Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going between Tesla's regenerative braking and ICE (stick shift) braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a future M3 owner so I figure I'd gets some thoughts on this topic while I anxiously await a delivery date for my car!

During my test drive, I immediately recognized the auto regenerative braking/coasting controlled by the "go" pedal was something I'd need to get used to. Seeing how the majority of you probably went through the same "getting used to process" I was hoping to get some thoughts or advice on how to get used to it and maximize regen efficiency without making driving awkward or dangerous.

Furthermore, I also wanted to get some thoughts/advice on how to seamlessly switch between Tesla's auto-regen and regular braking of an ICE car as I'm guessing most of you still have an ICE car in addition to a Tesla. For example, I can envision getting used to the Tesla "go" pedal and then when in an ICE car, not letting go of the gas pedal in time.

And finally, to throw another twist to the discussion, for the (I'm assuming) few of you like me, coming from only driving manual/stick-shift cars as my primary driver for the past 25 years, what are some of the things you miss about the manual transmission and how you adapted to auto-regen, especially around the topic of engine braking.

Just get used to not fully lifting the accelerator pedal. It'll take a few hours, but you'll adapt very quickly to feathering the accelerator.

Regarding braking, remember that it is only about 50% efficient in recovering energy back into the battery. The most efficient way to drive is to not overaccelerate. Regen makes it easy to accelerate up to red lights with less guilt, but it's less efficient than driving more modestly. Of course, what's the fun in that? :D

Coming from manual transmissions, automatic transmission and dual clutch transmissions, I can safely say that you won't miss them one bit after driving your Tesla for a few days. You'll adapt very quickly and get to know how far your stopping distance is without having to use the brake. Winter will reduce regen significantly, as a cold battery can only accept limited charge and it takes a while for it to warm up as you drive.

Switching back to ICE after driving an EV for a while is annoying. You'll forget to turn it off, you'll be surprised by the lack of regen and you'll be frustrated with shifting gears (less so in a manual than an automatic, in my experience).

You'll figure out your regen/braking point the more you drive as you try to use the brakes less. I think your comparison to a stick in low gear is pretty close but zero energy advantage gained in the ICE.
The only thing I miss about an ICE (my Jeep) is seeing a dirt road and driving down it. I have to think where I'm going and will I need to drive on dirt,, then I'll leave the car at home.

i came from a manual car. its probably an easier transition than from an automatic honestly. the regen braking is very similar to engine braking on a manual car. its slightly different driving habit but with time, you will get use to it
Same here, my daily commute was a 3000gt vr4, 6 speed. Wife has a 335xi automatic. For me it was harder to adjust when ever I drove the BMW than now driving the model 3.

On those rare occasions when I use my wife's ICE car, my mindset completely changes. The driving experience is so vastly different I have no problem remembering there is no regen braking.

Where I get tripped up is my wife changes the regen setting to low when she drives my Model 3 and leaves it there because she hates regen braking. Very annoying.

Ah yes, first world problems.

I'm a future M3 owner so I figure I'd gets some thoughts on this topic while I anxiously await a delivery date for my car!

During my test drive, I immediately recognized the auto regenerative braking/coasting controlled by the "go" pedal was something I'd need to get used to. Seeing how the majority of you probably went through the same "getting used to process" I was hoping to get some thoughts or advice on how to get used to it and maximize regen efficiency without making driving awkward or dangerous.

Furthermore, I also wanted to get some thoughts/advice on how to seamlessly switch between Tesla's auto-regen and regular braking of an ICE car as I'm guessing most of you still have an ICE car in addition to a Tesla. For example, I can envision getting used to the Tesla "go" pedal and then when in an ICE car, not letting go of the gas pedal in time.

And finally, to throw another twist to the discussion, for the (I'm assuming) few of you like me, coming from only driving manual/stick-shift cars as my primary driver for the past 25 years, what are some of the things you miss about the manual transmission and how you adapted to auto-regen, especially around the topic of engine braking.

First, it usually takes a long time to get used to regen. I believe that average learning time is 1-2 hours ;)
It pretty close to being on 3rd on a 5 speed whenever you let off the accelerator. It's the equivalent of moderate engine braking.

