Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

going everywhere with Model S ? or Having smaller car to go to some "hot" places ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
I'm from France and I will soon get my tesla model S, and now, more and more, I realize that I will be afraid to go everywhere with Model S
For example, I will hesitate to go supermarkets, because parking are not very large, and I will certainly have other cars parking next to mine and their drivers won't care about hiting Model S when they will open their door.

In some cities, if there isn't any place in front of house where I will be invited, I will not be relax to know my car is parked in another street without any security watch, especially if it is in a not very safe neighborhood, some people don't like to see cars they can't afford, and will have pleasure to damage it. I asked invoice proforma to insurances, and in case of damage,
insurance deductible is between 1000 and 2600 euros !!! so for this price, I am asking myself if I should have a second car old and unattractive to go out to places I'am not 100% sure.

I took option "security package" when I ordered car. But i don't know in the case where something happens to the Model S, does security package can send a SMS to my phone immediatly ?

Another point is that in France, a lot of people are not ready to pay as higher to have a Model S, when I try to explain them that it is not as expansive as they think, because of nearly no cost of fuel , and economies done on services etc... They don't want to understand, and many of them are also anti Nuclear and would be able to be anti Tesla too, even if I told them i have on my house, solar pannels able to cover about 11000 miles per year.

Sometimes, do you have to hedge price you paid for Model S, to be peaceful ? I know I have no problem to talk about price with people I know that have a high income level, but with others, I try not to say price....

Thanks for your advices and personal experiences

Waiting Tesla produce my Model S, I put this video on youtube which music is done by myself for fun with a featuring of Spectrum (Say My Name) !!! I wil have the same model S but with 19' wheels !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes, do you have to hedge price you paid for Model S, to be peaceful ? I know I have no problem to talk about price with people I know that have a high income level, but with others, I try not to say price....

One way to talk "price" with people who have a grudge against Tesla for some reason, is to just say "it's costs about as much as" some other luxury car that is fairly common.

If they are anti Tesla, you are not likely to be able to change their mind with details about cost of ownership, etc. If they are genuinely interested int Tesla as an EV, I go into as much detail as they seem to want.

Nicely done video!

Keeping valuables in your car out of sight and parking in a well lit area at night are both things that could help.

As for getting a second car, you may want to wait until after you get your Model S since it might just work perfectly for most situations you encounter every day.

I already had a Nissan Leaf when I got my Model S and I kept the Leaf precisely for those times I do not want to risk my Model S in tight parking lots, valet situations or when I am all sweaty from playing tennis etc.

@djromain

I gave a look to the specs and I understood that the security package is a redundant security system giving you extrasensors and battery. The specs don't mention any SMS service.
Even in Italy it's hard to convince people that the Model S is so good. People think that it's not possible such a car really exixts.

I get newcaritis every time I get a new car (6 years since last one) and then my new baby gets a little ding and I get over it. I still park in wide spots, etc. but We bought the car to enjoy and get away from petrol. It is my commuter car but I still baby it.
I went to a party last night and at least a dozen people had to come out and look at it and everyone agreed it is the right thing to do, even if it costs the same as a Mercedes, Jag, etc. No apologies needed for a Tesla.

In parking lots i tend to choose a spot far away from other cars. I don't mind walking a little bit farther if it avoids being next to a car where I think the other owner won't be careful. Always try to park next to other well maintained cars. Don't park next to a car with a lot of dents.

- - - Updated - - -

Even in Italy it's hard to convince people that the Model S is so good. People think that it's not possible such a car really exixts.

They will believe it when the superchargers start appearing and model S cars are on the road.
when the P85+ is beating Ferraris on the road in Italy, then they will believe.

Another point is that in France, a lot of people are not ready to pay as higher to have a Model S, when I try to explain them that it is not as expansive as they think, because of nearly no cost of fuel , and economies done on services etc... They don't want to understand, and many of them are also anti Nuclear and would be able to be anti Tesla too, even if I told them i have on my house, solar pannels able to cover about 11000 miles per year.

I live here in the midwestern US, 50 miles east of a city, where 90% of cars are either Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler. In fact, insofar as I can see, about 10% of them are the Chevy Traverse SUV. :) As you can imagine, price is one of the first questions that pops up, and I answer it like this -- I say "the up-front cost of the car is expensive, but when you consider the $7,500 tax rebate, the $4,000 Illinois rebate, and that I will save $40,000 over 150,000 miles or so in fuel, the price becomes very comparable to the luxury SUV or luxury car. The upfront cash is an issue, and if you can't stomach that, you can get your taste in 3 years or so when the next, smaller generation of these cars becomes available." I realize the tax credits and rebates don't apply to you, perhaps, but a similar message using other incentives (such as addressing climate change) can perhaps help.

Most people find that to be pretty powerful. There are the occasional political jabs - I still hear the lines spewed by various candidates during the Presidential elections - but I just laugh and shrug (and my ideals tend to resonate more with those candidates on the economy than the other major political party, so I can confidently assure them I'm not who they think when they imagine someone who drives an alternative energy vehicle.

Hello
I'm from France and I will soon get my tesla model S, and now, more and more, I realize that I will be afraid to go everywhere with Model S
For example, I will hesitate to go supermarkets, because parking are not very large, and I will certainly have other cars parking next to mine and their drivers won't care about hiting Model S when they will open their door.

My Model S is now over a year old, but for my 4-day round trip to visit mom in Florida, I chose to drive the Roadster to the airport. It not only has the advantage of being much slimmer in the parking lot (much lower probability of a ding), but the vampire in the Roadster has a stake in its heart compared to the S.

In parking lots i tend to choose a spot far away from other cars. I don't mind walking a little bit farther if it avoids being next to a car where I think the other owner won't be careful. Always try to park next to other well maintained cars. Don't park next to a car with a lot of dents.

This is my New Year's Resolution (first time I've ever made one). I currently make an effort to park as close to my destination as possible, but no more once I get the MS. Figure I could probably use the exercise anyway.

Perhaps you could get a (used) Leaf, Fluence, Zoe or some really fuel-efficient ICE car in a suitable size as a second car until you’ve ironed out where you feel comfortable taking the S. (Or until depreciation along with hopefully more Ss on the French roads and raised awareness about the car and the brand improves things in this respect.)

I wouldn't worry about theft. Vandalism is unlikely,but haters hate without thought or reason. Small dents will happen. I always walk a lot because I park far from other cars. The price of the car is asked but I seldom answer directly. See above similar cars or check out the website or it starts at $60,000. I always say deduct $20,000 for fuel. Is this higher in France?