Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going for it - new Solar Roof install scheduled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I

I don't think I'll have the same delays. Had 2 PW2 installed November 2017 and have been using TOU to fill them at night and use during day. I toyed with the idea of putting in a 3rd PW but decided against it before the signed agreement in March 2019. I'm getting some hopefuly emails from my project director that we're awaiting LA gov't approval of ou project proposal and then they will give a timetable on installation. I'm still hopeful for installation to start before 12/31/19 but time is ticking!
Anyone have installation dates coming up? I'd like to know how backed up they are or where the bottleneck on getting these installed is. My understanding of the 30% ITC is it just has to be started by 12/31/19.......Anyone with furtherknowledge, please chime in.
I am in Torrance, CA with SCE. My permit request was sent to City of Torrance by Tesla on Sept 05 and Tesla was told Sept 26 is when it is expected back. I started this on August 06. We went through a couple design changes before final and the request for permit.

I am not sure about the Tax Credit. You may want to talk to your accountant. I think I heard some contradictions but I really do not know. I just hope mine is done this year so I do not have to worry about it. I would think when you pay for but really not sure. Let me know if you find out for sure. I just feel nothing I can do about it right now.

OK, I'm in Aliso Viejo so good to know a project in Torrance is moving along. I signed docs in March and was hoping they'd have approval by now. My town (AV) is pretty annoying on all things approval: repiping, minor construction, electric, they are sticklers. So, this time is no differernt. It sounds like they are going with whatever get approved for the LA projects so if yours is approved I'm hoping mine will be soon. I'm with SCE as well.

For taxes it looks like the physical test will be done if they at least start by 12/31. I'm hoping I could even may a little but more (up to the 5%) to satisfy that part of the claim if physical test is not met. Thanks for the ITC info power.saver. Any other LA/OC projects out there in any stages?

I'm looking to do a comprehensive ROI and the best model I have from Colorado state figures about 14 years (obviously all uses andsizesystems are different).

See here for a detailed description of what is required. Generally, starting construction before 1/1/2020 is necessary.
I read the article in your link, and it seems to confirm that residential systems cannot get the 30% tax credit unless the system is already placed into service by 12/31/2019. From the link: "However, it is important to note that the change to a beginning of construction standard was not made to the section 25D residential credit, so individual taxpayers claiming the residential solar ITC must still have their projects placed in service before they can claim the credit."

I am in Torrance, CA with SCE. My permit request was sent to City of Torrance by Tesla on Sept 05 and Tesla was told Sept 26 is when it is expected back. I started this on August 06. We went through a couple design changes before final and the request for permit.

I am not sure about the Tax Credit. You may want to talk to your accountant. I think I heard some contradictions but I really do not know. I just hope mine is done this year so I do not have to worry about it. I would think when you pay for but really not sure. Let me know if you find out for sure. I just feel nothing I can do about it right now.

Any news on your application in Torrace? Haven't heard anything here in South OC. Trying to see how many instlall teams they have deployed to this area.

Any news on your application in Torrace? Haven't heard anything here in South OC. Trying to see how many instlall teams they have deployed to this area.
I got Torrance City Permit approval around 09/24. Had to wait another day for approval for my City Permit for the Wall Chargers to be installed with the install of my Solar/Power Wall. Friday 09/27/19 they Tesla scheduled my install for Oct. 21st and 22nd. They said could take 1 day but scheduling 2 days.

I got Torrance City Permit approval around 09/24. Had to wait another day for approval for my City Permit for the Wall Chargers to be installed with the install of my Solar/Power Wall. Friday 09/27/19 they Tesla scheduled my install for Oct. 21st and 22nd. They said could take 1 day but scheduling 2 days.

Are you partway through solar roof or panels? Or just starting. I heard the total process takes about 2 weeks for solar roof.

Are you partway through solar roof or panels? Or just starting. I heard the total process takes about 2 weeks for solar roof.
I am Solar Panels and was answering a question for another person on "permitting" in my area. My install date as I said is scheduled for Oct. 21 and 22. They expect 2 days to install 39 Panels and 2 Power Walls and 2 Wall Chargers (in load balance).

I am Solar Panels and was answering a question for another person on "permitting" in my area. My install date as I said is scheduled for Oct. 21 and 22. They expect 2 days to install 39 Panels and 2 Power Walls and 2 Wall Chargers (in load balance).

Are you going to backup your wall chargers? I just went through that exact install but I broke it up into two parts(39 SC330 for 12.87 on a 11.4 SE HD). Tesla will put in a non backed up load box for you for free if you have something you didn't want to backup. I figured I could always plug my car in a regular outlet and slow charge but I didn't want my car to potentially drain my 2x PW2's overnight if we lose power. The entire house is backed up expect for my charger.

Are you going to backup your wall chargers? I just went through that exact install but I broke it up into two parts(39 SC330 for 12.87 on a 11.4 SE HD). Tesla will put in a non backed up load box for you for free if you have something you didn't want to backup. I figured I could always plug my car in a regular outlet and slow charge but I didn't want my car to potentially drain my 2x PW2's overnight if we lose power. The entire house is backed up expect for my charger.
I am actually confused about that. First I agree with you that I would not want my wall chargers to be used in a power failure. But I do want the option to charge my cars from the Power Walls if I want during normal operations. Also, similar consideration for the AC. I think I would not want the AC to be used in a power failure. But if the power failure was during the day time with solar running then sure AC is good.

I think my confusion is what is meant by "backed up load box". I.E. does it only kick in when there is a power failure and all other times it is not used? Maybe that is what the word "backup up" means.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I am actually confused about that. First I agree with you that I would not want my wall chargers to be used in a power failure. But I do want the option to charge my cars from the Power Walls if I want during normal operations. Also, similar consideration for the AC. I think I would not want the AC to be used in a power failure. But if the power failure was during the day time with solar running then sure AC is good.

I think my confusion is what is meant by "backed up load box". I.E. does it only kick in when there is a power failure and all other times it is not used? Maybe that is what the word "backup up" means.

My setup will draw from the powerwalls & grid when the power is on. But if the power goes out it knocks off my car chargers. I still have the ability to car my cars using a regular plug slowly but my not using the Tesla chargers

I did this more so to future proof. If they were willing to give me the non backed up loads panel for free then its worth having. I can always take the breakers from a non backed up load and relocate them back in the main panel fairly quickly.
You are lucky if they are the same type of panel and can accept the same breakers. My Generation Panel (the new one installed with the Powerwalls) is a GE panel and my original main panel is a SquareD and is not backed up. My big loads that are not backed up remained in the main panel. The breakers are different.

If there was an extended outage and I wanted to get 240V power from the backup side, I would have to get a GE breaker and run the wire back into the main panel. Once there, I would have to disconnect the load wires from the existing breaker that go to one of the 240V outlets in my garage and use suitable connectors (probably not wire nuts) to join the old and new wires.