Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going bush in Model 3 over Christmas break

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Hairy.
I might point out that when using the UMC on a standard "15-amp" single-phase socket the car draws 12A, and similarly 8A on a standard 10A GPO. Therefore the powers into the vehicle are 3kW and 2kW respectively when using these sockets, not 3.6kW and 2.4kW.

Your values are absolutely right, but I'm just pointing out that a 15A socket doesn't mean 15A into the car.

Cheers, A.
The gen 1 UMC gets full amps, and is not subject to the 20% downgrade for continuous loads applied to the gen 2 UMC.

Reactions: Candleflame
The gen 1 UMC gets full amps, and is not subject to the 20% downgrade for continuous loads applied to the gen 2 UMC.

That is correct, however in my book, 20% charging power is too much power to "leave on the table" at 10A or 15A charging locations ... if that's important (it is) you should leave your Gen2 MC at home and get a Gen1 original UMC from Tesla but you'll still need the 5pin euro-adaptor, and the 20A & 32A tails.... or simpler to get the 11kW EVSE with the tails bundle, does 10A to 32A and no 20% throttling on single phase.

Reactions: Techno-phile
Hello everyone,

We are a retired couple and new owners of model 3 and new members of this forum - first post (so please go easy on us).
We are planing a cross country drive from Sydney, going west across inland NSW down to VIC and across to SA, returning northwards to Mildura and to Wagga and rejoin the Hume hwy back up to Sydney.

We have studied the Plugshare website and we have a good idea of overnight stops and where to charge.

We understand what a destination charger is and we understand the CCS2 at the superchargers, but outside of that we are a bit confused as to what adapters we should carry with us, especially when Plugshare says '3phase' - is that one adaptor only?

Any guidance from more knowledgeable folk is appreciated.

Eddy and Vicky.
I have a Gen1 UMC and 3-phase 5-pin cables and adapters.
PM me if you want to borrow them.

That is correct, however in my book, 20% charging power is too much power to "leave on the table" at 10A or 15A charging locations ... if that's important (it is) you should leave your Gen2 MC at home and get a Gen1 original UMC from Tesla but you'll still need the 5pin euro-adaptor, and the 20A & 32A tails.... or simpler to get the 11kW EVSE with the tails bundle, does 10A to 32A and no 20% throttling on single phase.

I might add here too to bring some aluminium foil or some cover to put on the gen 1 umc - in the desert it is not possible to draw 16A with the umc as it heats up too much and you will only able to draw 12a or so. Even if i put my gen1 umc in the shade when its 45 degrees i can only get 15a max.

I might add here too to bring some aluminium foil or some cover to put on the gen 1 umc - in the desert it is not possible to draw 16A with the umc as it heats up too much and you will only able to draw 12a or so. Even if i put my gen1 umc in the shade when its 45 degrees i can only get 15a max.

Hello and thank you for the tip... we are planning on charging with the mobile charging connector during overnight stops when it is cooler, but will remember to bring the tin-foil nonetheless.

We didn't know about the drop in charging using the normal power point, so we may have to factor for that during overnight stops.

Hello and thank you for the tip... we are planning on charging with the mobile charging connector during overnight stops when it is cooler, but will remember to bring the tin-foil nonetheless.

We didn't know about the drop in charging using the normal power point, so we may have to factor for that during overnight stops.

@Candleflame is spot on with daytime charging in hot weather, a black cable sitting on black asphalt doesn't help. Overnight charging should be easier on warmer nights, the best policy is to avoid extension cables as much as possible, monitor the cable and charging early in the charge cycle and keep in mind some of the older 10/15amp power outlets have gone through a tough life over time due to weather, insects and careless citizens, if a power outlet looks dodgy find another one. Also keep in mind that if you plug into a busy tourist location on a warm late afternoon the initial voltage will be fairly low, later in the evening once the power draw from all the cooking/aircons/laundry drops off voltage increases and charge completion time is earlier.
Edit- Also try to avoid sharing a power box with other tourists as there likely to accidentally switch off/trip over your charging cable in the dark.

Still a bit confused - from what we understand, using the mobile charger on normal power points you don't get the full amount of power. Something to do with how the mobile charger is designed. We are planning our trips assuming we would be driving 3-400kms per day and stopping overnight at Motels (or staying at friend's houses) and charging overnight.
I read at evchargers.com.au website that their Evse portable charger solves that problem as it comes with its own normal power plug.
Has anyone used it ? did you get a full charge of the battery overnight ?

Still a bit confused - from what we understand, using the mobile charger on normal power points you don't get the full amount of power. Something to do with how the mobile charger is designed. We are planning our trips assuming we would be driving 3-400kms per day and stopping overnight at Motels (or staying at friend's houses) and charging overnight.
I read at evchargers.com.au website that their Evse portable charger solves that problem as it comes with its own normal power plug.
The most you get from a 10 amp household plug is 10 (11 if you are lucky) kms added per hour of charging. From a 15 amp power point (not that common in houses) it will be 15 (16) kms per hour of charging. To get more you will need to stop at a site that has more output than 15 amps with an attached plug that suits your car, or you are carrying an adapter that can access that output. Depending on what each particular power source is will determine if you get at least 30-50 or more kilometres per hour added.
If you know where you are heading and stopping on your journey, you can plan and plot your travelling so you are not left short or stranded for longer than you want.

