Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going down for maintenance this weekend

wk057

Vendor & Senior Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
Hickory, NC, USA
Looks like the reaction score thing has previous data now. Some quick math and it looks like it's just some basic weights on different reactions.

It really should adjust weights based on a positive to negative ratings ratio. Otherwise it will just loosely correlate with post count for longer term members and be somewhat useless. Trolls will tend to have lower overall scores, but not significantly enough to give a good at-a-glance value to the member's contributions.

Definitely a step in the right direction, and not entirely useless... just means people need to use the post ratings more often on posts to drive the numbers towards a more useful result by rating as much content as possible.

Reactions: oaito and MP3Mike

ohmman

Plaid-ish Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay, CA
It really should adjust weights based on a positive to negative ratings ratio. Otherwise it will just loosely correlate with post count for longer term members and be somewhat useless. Trolls will tend to have lower overall scores, but not significantly enough to give a good at-a-glance value to the member's contributions.
My feeling is that it should be displayed as a function of post volume. People like me with nearly 10k posts will clearly have a lot of positive scores. But if you divide my positive feedback by posts, that may not be quite as good as other new members, and that should be reflected in the score.

Zaxxon

Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2012
Colorado
My feeling is that it should be displayed as a function of post volume. People like me with nearly 10k posts will clearly have a lot of positive scores. But if you divide my positive feedback by posts, that may not be quite as good as other new members, and that should be reflected in the score.

Good idea. Although you deserve a leading score for your Airstream adventure posts alone!

Reactions: ohmman

UnknownSoldier

Unknown Member
Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2017
Earth
I'm getting intermittent formatting errors, and also HTTP 500 the site cannot handle your request errors when trying to reload pages or post.

danny

Administrator
Aug 15, 2006
California
I'm getting intermittent formatting errors, and also HTTP 500 the site cannot handle your request errors when trying to reload pages or post.
Any specific actions you are taking that seems to coincide with this happening? How often does this happen, is it random? Or certain time of day?

danny

Administrator
Aug 15, 2006
California
I have a question for those following this thread. Did any of you use a connected account (Google, Facebook, or Twitter) to login on the old TMC (before the update)? If so, are you still able to login using the associated account? Anyone running into issues with that?

hgmichna

Jun 17, 2020
Germany
In the new design I cannot find the function to show unread (new) messages in watched threads. Does that function still exist?

To be precise, when I log on the next day, I would like to find all new postings in the threads I have elected to watch. In the old design there was the menu choice, new postings in watched threads. When opening one of these threads, the site opened the thread and jumped to the first message that I had not seen yet, i.e. the one after the last posting I had seen the day before.

I'm not good at searching, so I may just have not found it yet.

I thought that most users need that function, because that's exactly what one would look for after entering the next day. I haven't seen any complaints though.

Tiger

Oct 31, 2016
Estonia
Haha, well don't worry, I have :p

@doug also As a complaint, the landing page (at least on web browser; I don't use mobile for internet) now consists mostly of dated news instead. Previously you had the latest news piece on top and top engaging conversations (most likes, laughs, loves, informative, etc.).

Can you change this so that most of the landing page would instead consist of the hottest discussions? You could maybe pick the hottest (most likes, laughs, loves, informative, etc.) posts from each major forum category.

The news goes old so quickly I wouldn't waste more than one news per landing page. It's the posts that gets (and keeps) me engaged, not the "news".

wk057

Vendor & Senior Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
Hickory, NC, USA

Yeah there's some definite room for improvement. I think there's a quality over quantity factor that needs to be taken into account.

I looked around at a few.... problem users.... and their "Reaction scores" are still in the positive thousands. Generally between 1x and 2x their post count.

My own is about the same, despite having a significantly higher positive to negative post ratings ratio. So, investigating further, it's pretty useless as it stands.

@doug @danny - Can I write a useful scoring system for this forum? Free of charge. Shoot me over an email with anonymized stats (think I just need a dump of lines of users by some unique ID with post count, likes, dislikes, and the other ratings) and I'll whip up something useful that is lightweight and ready to go that will give a very good view of users.

It needs to take into account trends, also. Like, if the same people are always giving positive feedback on posts by the particular people, or vice versa, these need to be weighted accordingly. Also, if you have posts that are super disliked, or super liked, but some folks disagree, should be weighted accordingly also.

There's definitely enough data available to give a really good view of the value of contributions here. I scraped a lot of this a few months ago, and it's pretty simple to do.

Unfortunately I feel like there's little interest in doing so (trolls bring clicks).

tonglaji

Feb 24, 2016
cary, nc
I have a bookmark to the S forum and I check frequently. The one complaint, and this exists before the site update, is there are so much room occupied at the top of the forum that's mostly not interesting, or stale. The first section is the sub-forums that I almost never go into, and then the sticky threads of which 4 of 5 are not topical. Can we have an option in our account settings to fold those sections please?

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
FYI, the dots only appear on mobile. I don't see any visual representation on the desktop alerts as to what has been read.

@Krash They appear on desktop for me, but only when the mouse is over the item. So you have to mouse over the alerts to see which have the dot appear and are new.

• Helpful

danny

Administrator
Aug 15, 2006
California
@doug also As a complaint, the landing page (at least on web browser; I don't use mobile for internet) now consists mostly of dated news instead. Previously you had the latest news piece on top and top engaging conversations (most likes, laughs, loves, informative, etc.).

Can you change this so that most of the landing page would instead consist of the hottest discussions? You could maybe pick the hottest (most likes, laughs, loves, informative, etc.) posts from each major forum category.
Yes, we intend to bring in more feeds from the forums. We also intend to shift the content to be more of an overview of forum content, rather than news focused. So we totally agree and will work in that direction.

Yeah there's some definite room for improvement. I think there's a quality over quantity factor that needs to be taken into account.
Yes, we are aware of it not being particularly useful, and will improve it.

I have a bookmark to the S forum and I check frequently. The one complaint, and this exists before the site update, is there are so much room occupied at the top of the forum that's mostly not interesting, or stale. The first section is the sub-forums that I almost never go into, and then the sticky threads of which 4 of 5 are not topical. Can we have an option in our account settings to fold those sections please?
So you can collapse both the Sub-forum section and the Sticky Threads section. Here is a screenshot of where you find this button in the Sub-forum section:

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2021.03.11-13_47_14.png

@danny another change I don't like is that the search results page doesn't let you pick a sort order anymore. (You have to pick it as part of your search criteria.)
This was fixed just now, as we added Threadloom search functionality. You can choose between that or the native search.

@Krash They appear on desktop for me, but only when the mouse is over the item. So you have to mouse over the alerts to see which have the dot appear and are new.
Yeah, I will see about making this not require mouse over, but it's low priority for now.

Krash

Data Technician
Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
I noticed that when I included a link from a follow up post in a thread that the post quotes the first post in that thread even though the link goes to the follow up post. Anyone else sexperience something similar?

For example I selected copy link from the danny post directly above this one and pasted it here...

• Informative

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
@danny the biggest problem left now, that I know of, is that if you post a reply in a thread it takes you to that reply, i.e. the last page in the thread, and marks the whole thing as read even if you had pages of unread posts to go.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC