TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Going for Every Mile

Discussion in 'Texas' started by gillben, Mar 9, 2015.

1. gillben

gillben Member

I have a P85D and have a question about range. If you are trying to squeeze the absolutely longest range out of the car what is the optimum Interstate speed to drive.

2. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Look at JB's post Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors and the related, earlier post Model S Efficiency and Range | Tesla Motors - so somewhere around 22mph seems to get you the best range - yet I hope you are not planning to drive 22mph on an interstate... actually, even going 40mph is rather dangerous

graph1.jpg
    driving-range-for-the-model-s-family-chart1.png

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Bear in mind that steady power is more important than steady speed. It's okay to lose a bit of speed going uphill and gain a bit going downhill.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

This has been a huge topic on these pages. Search for the 2015 record setting trip across the country. Sorry can't remember the exact name and I if leave this page, I'll never find you again. There are lots of super smart guys determining what the best speed to charging ratios are. I'll look for the tread and send it to you.

5. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

For quick reference I am finding that in moderate weather on flat ground with no wind I can get the "Rated Range" at 65 MPH.

6. BerTX

BerTX Member

I don't think the OP is trying to get between Superchargers. I read it as traveling on an Interstate without Superchargers, how fast should they drive to get the farthest on a charge.

In Texas, not all of our Interstates and sideroads and driveways and dirt paths are equipped with Superchargers like they are there in CA.

But we're a patient bunch.