shape to the non p AWD one.

Thanks for doing this for us, I will post my results from my visit to Mountain Pass. If they are willing I will try to do runs at the same state of charge that they did for the RWD. Of course this is entirely up to them if they will allow me to do that many runs.

Make sure the battery pack is hot. 100% charge for maximum power, but 70% sounds good for a real world output that most drivers will see on a daily basis. Ideally we'd get both numbers, but that would likely take multiple dyno sessions.
You can see in the video above when MPP dyno'd the LR RWD they saw negligible difference between 90% SOC and 95%. They didn't even bother with 100%, the big step was from 75% to 60% (at list their initial test, I don't know if that's ever been corroborated). Sure the AWD could be somewhat different because it's got two places to sink the current into so more potential to bottleneck on the battery. However bigger picture aiming for use at 100% isn't all that realistic anyway, since it can take quite a while to get that last 5%, it's harder on the battery to go there, and you've got next to no regen so do you really want to drive like that anyway?

Reactions: hoang51 and TORQU3