Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 2017 Model S to 2022 M3P, any downsides?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve owned Ms from 2016 to 2021…prior to refresh. 90D ,P100D, 100D.

While I miss the look of the S, my 22’ M3 LR with boost is the better driver. Susp is just fine, quieter than most think and superb handling.

I don’t miss the S at all to be honest other than auto door handles which I got installed on my 3 am :)

S for me was the touring car and the 3 is sport.
We have a MYP now for the hatchback, towing bikes and generally larger space and for kids soccer.

0D697F25-C513-4A0C-A84E-9ED486C4A4AD.jpeg

Reactions: tm1v2 and Bouba
As others have mentioned, 3 suspension is not as compliant as S. Obviously, this is a subjective thing--to my mind, the 3 rides fine on smooth roads (what car doesn't?), but can't handle rough roads worth a damn. There are aftermarket options to improve this if it bothers you.

In terms of noise, road and wind noise is pretty up there at highway speeds. My 2010 Lexus LX570 (V8 SUV on 35" tires) is probably quieter on the highway. But the stereo is phenomenal. You wont notice if you have the stereo on. My 3 is a 2019 with relatively high miles and has a good amount of rattles. Many others don't have this problem, but that's my experience.

You might also find adjusting to the one main screen a bit of a challenge, but you get used to it pretty quick. I personally think it's idiotic that you need to use a touchscreen menu to open your glovebox (just one example), but it is what it is.

Great overall car with some minor (but annoying) shortcomings.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, 3 suspension is not as compliant as S. Obviously, this is a subjective thing--to my mind, the 3 rides fine on smooth roads (what car doesn't?), but can't handle rough roads worth a damn. There are aftermarket options to improve this if it bothers you.

In terms of noise, road and wind noise is pretty up there at highway speeds. My 2010 Lexus LX570 (V8 SUV on 35" tires) is probably quieter on the highway. But the stereo is phenomenal. You wont notice if you have the stereo on. My 3 is a 2019 with relatively high miles and has a good amount of rattles. Many others don't have this problem, but that's my experience.

You might also find adjusting to the one main screen a bit of a challenge, but you get used to it pretty quick. I personally think it's idiotic that you need to use a touchscreen menu to open your glovebox (just one example), but it is what it is.

Great overall car with some minor (but annoying) shortcomings.
I have a M3LR and I find that the central consul is so deep and roomy that I almost never need to open the glovebox

Reactions: Destiny1701
Hello.

I'm currently considering selling my 2017 S75D, out of warranty, for a brand new 2022 M3P (available supposedly between June and August), for at least a year until my next car arrives.

I know the model 3 is smaller and not hatchback like the S, but it will be considerably faster than my current car, have longer range, and charge faster not to mention the fun factor.

But what about the downsides. I wonder mostly about ride quality and noise level.

In a recent review of a 2022 M3P, Kyle from Out of spec channel mentioned that the ride was much softer than before on the new M3P, and sound insulation had improved considerably. But how does it compare to a pre-2018 model S? Anybody has experience with both cars?
The model 3 is a blast to drive I love zipping around in my performance 3 but the 3 and Y feel very cheap when compared to the X and S. My legacy X and plaid X both feel like luxury vehicles where as my performance 3 feels like a fun little go cart that I love to drive however just feels cheap.. if your looking for a fun car and don’t car so much about the luxury and high end feel you will be happy with the swap.

Reactions: tm1v2