Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going crazy about Performance brakes? [Tesla using caliper covers on rear brakes of Y performance after supplier switch]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang, this thread really took off...

Just an update since I haven't seen it been discussed after skimming through everyone's post...

I mic'd the rear rotor on my '23 MYP with the Mando caliper/cover and the rotor is the same 20mm thickness as the MYLR per the owners manual specs. As you can see, the Tesla owners manual for my '23 MYP says it should be a 22mm thick rotor so this will be the angle I'm going to take with the TSC trying to get the rear MYP brakes that came on the Y prior to the change.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230118_150843.jpg
    Screenshot_20230118_150843.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: hyp36rmax and tm1v2
Dang, this thread really took off...

Just an update since I haven't seen it been discussed after skimming through everyone's post...

I mic'd the rear rotor on my '23 MYP with the Mando caliper/cover and the rotor is the same 20mm thickness as the MYLR per the owners manual specs. As you can see, the Tesla owners manual for my '23 MYP says it should be a 22mm thick rotor so this will be the angle I'm going to take with the TSC trying to get the rear MYP brakes that came on the Y prior to the change.
Could be of some interest. Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: GoferBroke
That's wild. Like they used to say back in the day, red makes it faster.
Or, in this case, makes new buyers assume they're still getting the performance brakes without taking a closer look.

It is true though, nothing like having a flashy red caliper under the wheel. I used to rattle can my calipers back in the '90s, hell, I think I even sprayed a drum brake red. 😄

well the rotors are a little thicker..but still I'd be upset if I had a P
You would assume so since only the caliper was the announced (albeit quietly) change but this isn't the case. I mic'd my rear rotor and it's 20mm thick, not the 22mm thick rotor that MYPs are shown to have in the service manual.

The rear brakes, caliper and rotor, are MYLR spec with a red caliper/caliper cover to disguise it.

Tesla, tell us you're trying to hide a something without telling us you're trying to hide something.

Imagine that Tesla did significant testing before spec'ing new brake rotors. Maybe these are better, cheaper, more availability, lighter, easier to install, etc. but I have seen no proof that they are less effective. Most all racers will upgrade stock brakes for higher performance ones, but for the 99%, these new brakes should provide solid performance on the street.
Not sure why some will rejoice in playing "gotcha" reporting, but there are many that seem to get happiness about reporting the shortcomings of Tesla products.

Tesla has the competitive advantage of offering regenerative braking vs. ICE offerings. For the average buyer, they will be good enough. For the enthusiast they will never be good enough.

As others have stated, the latest editions are being offered at up to $13,000 discounts over last years production. Some would be more excited about this than the brand name on the caliper.

Imagine that Tesla did significant testing before spec'ing new brake rotors. Maybe these are better, cheaper, more availability, lighter, easier to install, etc. but I have seen no proof that they are less effective. Most all racers will upgrade stock brakes for higher performance ones, but for the 99%, these new brakes should provide solid performance on the street.
Not sure why some will rejoice in playing "gotcha" reporting, but there are many that seem to get happiness about reporting the shortcomings of Tesla products.

Tesla has the competitive advantage of offering regenerative braking vs. ICE offerings. For the average buyer, they will be good enough. For the enthusiast they will never be good enough.

As others have stated, the latest editions are being offered at up to $13,000 discounts over last years production. Some would be more excited about this than the brand name on the caliper.
Imagine Tesla testing... marketing and selling FSD when it's not fully baked, removal of uss but still advertising non working EA features. Tesla will cut corners if they think they can get a way with it.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
The mando calipers are better than the Brembos IMO. They are aluminum, lighter, and easier to service with less drag. I have an M3P on order and would prefer the Mandos. The Brembo rears are just single piston sliding calipers designed to look like fixed ones, and are inherently already a dummy caliper, just with all the downsides of a fixed caliper (like retracting pistons is harder without the nice window). MS/MX refreshes have had the mandos with caliper covers for a while.