Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going crazy about Performance brakes? [Tesla using caliper covers on rear brakes of Y performance after supplier switch]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can you tell which ones you have without removing the wheel? Is it physically shorter so you can measure it and determine which one you have?

June '22 delivery here.

You will be to see through the wheel easily.

Check out post #3. If it looks like the brake the person has in their hand, it's the Brembo. If it's the one pictured on the OPs car, it is Mando.

Reactions: towndrunk
@towndrunk - On the Brembos, you will see 2 circular indent on each end, see attached. The Mando caliper covers don't have the circular indent and the edge don't have 🐫 humps. lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215_153503_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215_153503_Gallery.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 439
  • Screenshot_20221215_155809_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215_155809_Gallery.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 315
That’s how basically every spoiler is done from any oem. Tape is fine if the correct one is used and it’s done right.

My OEM spoiler (previous car) had 4 studs that went through the trunk lid, as well as double sided tape... unlike my MYP spoiler it never started to fall off on its own, and when I changed it out for a different one, I had to remove 4 nuts and loosen the tape to get it to come off.

Keith

My OEM spoiler (previous car) had 4 studs that went through the trunk lid, as well as double sided tape... unlike my MYP spoiler it never started to fall off on its own, and when I changed it out for a different one, I had to remove 4 nuts and loosen the tape to get it to come off.

Keith
There are exceptions to every rule, buy my MYP spoiler is perfectly fine even in NC heat and humidity. Ive also owned several cars installed with tape and again no issues. If the RIGHT tape is used and installed CORRECTLY you will NOT have any problems.

There are exceptions to every rule, buy my MYP spoiler is perfectly fine even in NC heat and humidity. Ive also owned several cars installed with tape and again no issues. If the RIGHT tape is used and installed CORRECTLY you will NOT have any problems.

I hope you had some wood handy to knock on when you made this post :) Go out and wiggle the ends of your spoiler and see if your statement made them start to come loose :D

Keith

So if you have a MYP with these brakes should you ask to get them replaced? Or is it within spec lol
It's a non-issue. The rear calipers hardly do much work and under actual heavy braking the front 4 pots do all the work anyways. It is in spec because they make the spec. Btw the rears are just fancy looking sliders, nothing to cry about.

Correct. It is purely cosmetic if one would like to change it.

I myself do want to change mine preferred but on the other hand to be realistic, the cost and being practical does not make sense to do it. For the time being, I just let it be.

What are the smallest wheels that will now fit on the "Mando" calipers included with the performance since the change?

Are there other differentiating components or features that limit what size wheels now fit without issue?

Last edited:
Just picked up my '23 MYP in early December and noticed the rear brake caliper cover while I was installing some mud flaps. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on since I assumed it had Brembo's all around too.

I know this is a recent change (Aug '22 or later) but has anyone taken the rear caliper cover off to see what the Mando caliper looks like or measured the rear rotor to verify it's the same size as the previous brake setup on the later MYP's?

Thoroughly read the MPP article and it looks like I may have found the answer to my question, shows that the Mando caliper is still red and the rotor is the same size and weight. Does anyone have photos of the "Mando Base (Red)" caliper that's under the cover? Thinking about how it would look if I just removed the obvious caliper cover over it, especially if the Mando caliper is red.

1672960940873.png

Thoroughly read the MPP article and it looks like I may have found the answer to my question, shows that the Mando caliper is still red and the rotor is the same size and weight. Does anyone have photos of the "Mando Base (Red)" caliper that's under the cover? Thinking about how it would look if I just removed the obvious caliper cover over it, especially if the Mando caliper is red.

View attachment 892756
Based on that information, does that mean the current Performance Model will accept the 18" unmodified wheels now if that is a desirable attribute for the application?

Does the current Performance model still have the "stepped" center hub that limits which wheel correctly mounts to the hub?
tesla-model-3-hub-with-step-different-bore-ring-1024x1365.jpg