Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going for a swim.... can you intentionally lock fob and iPhone in car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going for a swim at the beach.... l do not want to take fob or iPhone with me, so can you intentionally lock fob and iPhone in car? And then unlock car with waterproof Apple Watch when back at car and watch can sense iPhone?

Has anyone tried this??

If you leave the fob in the car, anyone can push on a handle, get in and drive away, so not a good idea.
Leave the fob at home and use the phone app to authorise the drive.
I don't own an Apple watch, but I imagine that you can leave the phone in the car and use the third party Remote S app from the watch to unlock the car when you return, but I would test this thoroughly before relying on it.
Hopefully others will have more experience.

How about:
  1. Take battery out of fob
  2. Leave fob, battery, and phone in car
  3. Swim
  4. Return to car and talk to phone via watch to unlock car. (I'm not an Apple Watch person. I'm inferring from the OP's post that this is possible.)
  5. Open car, replace battery in fob
  6. Drive away

How about:
  3. Swim
  4. Return to car and talk to phone via watch to unlock car. (I'm not an Apple Watch person. I'm inferring from the OP's post that this is possible.)
  6. Drive away

...but for very sure, test out the scenario at home, presumably using Remote S on your Watch. Make sure that the Watch can in fact talk to your phone (not inside a shielded area). Also have plan B with someone else (partner/spouse) with Tesla app who you could call in case of emergency (...borrowing someone else's phone as yours is locked inside car).

I have inadvertently locked both fob and iphone in my car. I placed both in the glove box and went for a run thinking when I got back the car would unlock by touching the handles...it did not.

My solution was to borrow an iphone from someone, downloaded the Tesla App on his phone, input my credentials, unlocked my car and then deleted the app from his phone.

I like the idea of using the watch much better - but I don't wear a watch.

Reactions: wesley888
How about:
  3. Swim
  6. Drive away
Fob will still function with battery removed.
Wrap fob in two layers of foil forming a Faraday cage works.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Why not put the fob in a plasfic bag, wrap, it in good and hide it under a rock?

Australia has 30,000kms of pure white sandy beaches, no rocks, we only have one rock and it's too heavy and too far from the beach to be any use!.

I can lock/unlock my Tesla using Google Assistant via IFTTT, so this could easily be made to work with an Android + Android watch combo quite simply using the IFTTT "Do" app which gives you buttons on the watch to perform actions. I'm guessing you could also put the key into any kind of Faraday cage (wrap it in tin foil? ;)) if you didn't want to remove the battery while it was locked in the car. Maybe IFTTT also supports iOS? I have no idea.

See GitHub - scottweston/ifttt-tesla for details on how to run an IFTTT gateway to the Tesla owners api.

edit: The "Do" app is now just called "IFTTT", it used to be a separate app but got integrated into the main app recently.

Last edited:
Any method that relies on a cellphone is a risk unless you test the phone and the car's reception for wireless signals at the site where you park for your swim, before you leaver the car. You or the car might be too far from an appropriate cell tower, or there could be interference.

Reactions: ig_epower
Any method that relies on a cellphone is a risk unless you test the phone and the car's reception for wireless signals at the site where you park for your swim, before you leaver the car. You or the car might be too far from an appropriate cell tower, or there could be interference.
and just because one works, that's no guarantee the other will.

Reactions: David29
I can't help but get a chuckle out of this since Ford has had a feature for this very scenario since the mid '80s. Granted, a much less sophisticated and analog solution, but a solution nonetheless. That keypad on the doors. The early versions looked kind of clunky and tacked-on, but on my wife's '13 Escape (Kuga), they're "virtual" buttons hidden in the B-pillar doorframe that illuminate when you approach the car.

A cool modern-day interpretation of this feature would be a fingerprint sensor on the door handle (similar to newer iPhones).