The most you get from a 10 amp household plug is 10 (11 if you are lucky) kms added per hour of charging. From a 15 amp power point (not that common in houses) it will be 15 (16) kms per hour of charging.

That is correct... those figures relate to charging at 10A or 15A outlets using the Gen1 UMC. The OP was questioning the 20% reduction in power when using the 10A or 15A tails with the Gen2 mobile connector when charging Model 3 (and now Model S/X Raven).

I am reliably informed the TOCA Adaptor Loan Program recently acquired a 11kW EVSE and will soon undertake some tests to see whether the optional 3rd party 10A and 15A tails that can be ordered with the unit deliver the full 100% when charging the Model 3.

If I hear anything I'll post the results.

The article below describes the gen 2 MC and why for safety the max current was reduced from 40A to 32A. I think for the same reason the ANZ 10A and 15A plugs were reduced to 80% ie 8A and 13A. The new ANZ plugs probably also support the temperature sensing and current reduction. This is a good thing for safety, there where some fires in the US from the old UMC so I would prefer to take the lower rate and higher safety.

For Tesla End-To-End Charging, There's Supercharging & Destination Charging. For Everything Else, There's The Mobile Connector — Part II | CleanTechnica

P.S. I thought the ANZ plugs could take continuous loads at rated current but I am no longer sure of this as I have seen others mention that it should only be 80% like in the US.

The Model 3 is slightly more economical than the Model S, so you will get a bit over 10km/hr from a normal power point. It's not really enough for roadtripping, since you will probably want to use the car during the evening and leave in the morning, so only about 10 hrs where the car can charge. Of course, if you are planning to spend a few days somewhere then it is probably OK.
In my opinion, for real peace of mind you need to be staying somewhere with 32A charging, such as a 5-pin 3 phase plug or a Tesla Destination Charger. Then you're certain to be at 100% even after a short overnight stay (eg. 11pm to 7am).

The article below describes the gen 2 MC and why for safety the max current was reduced from 40A to 32A. I think for the same reason the ANZ 10A and 15A plugs were reduced to 80% ie 8A and 13A. The new ANZ plugs probably also support the temperature sensing and current reduction. This is a good thing for safety, there where some fires in the US from the old UMC so I would prefer to take the lower rate and higher safety.

For Tesla End-To-End Charging, There's Supercharging & Destination Charging. For Everything Else, There's The Mobile Connector — Part II | CleanTechnica

P.S. I thought the ANZ plugs could take continuous loads at rated current but I am no longer sure of this as I have seen others mention that it should only be 80% like in the US.
I'm pretty sure 10A continuous is fine. I've never changed to 8A anywhere I've charged.
If you use an extension it's gotta be a good one, at least 15A rated, not "heavy duty" which is usually the bare minimum copper to call it 10A without a lawsuit.

I've never changed to 8A anywhere I've charged.
The OP has a Gen2 mobile connector that is included in with the vehicle. Using the 10A tail automatically reduces the current draw to 8A You don't actually change anything.

If you use an extension it's gotta be a good one, at least 15A rated, not "heavy duty" which is usually the bare minimum copper to call it 10A without a lawsuit.
Yes good advice - I think the moniker "heavy duty" refers more to the thicker outer rubber sheath, rather than the cross-sectional area of the actual copper. The tradies heavy duty bright yellow extension cable you buy at Bunnings has the size stamped on it - 3 x 1.5mm² - no wonder it comes with a tag that says "always uncoil before using" - LOL.

For 10A power points that are hard to reach I carry on-board a 15m extension cable - 3 x 2.5mm² conductors, class 5 plain annealed flexible copper, ethylene propylene rubber insulated, chlorinated polyethylene rubber sheathed cable*
(*words in italics not mine, copied from supplier's quote)

Gen2 UMC is limited to 8A for the 10A adapter and 13A for the 15A adapter. Gen1 UMC is not limited which in practice means 16A as most people use a selfmade 10A plug wired to the EU 3 phase adapter which allows currents up to 16A.

The most you get from a 10 amp household plug is 10 (11 if you are lucky) kms added per hour of charging. From a 15 amp power point (not that common in houses) it will be 15 (16) kms per hour of charging. To get more you will need to stop at a site that has more output than 15 amps with an attached plug that suits your car, or you are carrying an adapter that can access that output. Depending on what each particular power source is will determine if you get at least 30-50 or more kilometres per hour added.
If you know where you are heading and stopping on your journey, you can plan and plot your travelling so you are not left short or stranded for longer than you want.

This is all weird australian shinanigans even though you guys use the same cables (rated for 16A) with the same specs as us in the EU with our Schuko 16A EU plug behind a 20A breaker. You generally always wire 2 paired outlets to your breaker which is nice for the consumer as they do not need an extension lead but essentially limits you to 10A per socket. However, in practice, if you do not use the second socket you can draw a 16A continuous load just as much as with a EU Schuko as long as the wire is not too long. I probably wouldn't do it with a really cheapish made 10A 3112 plug though or with an old crusty outdoor 10A socket... I think older australian houses also just have a 15A breaker for the 2x 10A outlet so I wouldn't try to to draw more than 14-15A without knowing for sure.

PS: In queensland you get 11-12km from 8A btw because its 240V here which actually means almost an additional 500W charging via 3 phase!

Last edited: