Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 2017 Model S to 2022 M3P, any downsides?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I'm currently considering selling my 2017 S75D, out of warranty, for a brand new 2022 M3P (available supposedly between June and August), for at least a year until my next car arrives.

I know the model 3 is smaller and not hatchback like the S, but it will be considerably faster than my current car, have longer range, and charge faster not to mention the fun factor.

But what about the downsides. I wonder mostly about ride quality and noise level.

In a recent review of a 2022 M3P, Kyle from Out of spec channel mentioned that the ride was much softer than before on the new M3P, and sound insulation had improved considerably. But how does it compare to a pre-2018 model S? Anybody has experience with both cars?

mentioned that the ride was much softer than before on the new M3P, and sound insulation had improved considerably.
Even the non-Performance Model 3 suspension is a bit hard for my old bones, but then again my entire lumbar spine is fused, as well as three levels in my neck. So yeah, I do prefer a softer ride. My wife doesn't have any spine issues, and she still considers the ride to be pretty harsh. Considering her ride is a 2005 Toyota Sequoia, that kinda says something. ;)

Since ride quality is highly subjective, I agree with the recommendation to test drive it first.

I never really considered my 2019 Model 3 to be particularly noisy, but after riding in a 2021 the difference is quite noticeable.

Even the non-Performance Model 3 suspension is a bit hard for my old bones, but then again my entire lumbar spine is fused, as well as three levels in my neck. So yeah, I do prefer a softer ride. My wife doesn't have any spine issues, and she still considers the ride to be pretty harsh. Considering her ride is a 2005 Toyota Sequoia, that kinda says something. ;)

Since ride quality is highly subjective, I agree with the recommendation to test drive it first.

I never really considered my 2019 Model 3 to be particularly noisy, but after riding in a 2021 the difference is quite noticeable.

The noise difference between my 2018 Model 3 P and my wifes 2022 Model Y P is actually pretty stark, when driven close to each other. Dont get me wrong, I like my 2018 Model 3P for what it is, and that hasnt changed, but it is noticeably noisier on the inside than any of the BMWs I had that it replaced. I deal with it, even though I dont love it, because still love the total package of the car.

I just turn up the stereo on my model 3 more to drown out the sound of wind noise, etc. In my wifes 2022 Model Y however, its pretty darn close to the X3 that it replaced. Not exactly, but quite a bit different (almost enough to get me to order a 2022 model 3P). The price increases have kept me from ordering a new model 3, but yeah I think the new vehicles are much better in the "noise" department.

I dont think I would ever own a model S though, the vehicles are so different. Just like I would have never owned a BMW 7 series (much too large of a vehicle for me), I consider the model S the same way. Its my opinion that people tend to have a preference for vehicle size, but sometimes other things get in the way of that.

Meaning, perhaps someone prefers 2 door sports cars, but cant have one because they now have a wife and 2 kids, and dont have the finances / space to have a weekend ride along with their family vehicle, that kind of thing.

I think the OP will know in a test drive whether they can "deal with" the smaller size of the model 3 vs the S as long with the likelyhood that it may be noisier than their model S (but perhaps not, given we are talking about an older S vs a new 3).

Test driving an S told me pretty clearly I didnt want one (I havent driven a plaid S, cant afford it). I never liked BMW 5 series for myself (too big) although my wife had one and loved it. Neither of us liked 7 series, and model S feels like that size to me.

Gotta drive it to see, but driving it will make it clear pretty quickly to the OP, I think.

Reactions: Mash
Friend has a P90D, his car rides so much smoother than my 2021 3SR. The 3SR is comfortable enough on most roads, but in So Cal there are these concrete slabs for freeway and at certain speeds with the resonance just right, it can feel annoyingly bumpy.

You need to test drive to see what it's like on the roads you drive on. Overall I'd give the ride of the P90D a 9/10 and the 3SR with 18" wheels a 6.5/10. The 3 does respond to steering way better than the S however, it feels more nimble and fun, turn-in response is darn near immediate while the S definitely feels a bit ponderous.

I’ve owned a lot of cars over the decades. Never cared for “floaty,” or “soft” suspensions. Heck, I have my 2- in. tires pumped up to 50 psi. To each his own, but the Model S is way too much of everything I don’t like in cars for me to even consider, even if prices were the same. Great to have the choices we do, so we can each have what we want.

I first had a Model S before my M3P. I actually prefer the size of Model 3 although I do think Model S looks better. Also I didn't have the air suspension on the Model S but it still felt like a boat. The M3P definitely feels much more nimble and tight, which for me is a good thing. Maybe not if you like soft floaty suspensions...

Reactions: XPsionic
One difference you might notice if you're on the highway with Autopilot a lot is that the new M3P will not have radar-assisted AP. It's going to be Vision-only.

Lack of radar on newer models causes a severe uptick in phantom braking, and you'll notice this especially because you're used to a radar-based system.

I have a 2018 Model 3 with radar and when I opted into the FSD beta, I lost the use of radar (FSD beta is vision only, like newer cars without radar). The phantom braking on undivided highways was insane. Every few minutes in the day and nearly constantly at night if any cars approached. It's gotten better, but some FSD beta releases are worse than others.

Tesla should not have gotten rid of the radar and went to vision-only, their software was not ready for it.