Just like how you learned to drive by feathering the clutch for a smooth launch from a stop, using regenerative breaking is similar. It's a trial and error process where you'll need to experience how much slow down you need when you let off of the accelerator pedal. Stop signs are good practice locations. ;)

I honestly do not miss driving my manual transmission car of 12+ years. I just don't have sentimental attachment for the gears shifting "fun". I recognize that one pedal driving is actually an improvement over my previous car, or any other ICE car really. Makes taking corners easier with faster response.

I've only ever had manual transmission cars before the my M3 and I was initially sad about not having that anymore, but now I haven't looked back and do not miss it at all. I think it took me about a week to get used to the regenerative braking in terms of being able to do it smoothly so that it's not a noticeable difference to a passenger, or not having to think about it too hard. I love being able to drive on the freeway in traffic that's slowing and speeding up and never have to use the brake pedal.

I still have the manual too and I tell you what, it's a bit of a trip going back to it after a month driving only a the M3, going from almost one pedal driving to 3 pedals and a gear stick again.

My STI 6MT is my daily driver, and the M3 is my wife's (see avatar). I find that I want to drive the M3 on the weekends more than my car.

One pedal driving is awesome. It feels so natural and I enjoy being able control the car (way more than an automatic).

It took me about 5 minutes to get used to it and then a few more drives to 100% master.

You don't lift off the pedal, just gradually reduce the pressure applied to control the car. Even for off-ramps or to make a turn to another street, just ease up and go.

I find that the M3 has more aggressive braking force than my STI with just a pedal lift (not downshifting). It is simiar to driving around in 2nd gear like for autoX.

I find it somewhat annoying to have to use my brake pedal for the STI.

I have always had manual cars (in addition to AT for the wife). I will probably replace the STI with a Model Y and then in the future pick up a MT for a weekend warrior.

My STI 6MT is my daily driver, and the M3 is my wife's (see avatar). I find that I want to drive the M3 on the weekends more than my car.

One pedal driving is awesome. It feels so natural and I enjoy being able control the car (way more than an automatic).

It took me about 5 minutes to get used to it and then a few more drives to 100% master.

You don't lift off the pedal, just gradually reduce the pressure applied to control the car. Even for off-ramps or to make a turn to another street, just ease up and go.

I find that the M3 has more aggressive braking force than my STI with just a pedal lift (not downshifting). It is simiar to driving around in 2nd gear like for autoX.

I find it somewhat annoying to have to use my brake pedal for the STI.

I have always had manual cars (in addition to AT for the wife). I will probably replace the STI with a Model Y and then in the future pick up a MT for a weekend warrior.
Thanks for the input. Glad to hear another person not missing the manual transmission much as well as adjusting to the M3 quickly! I'm still deciding if I should keep my manual IS300 for weekend driving or sell it...

Even though I won't be going between a manual and the M3 often, I will still be going between the M3 and my wife's Prius regularly. For ICE or hybrid cars (manual or not), the "right" thing to do in the majority of cases when approaching a stop is to let go of the gas completely, but for the Tesla, you would only let go of the "gas" pedal partially to take advantage of regen. Have you, or anyone else, found it difficult to go between these two somewhat contradictory actions when switching between a Tesla and regular car often? I can envision a case where I'm in my wife's Prius, but act like I'm in the Tesla, and accidentally hold the gas pedal down too long while approaching a stop.

Thanks for the input. Glad to hear another person not missing the manual transmission much as well as adjusting to the M3 quickly! I'm still deciding if I should keep my manual IS300 for weekend driving or sell it...

Even though I won't be going between a manual and the M3 often, I will still be going between the M3 and my wife's Prius regularly. For ICE or hybrid cars (manual or not), the "right" thing to do in the majority of cases when approaching a stop is to let go of the gas completely, but for the Tesla, you would only let go of the "gas" pedal partially to take advantage of regen. Have you, or anyone else, found it difficult to go between these two somewhat contradictory actions when switching between a Tesla and regular car often? I can envision a case where I'm in my wife's Prius, but act like I'm in the Tesla, and accidentally hold the gas pedal down too long while approaching a stop.
I can't speak to AT/EV transition, but MT/EV hasn't been an issue. Also, regen seems to turn off at ~5 mph, and below, so you need to use the brake pedal at that point.

