Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 2018 M3 Dual Motor to 2020 M3P - thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently driving a 2018 M3 Dual Motor, with modified suspension - UP coilovers.

Thinking of taking advantage of Tesla trade-in offer to upgrade to a 2020 M3 Performance.

When I first got my my 2018 M3 - The biggest problem I had was the handling was awful - way to soft/mushy and the 5 inch wheel gap was horrendous.
Changing lanes on highway at 80 mph, felt a bit too fast on stock suspension.
So, I got UP coilovers. Game changer. Now, my 2018 handles amazing.

Fast forward to today: How will the 2020 M3 P handle? Has Tesla tweaked the suspension on the Performance to be more 'sporty' or can I expect more of the "mushy" stuff?

To those of you who have upgraded from a M3 LR to a M3P, what are your thoughts?

I've been a P owner from the start but I can tell you that you are going to get that mushy feeling again. But the only reason to get the P is if you use it for some sort of motorsport or you absolutely love bombing around in the snow. I do both.

FB_IMG_1620220733891.jpg

So if you strictly want the firmer ride save the dough with a LR and buy coilovers for it, again.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
I owned a 2018 LR AWD. Modified it by removing the stock suspension and installed a 2018 performance model 3 suspension (struts and springs). The car was lowered by 10mm, and the handling was mildly better. I then sold that car, and bought a 2018 Performance Model 3. Soon thereafter I bought coilovers and havent looked back. There is no comparison between the stock performance suspension and coilovers.

Question is why you want to upgrade. If you track the car, the Performance model is worth it. If you don't, just get AB and enjoy your current ride as it has a better suspension than the stock Performance model.
1. I'm getting a really good trade-in price after having the car for 3 years. Main reason, I suppose. My payments would be substantially lower on the new car.
My car is 2018. I can get 2021 model for a much lower monthly.

2. My car is a 2018 - I imagine 2021 has better hardware for AP and option to do FSD. My current 2018 does not have FSD computer I believe.

3. Smoother Ride - the handling is amazing with the coilovers, but the ride for passengers is not so great. I'm hoping 2021 M3P may appease both driver and passengers?

1. I'm getting a really good trade-in price after having the car for 3 years. Main reason, I suppose. My payments would be substantially lower on the new car.

2. My car is a 2018 - I imagine 2021 has better hardware for AP and option to do FSD. My current 2018 does not have FSD computer I believe.

3. Smoother Ride - the handling is amazing with the coilovers, but the ride for passengers is not so great. I'm hoping 2021 M3P may appease both driver and passengers?
Sounds like you have good reasons then. Good luck on the purchase.

Go for it. I can't speak to the suspension but I just sold my 48k mile 2018 AWD+ for a phenomenal price. Who knows how long these insane resale values will be around for. It's costing peanuts a month for me to move to a brand new 2021 P with all the very many small improvements over the 2018. Also, that new battery pack is larger. We'll see if they up the performance once they get enough data on the 2170L batteries in the field. When and if the used car market tanks, my 2021 P with 20k miles will be worth much more than my 2018 AWD with 68k miles!

Just do it :)

Reactions: OUengineer

If you buy FSD they upgrade the computer in the 2018 for free FYI. Also AFAIK if you lease it's 3 years and that's it- no option to buy at the end.

Can’t speak to your exact situation but my 2021 M3P’s stock suspension rides quite smooth while still retaining a nice firmness in everyday driving. Would agree though when you start pushing it in the corners, it starts to feel a bit squishy. I’d also agree that spirited lane changes at freeway speeds can be a bit ‘jumpy’ which is disconcerting to me. One of my previous cars was a 2011 Subaru STi hatch and the opposites were true compared to the Tesla. Stiff and unforgiving in daily driving but firm and competent in the corners.

I have an 18 lr. Upgraded my suspension with all mpp stuff and will be doing ghost in the next couple months. I want a new P but it's just not worth it for how much I've already thrown into my current car, plus a new one will likely handle worse with stock components vs aftermarket.

There is an alternative to coilovers (if you don't want to hardcore race); variable rate springs and thicker swaybars. This has improved my handling 10-fold in the corners but still rides nice for daily driving. I have coilovers on my 300zx and even at the lowest setting, it is not a good commute car unless you like to feel every crack in the road!

2020 M3P. Thought handling/ride was comparable tho different (more weight but less roll; annoying electronic nannies when doing quick maneuvers unless in track mode) to my E92 M3 and E82 1M. Upgraded to Mountain Pass Performance (custom tuned KW coilovers) and 18" wheels with 265/40 PS4S and all better! For you the OP, would recommend the MPP "comfort" which will still be a big handling improvement over stock Performance rig, but will also be better ride.

Reactions: tm1v2