Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from AS to TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a better way to deactivate AS without canceling TACC?
With the new software update (2017.32.6), I don't like the lane changing feature.I think it is way too aggressive and jerky to the point that my passengers in the car begged me to turn it off during the trip. The problem is every time I turn the AS off to change a lane, it deactivates TACC with it causing deceleration until I either re-activate it or press on the accelerator pedal. There has to be an option to make this transition smoother like pushing the lever once to deactivate AS and twice to deactivate both AS and TACC.

You can do the lane change manually with your hands forcing it to move just like how you'd normally override AS. It will most likely disengage AS but keep TACC active.

Accelerating does not disengage AS, it will only prompt you to hold the wheel.

You can also disable auto lane change altogether in the car setting.

Reactions: vandacca
You can do the lane change manually with your hands forcing it to move just like how you'd normally override AS. It will most likely disengage AS but keep TACC active.

That will not be the smoothness OPs passengers request, though...

Accelerating does not disengage AS, it will only prompt you to hold the wheel.

I seem to recall from our (as in TMC) recent postings that some method other than forcing the steering wheel did disable AS without disabling TACC. Just can't remember what it was...

I've been driving my ICE too much this summer.

Reactions: Sambas
Like exceeding 90mph?

By the way, one does not need to press on the accelerator *after* deactivating TACC - just press on it before deactivating TACC. With practice you can keep the car at around the same speed after deactivation.

The manual seems to say there is no way to turn only Autosteer off.. all the methods for one seem to disconnect both.... interesting....and, yeah, turning both off and then TACC on isn't the smoothest method. This needs a better answer!

Honestly I find turning both off to be the best approach in this case. Hit the throttle first to induce mild acceleration, then disable both, change, re-enable.

Except ironically most of the times I do this, it’s to execute a more aggressive lane change than Autopilot.... I think we need a setting for auto lane change speed.

Reactions: boaterva
So what do you do/what does the car do with AP (AS/TACC) on when you signal a lane change? It won't do it itself and you can't take over, that cancels AS. Not sure what the point is of turning it off.
I just came back from 800 mile road trip. My experience is when I signal lane change it moves to the next lane quickly and surprises everyone in the car including myself. And sometimes it overcorrects itself in the lane and disengages the AS altogether. This happens even when there is no other cars around me. It is not dangerous and I can take over at any time but it is an inconvenience.
There are some other situations when I need to temporarily deactivate AS and keep TACC like when I drive over a poorly marked section of the freeway for example.

This would be a nice feature - to be able to turn off Auto-steer while leaving TACC on. Or... Requiring less force on the steering wheel to disengage autosteer. Granted it's set up this way to avoid people accidentally knocking it our of AS, but during a long road-trip over the weekend, people behind me must have thought I was drunk whenever I tried to pull on the steering wheel to disengage AS then have to immediately turn the wheel quickly the other way to correct... FYI, I'm also finding the auto lane change inconsistent. Sometimes it's nice and smooth, other times, like others noted, it can be quite sudden.

• Informative
I agree - as you get more used to the car, you'll put your foot on the accelerator and have a perfectly smooth transition turning off both AS and TACC with the stalk. I'm much better at this after accidentally doing the 90+ "disable" once. I'm never making that mistake again!