Reaction time is much quicker with one pedal driving. If you get cut off you only let off for full force regen, vs limited engine braking while you move over to the brake pedal.

Before I bought my Model3, I had a Prius. I used to beg my wife to let me go to the grocery store for her so that I could drive her Model X. It is just so much more fun to drive Tesla’s one pedal driving. Now I don’t need to adjust my thinking with my Model 3!!

We’ve been an all EV family for 2 years. When I occasionally drive a manual transmission (track only) car it feels 100% natural. When I drive a rental car with a an automatic, continuously variable or dual clutch transmission I find it very unnatural. In moderate traffic I will let go of the rental car’s accelerator expecting regen to slow me down but then have to use the brake. Since I have to slow down more than expected I brake harder than is comfortable for the passengers. It ends up with a little bit of an aggressive ride. I also try to use brake hold when stopped in rental cars. It makes me look like I don’t know how to drive to others around me.

What I miss when driving an EV compared to my track car: the occasional awesome heel and toe downshift. I would gladly give that up to avoid shifting on track. It would also help me avoid a second “money shift.”

Reactions: pdp1 and Snow Drift
i came from a manual car. its probably an easier transition than from an automatic honestly. the regen braking is very similar to engine braking on a manual car. its slightly different driving habit but with time, you will get use to it

Same situation here. I've been driving exclusively manual cars as my daily driver for almost 20 years before I made the switch to my Model 3. Regenerative breaking in a Tesla feels a lot like engine brake, so it's fairly easy to get used to.

After driving manual for so long as a daily driver, I've gotten to the point where I don't miss a manual at all. The only place where I may miss it is in autocross or on a track day, but even then the Model 3 has proven to be such a great handler that I don't even miss it much there either.

The only thing I do miss is the more involved driving experience, as in downshifting, heal-toe shifting, and the skill it takes to manage a high ICE horsepower car through turns with traction control completely off. While the Model 3 is great through twisties, it's a very muted experience because the traction control is so advanced. If could afford a P3D, I would've opted for that but maybe in another year or two.

In moderate traffic I will let go of the rental car’s accelerator expecting regen to slow me down but then have to use the brake. Since I have to slow down more than expected I brake harder than is comfortable for the passengers. It ends up with a little bit of an aggressive ride. I also try to use brake hold when stopped in rental cars. It makes me look like I don’t know how to drive to others around me.

What I miss when driving an EV compared to my track car: the occasional awesome heel and toe downshift. I would gladly give that up to avoid shifting on track. It would also help me avoid a second “money shift.”
I think you captured my concerns perfectly here. I guess when I go back to an automatic, I'll have to be more conscious about when I should be letting go of the gas pedal, but as long as it doesn't feel so weird to a point where I'm in danger of running into the car in front of me, it will probably be fine.

As for the manual, yeah, the heel-toe downshift is probably what I'll (initially) miss the most, even though it really doesn't buy me much on regular roads, it's something I learned and have done since high school for fun. I suppose, technically, you can achieve the same motions with the Tesla.... but that feeling when you match RPMs perfectly and feeling almost no resistance or jerkiness when sliding the car into gear...

Anyway, thanks everyone for keeping me entertained/informed while I wait for my delivery date... which has since been scheduled for 12/7, can't wait!

Reactions: tread
IMO it's easier to go from a stick to Model 3. The "normal" regen braking really feels a manual when you are engine braking. Going back to a regular ICE car doesn't cause any problems for me.

I miss the "fun" of a proper manual transmission but that's my trade off for crazy cheap fuel etc.

Going back and forth to an ICE has been a non issue for me. I sometimes drive my wife's car and even though I want nothing more than to be back in my M3 it's not like I forget how to drive the ICE. I will say it feels a bit primitive after getting used to the 3.

What I find actually harder to get used to is when it's cold enough for the the regen in the M3 to be gone completely. It feels REALLY strange to just coast in the tesla for some reason.