Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going for a swim.... can you intentionally lock fob and iPhone in car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might be in trouble if the watch doesn't pair up with your phone. I don't exactly trust this - at least with my Android wear watch.

YMMV but my Huawei watch has never had any issues keeping paired, even when I leave my phone inside and take the dog out it happily switches over to wifi and continues to stay in sync. I use the watch to open the garage and unlock the Tesla when I just want get something out of it quickly and don't have the keys on me (e.g. for the many times I leave my sunnies in there)

YMMV but my Huawei watch has never had any issues keeping paired, even when I leave my phone inside and take the dog out it happily switches over to wifi and continues to stay in sync. I use the watch to open the garage and unlock the Tesla when I just want get something out of it quickly and don't have the keys on me (e.g. for the many times I leave my sunnies in there)

I have a Huawei watch too. Sometimes I find if I walk away from my phone and come back it doesn't pair back immediately.

How do you unlock the car with a Huawei watch? Not been able to find anything, maybe requires a 3rd party app???

I have a Huawei watch too. Sometimes I find if I walk away from my phone and come back it doesn't pair back immediately.

Perhaps it's more to do with the phone? I'm currently using a Pixel phone and before than a Sony Z3C - both of them paired with the watch with no issues.

How do you unlock the car with a Huawei watch? Not been able to find anything, maybe requires a 3rd party app???

I use the IFTTT app and a little service I wrote that runs on any internet connected server (e.g. Digital Ocean droplet, AWS EC2, Google Cloud or even a RaspberryPi on a home internet connection, etc.). The source code and how to set it up is available here:

GitHub - scottweston/ifttt-tesla

Initially I wrote it so I can have Google Assistant do actions on my Tesla (
shows a beta version, it's now considerably quicker with the new version published to github) but of course once that service is running you can easily hook it into any IFTTT applet. To get it on my watch I create a "Button" applet instead of a "Google Assistant" applet like is explained on Github. Quick demo using the watch:

(video only just uploaded so HD quality might still be processing :))

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Perhaps it's more to do with the phone? I'm currently using a Pixel phone and before than a Sony Z3C - both of them paired with the watch with no issues.

I have a Pixel phone too... Most of the time it is OK, however sometimes it remains unconnected for long periods of time with no obvious reason (e.g. the phone and watch are with me the entire time). So I wouldn't trust the connection as my only means of being able to unlock my car.

I have a Pixel phone too... Most of the time it is OK, however sometimes it remains unconnected for long periods of time with no obvious reason (e.g. the phone and watch are with me the entire time). So I wouldn't trust the connection as my only means of being able to unlock my car.
The iPhone and Apple watch maintain a reliable connection when in close proximity. I would trust it to work IF the watch can be used to unlock the door while the iPhone is in the car.

Some snot nosed kid will probably run off with it. :D
On a similar thought (and assuming the watch doesn't work for some reason), depending on the beach and how many cars are there, could you put an old type car key on the Tesla keyring and make the Tesla key look like it is the key chain tag and the old key look like it is the working key? Maybe a 1980s type metal key or similar - the local Sunday market has a guy who sells old keys and key chains sometimes). Unless a thief has watched you from the car or until more people know how the Tesla keys work, odds are they will think all that is on offer is an old car that just isn't worth the risk. Time to hit the next towel instead!

Any update on testing? Did you get it to work?

You may be interested in checking the key dead zone location mentioned at 2:00 in this video, I guess S is similar

You may want to check for radio signal outside the car as a radio repeater/rebroadcast maybe able to access the car. Safer to wrap key in foil or tin box as mentioned above, or you could let me know the beach and I can test for you ;-)

I am now wondering if anyone is scanning cars at the beach to see if phones have been left inside???

My guess is they will enable face recognition using the side pillar mounted AP2 cameras and make this irrelevant at some stage. This would be useful for Tesla Network so the car only opens for the relevant people unless they rely on a phone unlock method.