Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going crazy about Performance brakes? [Tesla using caliper covers on rear brakes of Y performance after supplier switch]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mando calipers are better than the Brembos IMO. They are aluminum, lighter, and easier to service with less drag. I have an M3P on order and would prefer the Mandos. The Brembo rears are just single piston sliding calipers designed to look like fixed ones, and are inherently already a dummy caliper, just with all the downsides of a fixed caliper (like retracting pistons is harder without the nice window). MS/MX refreshes have had the mandos with caliper covers for a while.
And to add, it’s not like Mando is some fly-by-night operation. I have full confidence in their products until proven otherwise.

Reactions: freed0m
Just

So - I just realized that too.
I am disgusted ith myself not knowing it, and feel duped as well

My M3P appears to have performance brakes all around - am i wrong here too?
The "Performance Brake" on the previous model year MYPs aren't that different from the "fake" brakes now... it's still a sliding/floating brake caliper, like most OEM disc brakes. It's just, instead of looking like a "C" (or "U") shape, it's a full flat face.

Maybe if it were multi-pot (the front are 4 pot fixed caliper, rear is single pot floating caliper), then it might make a decent difference. Edit: assuming they haven’t locked up the wheel during braking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Konicom04
The "Performance Brake" on the previous model year MYPs aren't that different from the "fake" brakes now... it's still a sliding/floating brake caliper, like most OEM disc brakes. It's just, instead of looking like a "C" (or "U") shape, it's a full flat face.

Maybe if it were multi-pot (the front are 4 pot fixed caliper, rear is single pot floating caliper), then it might make a decent difference.

I understand that , and agree that the performance level of Brembo vs fake is most likely similar especially since those are rears,
Still - not cool if we paid for brembo, and did not get them

I understand that , and agree that the performance level of Brembo vs fake is most likely similar especially since those are rears,
Still - not cool if we paid for brembo, and did not get them
Hum… not really sure I agree on that one. Sure, I get it, Brembo is a big name brake company.

But for me, I’d rather think I paid for actual performance and not just a brand name.

Maybe if it were multi-pot (the front are 4 pot fixed caliper, rear is single pot floating caliper), then it might make a decent difference.
Did the original MYP have the two-piece disc, too? If so, that's another part of the performance package that we're not getting.

Hum… not really sure I agree on that one. Sure, I get it, Brembo is a big name brake company.

But for me, I’d rather think I paid for actual performance and not just a brand name.

None of this is "really" performance, but rather a bragging rights feature.
90% of users won't even need the real potential of performance brakes. The 10% that do - mod it anyway as this isn't nearly sufficient for performance track driving

None of this is "really" performance, but rather a bragging rights feature.
90% of users won't even need the real potential of performance brakes. The 10% that do - mod it anyway as this isn't nearly sufficient for performance track driving
I've only ever been on the track once, some 12 years ago. So, most of my driving is just "spirited" on the road. I replaced the OEM front brakes on my 2010 Honda Fit with some 4-pot Wilwood brakes and thankful I had it in a few instances where I know the OEM brakes wouldn't suffice. One time to avoid getting T-boned and a few times to avoid running over bicyclists that decided to blow red light/stop signs. Heck, even just regular braking to a stop coming off the highway exit was different.

But, on the flip side, going to anything "bigger" on the MYP is probably more than I need (6-pot front, 4-pot rear and proportioning valve in between?).

So, I guess I do fall into the "mod it if needed" group.

I've only ever been on the track once, some 12 years ago. So, most of my driving is just "spirited" on the road. I replaced the OEM front brakes on my 2010 Honda Fit with some 4-pot Wilwood brakes and thankful I had it in a few instances where I know the OEM brakes wouldn't suffice. One time to avoid getting T-boned and a few times to avoid running over bicyclists that decided to blow red light/stop signs. Heck, even just regular braking to a stop coming off the highway exit was different.

But, on the flip side, going to anything "bigger" on the MYP is probably more than I need (6-pot front, 4-pot rear and proportioning valve in between?).

So, I guess I do fall into the "mod it if needed" group.
In the case of 'panic braking' the wilwoods make zero difference. Tires are the limiting factor. Larger brake systems do not shorten brake distance for one off panic stops, they reduce brake fade for heavy usage, like on track. They might feel different but with any modern-ish system, like on the Fit, you just have to push hard and let ABS/EBD do its work. The brakes might feel different but assuming you are using them properly, there shouldn't be any difference at all in terms of theoretical stopping distance.

In the case of 'panic braking' the wilwoods make zero difference. Tires are the limiting factor. Larger brake systems do not shorten brake distance for one off panic stops, they reduce brake fade for heavy usage, like on track. They might feel different but with any modern-ish system, like on the Fit, you just have to push hard and let ABS/EBD do its work. The brakes might feel different but assuming you are using them properly, there shouldn't be any difference at all in terms of theoretical stopping distance.
Well, you can say that.

But I've felt the OE brakes "slip" ever so slightly a few times, as if they've faded.

You're free to take that however you want.

edit: you also don’t want ABS to take over, as it actually extends braking distance when compared to just before wheels lock up in the first place. The better benefit of ABS is directional control if needed.

Last edited:
Well, you can say that.

But I've felt the OE brakes "slip" ever so slightly a few times, as if they've faded.

edit: you also don’t want ABS to take over, as it actually extends braking distance when compared to just before wheels lock up in the first place. The better benefit of ABS is directional control if needed.

Confidence in the braking system is a thing, and this could be directly related to how the brakes feel. I drove my M3P for about 3.5 years with MPP rotors, and a street/track pad. Let me tell you, whether or not it only "felt different" during daily driving, I had a much better experience using the upgraded brakes during this regular driving than with the stock system. Right before I sold the car, I swapped back to the stock rotors and pads and it was a scary feeling to feel like I couldn't trust the brakes.
Now that I'm in a new MYP, the mushy brake feel is present again, and not confidence inspiring. As much as I wanted to keep the suspension and braking stock, I may just have to upgrade the brakes for more confidence and a better feel.

Well, you can say that.

ABS takes over because tires can't handle the grip. @osunick is correct in his statement
Brakes - OEM or not - are only as good as tires are. Performance brakes eliminate brake fade. There is more to it than just calipers and disks though,
Fluid, brake lines are also major factor.

So - Tesla's performance package is indeed for show

Reactions: hyp36rmax