Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from EV back to ICE

Are you ever going to enjoy driving an ICE again?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright I got my new S75 last week, and I’ve been running the wheels off of it. 800+ miles and numerous launches are in the books. I’m really starting to love the autopilot along with the instant torque (I’m on the new updated motor).

Today was the first time going back to drive my truck, 05’ Lifted Ram, and I swear I felt like the thing was either falling apart or the brakes didn’t work.
I take very very good care of my vehicles. My truck has been babied and maintained since I bought it, everything replaced and checked up on, it’s like adopting a dog and spoiling it.

But my point is, my truck is about as good as it gets when it comes to what it is. I also have a Camaro SS that I have yet to drive since I picked up my S75.

Anyway, back to the current situation, the truck is just flat out disappointing! The Tesla just freaking goes! Effortless steering, practically automatic brakes (regen) and it’s so planted on the road.
I can’t believe that it’s that much of a difference. I thought my transmission was slipping because I would give the accelerator a little test and I’m like... wtf. It’s so slow... it used to not be like this??

Just wow. As my daily driver replacement, the Tesla could not be any more insane of an upgrade. I’m kinda nervous it’s gonna make me dislike my baby- Camaro....

Yep I've still got a Range Rover Sport thats been with us since new for 3 years. My wife is using that as her car now as she still isn't sold on the need to charge on long trips she does a lot.

I had a similar experience the first time I got back in. I used to love the Range Rover, still love the interior and comfort over the Tesla, but my word what a dog to drive. Slow and hell you have to be on your toes to remember to use the brakes!

Genuinely hated driving it and do now only when I have to (towing etc).

There is no going back to ICE....

to me cars are tools, certain cars perform jobs better than others, your tesla cannot haul like your pickup but it certainly is far superior to the camaro in the role of getting you from place to place.
until there are a full range of EVs some ice vehicles will still be necessary for some people's needs.

to me cars are tools, certain cars perform jobs better than others, your tesla cannot haul like your pickup but it certainly is far superior to the camaro in the role of getting you from place to place.
until there are a full range of EVs some ice vehicles will still be necessary for some people's needs.

Yeah, prolly so, but... most people can't own 4 or 5 cars just so their "needs" will be met. That's why they have rentals for big trucks.

For me, I can usually figure out how to use my 90D for nearly everything. Long trips? No problem. Lotsa room, lotsa range, lotsa chargers, great ride. Around town? Absolutely. Zip around all those slow folk trying to get up to speed after the light changes. Need a pickup? Just came back from the lumber yard with a few boards. Didn't need the trailer (Of course. Why not put a trailer on a 90D??) How about "needing" a sports car? I don't think I need to spell that one out. How about green, low pollution?

And now, the lower cost option, for those that "need" a cheaper car.

Some cars just do it all, better. There will always be people who think their "other make" car is more -- agile -- or something. I just don't happen to agree. Had a Tesla 5 years. Never going back. AND I HAVE ONLY ONE CAR!

I SO want to be driving our MS over my Avalon all the time. I know the Avalon, which is a really good car that I have loved for years, needs to get driven and unfortunately already had it jumped due to lack of use and older battery (and unfortunately couldn't jump it with our MS like we could with our Camry). OK one disadvantage of our MS. We also got our MS broken into this past week and smarting from the vandalism and $1200 repair bill. Since the perps were caught on our dashcam we saw that they pulled in across from us and directly went to our car. One of our concerns owning a Tesla would be a target for stuff like this. They did move on to a Honda Odyssey after ours so I know they'll hit any car that looks like it could have easy access to the cargo area. Felt good to be back in our car again and almost forgotten event.

OP have you taken your 75 for any mountain trips yet being in TN? Drove our 75D recently down south past San Luis Obisbo and it just seemed to float effortlessly along the road with the 7% grade.

Reactions: selfbp
Honestly, this effect is something I've only experienced when renting ICE cars on business trips. Our ICE car right now is a MK7 VW GTI, and I've recently test driven a 997 Carrera S to replace it. In both cases...neither feels like a massive step down, other than in straight line performance. They feel nearly as tight as my Model S. That says more about them, though.

Reactions: Ulmo
'92 ICE sold last month after less than 5000 mi added since 2011. The 2011 Leaf is for commuting and the 2015 70D for travel. I don't plan on driving a dinosaur again.

• Love
I wrote this back in 2014 when I got into Teslas: "Car market literally down to 2 cars today"

It sure felt like going back to ICE would be impossible at the beginning - and the 0-30 on an ICE certainly makes it feel like it is broken compared to a good BEV. True.

That said, fast-forward three years and another high-performance Tesla later, and I don't dislike ICEs as much anymore. I mean, I believe in the BEV future and find it unlikely that I'd be buying too many ICEs anymore, but it isn't a strict either-or thing either.

Put it this way: I expect my daily drivers to be BEVs going forward. For some fun, recreation and long-distance backup I expect to continue looking at ICE in the foreseeable future.

One issue is that the BEV choice continues to be very limited. For example, try as I might, no part of my Model X roof unfolds and at times that is unfortunate.

Last edited:
  • Love
I SO want to be driving our MS over my Avalon all the time. I know the Avalon, which is a really good car that I have loved for years, needs to get driven and unfortunately already had it jumped due to lack of use and older battery (and unfortunately couldn't jump it with our MS like we could with our Camry). OK one disadvantage of our MS. We also got our MS broken into this past week and smarting from the vandalism and $1200 repair bill. Since the perps were caught on our dashcam we saw that they pulled in across from us and directly went to our car. One of our concerns owning a Tesla would be a target for stuff like this. They did move on to a Honda Odyssey after ours so I know they'll hit any car that looks like it could have easy access to the cargo area. Felt good to be back in our car again and almost forgotten event.

OP have you taken your 75 for any mountain trips yet being in TN? Drove our 75D recently down south past San Luis Obisbo and it just seemed to float effortlessly along the road with the 7% grade.
It was a pleasure to take on a 2 hour drive to Sevierville, TN. Very smooth and kicked the pants off my older truck I used to take on the drive. Only issue I’ve had is the autopilot detected a steep grade up ahead and AEB kicked in at the base of the grade and I had to use my James Bond skills to avoid and further incident! Haha, but yes I’ll be taking many trips around here, mileage was about -10mi off of estimate per 100mi on the trip.

• Funny